Sign in to follow this  
Vedauwoo

what is this boat-type called?

As I was perusing some sailboat boards...came across this....what is the name of the type of vessel at the top....the 3rd and 4th from the left... (the two with the forward "v-masts" and a sorta upside down spinnaker/square sail)?

22191.jpg

Edited by Vedauwoo

I would say Crab claw rig would be the closest. :wacko:

These sails appear to be arranged in a square-rig fashion likely because they're sailing down wind. Usually they're fore-and-aft rigged so that they can sail close to the wind.

I have no clue. Looks like a very unhandy sail for anything but sailing directly before the wind. Maybe artists interpretation of something he doesn't know much about? Or maybe a hole in my knowledge? pirate_tong.gif

Edit:

Phred: The Crab claw rig is normally carried on a mast - here the two spars seem to work as each a mast, with the sail between them..? But it might be an interpretation of that type.. Hm, good point.

Edited by Bregir

I dont have the faintest idea but that picture just got "accidentally" saved into my LEGO/Pirates/Ships folder!

As I was perusing some sailboat boards...came across this....what is the name of the type of vessel at the top....the 3rd and 4th from the left... (the two with the forward "v-masts" and a sorta upside down spinnaker/square sail)?

The closest I could find with this sailplan was a Balinese Jukung. But the hull in the picture in the book I found it is praulike with an outrigger.

According to my guide the sailplan was Southeast-Asian, and dispersed towards Indian and Pacific cultures.