Vorkosigan

The Parrot Question

Best Parrot  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best LEGO Parrot?

• Solid color
    • Printed
    • Marbled

Having recently built a few 2015 pirates sets, I got my hands on the marbled two color parrot for the first time (I don't have any 2009 sets). To me this version doesn't quite have the appeal of the long running red printed parrot, but I was wondering what the consensus was. Face/beak printing on the marbled parrot is something I'd like to see. Vote for your favorite!

byOZDM2l.jpg

Edited by Vorkosigan

I like them both. Not all parrots look the same. I appreciate the variety. Especially within the marbled ones, no two are really the same.

Printed all the way, baby!! :laugh:

Actually the newer two-color/marbled parrot is decent but I still prefer the colorful old type by a big margin. Solid color is kinda bland, even though some of them really do look that way.

I'd like to see a new mold, with wings spread. But that's another subject altogether.

Interesting subject for a poll! :classic:

I said printed only because I think the marbled variety really needs printing/color on the face. Not even the beak so much, but around the eye. Without that, it really just looks like a dead hole in the head! With some kind of eye differentiation, it would be fantastic as I do like the natural variation that the marbled ones have.

I prefer the printed parrot but it's nice to have variety.

The printed parrots colours are very close to some real species.

I am all in for variety - thats why I am quite content with the marbled parrot, however I have to agree that the printed parrot looks more interesting

Lego should generally add more variety to their animals, more different animals and more differences within a species (wishful thinking I know)

It's really hard to vote... The old red printed parrot will always remain a true classic, but... on the other hand, I always kind of liked the solid ones. Especially the yellow one from the Caribbean Clipper, or maybe in this case it wasn't a parrot but a hawk, considering the ship's European name? Anyway, the yellow one was always special to me, considering how rare it was, and I had the pleasure to own one with my Clipper and was very happy about it (I would have to check that, but I think I have two yellow ones right now). And I had a dark grey one too, the one that came with 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost, and somehow, sometime I lost it, which really sucked. pirate_sad2.gif

The marbled one looks good too, it adds another species to your bird collection so I'm not complaining.

I like the printed best for nostalgia reasons and it feels more details, but without the new one I wouldn't have choice and its not that bad, I just need a few more to get a decent flock.

Also I would not mind a totally new mould with the wings spread open.

Id say I like them all basically, it gives a lot of play variety and I personally like to separate them and make them their own species each. BUT For the sake of the poll, IF I HAD TO choose one. Id say its the printed one. Why? Even if the print will eventually wear down sometimes, I still like how detailed it is compared to the marbled one. However, if I were to use them often and play, I would have to take the marbled one. Simply because its more durable.

Captain Becker

And I had a dark grey one too, the one that came with 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost, and somehow, sometime I lost it, which really sucked. pirate_sad2.gif

I don't have any yellow, but I do still have several dark gray parrots from 80s/90s castle sets. I didn't include them because I always assumed they represented falcons or crows. It would be nice to get some updated representations of those types of birds, other than just the Lone Ranger crow.

Its interesting to see there is a good bit of marbled support!

I always assumed they represented falcons or crows.

When I was a kid, I thought the grey bird from 6034 was a vulture. Anyway, after giving it much thought, I was the first person in here to vote for solid. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the classic red painted parrot, and the new one is nice too, it's just because the yellow bird from the Caribbean Clipper always felt so special to me. There was a time when I considered it one of THE most important bricks in my collection. pir_laugh2.gif So, regardless whether it's actually a parrot or not, I give it my vote. pirate_classic.gif

The printed ones look very nice, but there is more variation in the solid ones.

That's why I voted for solid. pirate_classic.gif

Solid birds are in red, brown, black, yellow, medium blue, medium green, dark grey, dark bluish gray and pink.

Did I miss one?

According to Peeron, they are also in light green, in 4+ Pirates no less, which is different from medium green used in Belville.

That's weird. On bricklink are the parrots only in medium green.

I looked at the set pictures and there are only medium green parrots.

Sorry for being off-topic. pirate_look.gif

Peeron could be wrong. Judging from the pictures the 4+ Pirates parrot and the Belville parrot look the same colour to me. I don't have the real thing so I can't really compare.

Peeron could be wrong. Judging from the pictures the 4+ Pirates parrot and the Belville parrot look the same colour to me. I don't have the real thing so I can't really compare.

4+ did come whit a light green parrrot. I got the ships from that series from my mom back then. I didnt really like them that much at the time, but they did come whit some usefull stuff. pirate_classic.gif For example: Im planning to build a treasure galleon from the Captain Red Beards ship hulls.

Captain Becker

EDIT: Somehow my + turned to x pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Captain Becker

I voted for printed, since it looks more colorful, like a parrot should. And probably partly out of nostalgia. But I like variety as much as all the other pirates here, so Im glad we have the other options as well.