13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be doing up a review on Police Boat. This is my first childhood police patrol boat which is my favourite among all the police vessels ever released by TLG. This is the kind of vessel which patrols the high seas in Classic Town ensuring that the water shores are safe from smugglers, pirates and any possible dangers.

Once again, there is another missing part which had been replaced by another type. Can you find it? Furthermore, in this set, there is a red air-tank and a black thick chin guard missing from this review. It can be used for one of the police officer, to change himself to the scuba diving suit. These missing parts will eventually be found and restored into the set. Please pardon me for the incomplete set. :tongue:

Name: Police Boat

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Floating Boats

Year: 1987

Pieces: 81

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD$15.50

An image of a 4010, Police Boat

1.jpg

Commence Operation Sea Rat

11.jpg

With this police boat in place, it's used to deter potential dangers that might pose to the country's coast. This lovely police boat has black and white primary color combination that is used in all police vehicle types. In fact, this is one of the better looking police boat which is used by the Police Coast Guard.

The police boat's design is quite similar to the ones which we had seen in reality. It managed to use less than 100 pieces to construct a medium sized boat vessel that looks really impressive. I love it very much. :wub:

Meet the Police Officers that is patrolling the national water

2.jpg

Every police boat will be attached with 2 police officers on board. As you can see that their uniforms varied from one another. The police officer on the left, wears an uniform with buttons. When I was a child, I always thought that this officer is like an inspector. While the officer on the right. wears an uniform with zippers. This officer will be reflected as a Sergeant or Corporal to ensure ground operations are in order.

This classic police torsos are my favourite among all of the police torsos ever released. I like the simple black and white look on their uniform with simple details printed on it such as their police badge worn on their left chest.

As you may have noticed, the Inspector is carrying a torch which differ from the orignal set. It was actually misplaced over the years. Therefore, I am using the other torch version which I had created for temporarily replacement. Hope everyone won't mind this small little mistake. :tongue:

Overview of the Police Boat

3.jpg

As you may have noticed that the black boat hull is the main feature piece that shape up the entire set. In fact, this boat hull is well-designed. This boat hull is very uncommon and is only available in two sets. The other one is the 4012 Wave Cops.

At the top of the ship, the boat mast was used as radio antenna for transmission. The transparent blue panels on its front and side adds on a little bright touch to the entire boat. The siren is placed on the top of its windscreen. There are 2 big torchlight placed at the front. It is used to spot lurking dangers or potential pirates hiding at the rocks formation especially in the dark.

Different views of the Police Boat

5.jpg

4.jpg

Let's take a look at the interior of the cabin

6.jpg

At the front of the steering wheel, there should be a blue seat for the police officer to be seated instead of standing while navigating the boat. I placed the blue seat at the bottom of the boat. Beside it, there is an arm or hook to place the red air tank which allow the officer to change to diving attire. At the rear, there is a long bar for the officers to place their equipments such as torchlight, tools and etc.

It can be lifted

7.jpg

This is one of the impressive playing feature included in the police boat. The top of the boat could be lifted upwards to place more police officers at the bottom cabin for them to rest or store their equipment. :wink:

Taking a clearer look of the cabin after taking it out

8.jpg

Taking the blue panel apart, it will reveal the black boat weight at the bottom which is maintaining the weight of the boat. The next picture will show you a quick glimpse of its weight.

Black Boat weight

9.jpg

Sharing their sea experience

Incident 1: Close encounter with Jaws!

12.jpg

The inspector is having an up close and personal with the hungry eating sharks. Geez, how could he be still smiling? :laugh:

Incident 2: Shipwreck survivors

15.jpg

Look, the inspector has spotted a band of shipwreck survivors. Are you sure they are genuine survivors? Look for clues from behind. :devil:

Geez, look at their friendly smiles!

13.jpg

How come ImperialShadows is back to his pirate life? :laugh:

Will the Inspector fall for their tricks? You decide the outcome! :wink:

16.jpg

See you next time

17.jpg

To summarise, this is one of the better looking police boats which make use of slimpicity, yet realistic design. It comes with 2 policemen on board. Some of you might find it too simple and may not present the true power of this police boat. However, I felt that this simple design is the key factor. Please tell me how you feel about this set. I am sure, not many members will like this set as much as others. :tongue:

Summary review

Playability: 9.5/10 (Which LEGO Town does not need a police boat to patrol national waters?)

Design: 9/10 (I love this design very much. A little improvement will be better such as storage cabinet at the bottom. It is a little empty)

Price: 8.5/10 (This set is a little expensive. Maybe, it is due to black boat hull.)

Overall: 9/10 (One of the most outstanding classic Police Boat.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Thanks for another great review! :thumbup:

Considering that this is a 1987 release, this kit is very nice. The design as a whole looks sleek and modern, and the two police officers are great! The only thing that bothers me is that the back looks a bit open - but that probably wouldn't be hard to fix. Overall, this deserves an above average from me. :wink:

Thanks for the review, I have a grudge against police sets, but this one is quite nice!

Those pirates are a nice addition :tongue:

what a great set it is. Thanks for the review, Whitefang! :thumbup:

Excellent review White Fang. This is truly a great little police boat. I esp. like the use of the trans. light blue window elements and the small train windows. Pieces like these really add value to the overall set. I also like that this boat has a small interior area for extra play value.

Pirates and Sharks! - oh my... You always have something creative to make your reviews interesting. I say throw those pirates to the sharks and confescate their rum. You can hide it the cabin of the boat and have a Policeman's Party. :laugh:

Thanks for the great review of this great set WhiteFang!

The cabin space is really nice to have and is something I wish more sets these days would include.

I also think that the canopy area with the steering wheel is good and the set's colors are nice.

I have a bad felling about those survivors though.... :oh3:

Thank-you for the review, WhiteFang. I always did want to collect the old floating boat sets, but I was only able to afford one of them (#4002 Riptide Racer) and this review has inspired me to look some of these up on Bricklink.

I am wondering whom is the one voted for "Poor". :angry:

Could the person justify why you voted for poor without explaining or justify why? This is such an amazing Classic Town set. How could anyone rate this set as poor! :sadnew:

Thanks for another great review! :thumbup:

Considering that this is a 1987 release, this kit is very nice. The design as a whole looks sleek and modern, and the two police officers are great! The only thing that bothers me is that the back looks a bit open - but that probably wouldn't be hard to fix. Overall, this deserves an above average from me. :wink:

Grevious, glad you loved this review. You have highlighted the great points on this set. :tongue:

Thanks for the review, I have a grudge against police sets, but this one is quite nice!

Those pirates are a nice addition :tongue:

Mind if I ask why you have a grudge against police sets? I am very curious. Yes, the Pirates was an inspiration to add in since I think it will be nice to match it in. :laugh:

Looking at this set, it reminds me of set 4011 (which I did a badly photographed review of :tongue: ) as it has a similar shape for some reason.

I had never seen that set before! Wow, it looks exact the same as mine. The only difference is, yours is a civillan while mine is a police boat.

Why don't you join the Reviewers Academy to improve on the photography? I will love to see you re-do that review! :wink:

Even ol whipersnapper VBBN has this set. And what a great set it is. Thanks for the review, Whitefang! :thumbup:

You are very fortunate to own this set as it's released back in the 1980s, which is older than you. :grin:

Excellent review White Fang. This is truly a great little police boat. I esp. like the use of the trans. light blue window elements and the small train windows. Pieces like these really add value to the overall set. I also like that this boat has a small interior area for extra play value.

Pirates and Sharks! - oh my... You always have something creative to make your reviews interesting. I say throw those pirates to the sharks and confescate their rum. You can hide it the cabin of the boat and have a Policeman's Party. :laugh:

Brickster, thanks for your kind comments. It's enjoyable to read your thoughts towards any Classic Town set. For sure, you have done well by highlighting the boat's main features. Glad you loved the Pirates and Sharks. We need to be inspired to try to add on something innovative. The rum from the Pirates' stash, is an awesome idea. :devil:

The cabin space is really nice to have and is something I wish more sets these days would include.

I also think that the canopy area with the steering wheel is good and the set's colors are nice.

Thanks Erdbeereis. I certainly wished that TLG could produce such boats again. In fact, this is my favourite patrol vessel in Classic Town. :blush:

Thank-you for the review, WhiteFang. I always did want to collect the old floating boat sets, but I was only able to afford one of them (#4002 Riptide Racer) and this review has inspired me to look some of these up on Bricklink.

I went to check what is 4002 Riptide Racer. It turns out to be pretty slick and cool. Such old floating boats certainly brings back lots of childhood memories. I do hope you are able to collect all of them. :sweet:

Mind if I ask why you have a grudge against police sets? I am very curious. Yes, the Pirates was an inspiration to add in since I think it will be nice to match it in. :laugh:

Well in Holland there is a very strict police force (at least the traffic cops are, quite some people are disturbed by it). LEGO also has a disturbing large police force I'm afraid. That is why we always put officers in a sea with a bunch of sharks or something like that :classic: some people actually notice :blush:

1980s....A set that I have that IS older than me...I also have some classic space.

I also want to point out that I got this set for free when I purchased some stuff somewhere. Now THAT was a deal.

I also want to ask, will you guys be doing a review on the larger police boat? I have that set as well. :cry_happy:

Edited by ~VBBN~

I had never seen that set before! Wow, it looks exact the same as mine. The only difference is, yours is a civillan while mine is a police boat.

Why don't you join the Reviewers Academy to improve on the photography? I will love to see you re-do that review! :wink:

I would if I had a real camera: I've been using a webcam this whole time! :tongue:

Well in Holland there is a very strict police force (at least the traffic cops are, quite some people are disturbed by it). LEGO also has a disturbing large police force I'm afraid. That is why we always put officers in a sea with a bunch of sharks or something like that :classic: some people actually notice :blush:

Opps, I must be watching too much movies, to give me such wierd inspirations :laugh: I thought most countries should have a large police force to maintain law and order. In any case, Policeman in LEGO town, has come a long way since the Classic Era. :wink:

I also want to ask, will you guys be doing a review on the larger police boat? I have that set as well. :cry_happy:

Which large police boat are you referring to? Anyway, a review on that boat will be lovely. :tongue:

This was one of my first sets; I remember playing with it in the bathtub quite frequently. I also had the little motor that attaches to the bottom of the hull!

Sadly, I am missing many of the pieces from this boat and am no longer able to put it together...hmm..Time for a bricklink order perhaps?

thanks for the great review!

You described most of my opinions, but you mised out on the boat base, which is awesome. The minifigures are also great. Good job WhiteFang!