SkaForHire

(Completed) Call to Arms! Battle of The Wither Woods (And LDD Ch

For the story, see the first thread about the War of the Brothers

The call for arms and the challenge are open to ALL guilds.

PART ONE: A CALL TO ARMS – The Battle of the Wither Woods

The battle of the Wither woods is coming. Dugal and Petera both need help to defeat the other. Which side will you choose? These battles will be fought in the same manner as the Battle of Queens Cross and the Battle of Khordeem. Meaning, you sign up your hero or squad, and I try to replicate them and get them into the battle. This Call to Arms is only for the first battle, the Battle of the Wither Woods. When you sign up, state the men you are sending and which brother they are supporting. Remember, Dugal fights for the Historica of present, while Petera fights for the Valkarian Order’s desire for a new stronger Historica.

How this works:

Basically, the battle will be fought out as a wargame, using rules that my brother and I have been working on for a LONG time. (This is also a playtest for us.) It will take a few days to get all the way through, but should prove to be epic.

The plan is simple. The call has gone out by raven , magic and other means to the far ends of Historica. Help is needed at the upcoming battle in the Wither Woods. If you wish to join the battle, send your small troop by mage, boat, or land to either North Avalonia (Petera) or Eastgate (Dugal). Some may make it for the start of the battle, and others might join in the thick of it as reinforcements.

Anyone that signs up while the battle is still going, we will try to get into the battle.

All we need is a pledge of men (1-10, although 10 may be hard to represent on the battlefield; the ideal number is squads of 5). I will try to represent your figures as closely as possible, but it might be hard to accurately represent some heroes or your actual men’s uniforms. (we can always chalk it up to artist’s interpretation)

We will then give your men (or women!) stats and bring them into battle. They will then fight in the battle to see if they can help win it for their side. If your hero or your men are known for a certain weapon style or ability, include it in your pledge. We will try to accommodate this in your character’s stats. You may want to also show us a picture of who you are sending, if you want us to try and replicate them.

WARNING: The soldiers you send may die – if you send a hero, you might want to tell us you would prefer they fell wounded or are likely to retreat. It is all luck of the dice (much like the tournaments that have been held)

The battle won’t start until Later in May, but I will keep checking the forums for new recruits and can add people all the way until the battle is done. So if you don’t make it before the battle, sign up at any point during the battle.

Anyway, I hope some of you will heed one of the brothers calls, and join them to defeat the other.

Post below your men and who you are pledging to help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contest thread has been moved to here. The text is the same as below though.

PART TWO: Bringing the pain

We are going to try something new this time around; we are going to have other people “build” weapons of war that will be used in both battles. The builders will build LDD models that we can use the show construction mode on. (Alternatively, a builder could photograph “instructions” to participate in this battle). Then, we will build some of these models for the battles.

This is what you have to do:

Create a separate thread for your weapon of war, then link it in a post on the registry thread.

The title tag for the LDD contest is {WotB}

In your thread you should have a completed picture of the siege weapon.

You should have the capability to email us the design or “print” it. (Links to this material in your thread are highly appreciated!)

You can add story to your weapon (maybe what company / person built it, etc…) You can also tell us what side you hope will use your weapon (Petera or Dugal’s). Is it a one of a kind weapon that has special properties? Or could there be multiple on the battle field?

There are two categories, and each builder can enter both up to three times.

The first category is Field Pieces. These will be used at the Battle of the Wither Woods. This battle will most likely take place in a lightly wooded area, but overall very few fortifications will be present on the field. The weapons can range from catapult to ballista, from twirling death machine to cow crusher… the limits are endless, other than it really should not be a siege engine.

The second category is Siege Engines. These should be the heavy duty battle machines that are designed to take down walls, assault fortresses, and get men in close to fight the enemy. The siege engines will be used later on in the year at the Battle for Eastgate. One caveat -- the portion of the battle portrayed at the end of summer will be an invasion from the sea... So, any siege weapons that fold up nicely, may have the upper hand in the judging. (MAY HAVE)

Specifications:

Since we are going to try and build these, we are going to set a 400 piece limit. You don’t have to use 400 pieces, you can use fewer. We just won’t be able to build anything larger than 400 pieces.

The one thing I do not have in my collection is a lot of technic gears and pieces, staying away from these would increase the chances of seeing your weapon in built form during the battle. However, containing many technic pieces won’t hurt your chance of winning.

Just like the call to arms, anybody in the Guilds of Historica can participate.

Deadline:

Field Pieces: May 15th

Siege Engines: September 30th

The winner of each category will be forever known as Artillery Captain of Eastgate or Siege Commander of Eastgate

Edited by SkaForHire

As I participated in the battle of Khordeem, and it was great fun, I should very much like to participate in this battle as well! I'll have pictures up later as my camera is being finicky, but the troops I send will be myself, my captain Malcolm Findlay, and a four man squad of his. I would prefer myself and Malcolm not be killed, but if it comes down to it I can always make a new character. I'll also be fighting with Dugal!

Character Info:

Lord Jakon:

Description:

Black hair, closely trimmed beard, looks to be around 42 years of age

Heavy plate armor

wields a claymore and shield

from the highlands

Captain Malcolm:

Description:

Black hair, stubble, looks to be in his early 30s

Chainmail lined black leather Duster (aka long leather trench coat)

wears a wide brimmed black leather hat

wields 2 battle axes and a crossbow

also a highlander

former member of a secretive order know as the "Inquisitors"

Soldiers:

Leather backed chainmail armor/scale mail armor

mix of sword and spears and shields

come from various places

I don't want to get attached to them

Edited by Jakon

Just wondering, as a newbie, how this sort of event affects other guilds. Have a few questions really:

Would members of other guilds declare for either brother and for what reasons? Would either of them hire mercenaries? Will there be a naval component to the battle?

Is this only open to one guild? Because I was thinking of joining Mitgardia, so would I be able to participate?

I'll be photographing a fig or two for Dugal's side, but I just wanted to ask if you want us to use those { } in the topic (both for this and the Avalonian cotton giving challenge), or just the letters inside the brackets? (Or most likely, it doesn't matter?)

Just wondering, as a newbie, how this sort of event affects other guilds. Have a few questions really:

Would members of other guilds declare for either brother and for what reasons? Would either of them hire mercenaries? Will there be a naval component to the battle?

Is this only open to one guild? Because I was thinking of joining Mitgardia, so would I be able to participate?

I apologize, I should have clarified that this is for all members of GoH. In the past, I have ran two events like this, every time members from all guilds have joined.

Both brothers would accept help from friends or mercenaries. Both have the money to pay. Since you are new and may not be familiar with the story that I and many others have been telling about Dugal and Petera, it might be easier to pledge based on mercenary contract. Those more seasoned to the story may pick a side based on loyalties or friendships. Or perhaps ideology? This is the first time we have taken pledges for both sides of the battle. Some people might sign up just to fight against others who sign up on the other side to settle old scores.

A little more for those on the fence: In the story, it is pretty well known that Petera was an apprentice to Victor Revolword, the last big bad guy of Historica. This is one of the reasons Eastgate was never attacked by elementals during the first set of challenges. However, as explained in the story, Victor was part of the Valkarian Order at one point before he went rogue. The order strives to stabilize and bring glory to Historica through a strong ruling class (IE: replace the weak king with a stronger king). Dugal on the other hand is a supporter of making what they have in Historica better. He does not believe that a strong monarch is necessary. Victor, for what we know is out of the picture, but Petera is trying to utilize a small part of Victor's strategy (the capture of major cities) to institute the Valkarian Order's goal of a new strong king. For Petera, the struggle to bring a ruler to the throne is just beginning. For Dugal, peace only comes when the last of Victor's plans are laid to rest.

As for naval battles, this battle will not include ship to ship combat. However, the Battle for Eastgate, later in the summer, will have a small naval component. Also, the siege engines portion of the LDD challenge is for Eastgate.

I'll be photographing a fig or two for Dugal's side, but I just wanted to ask if you want us to use those { } in the topic (both for this and the Avalonian cotton giving challenge), or just the letters inside the brackets? (Or most likely, it doesn't matter?)

Just the letters, but I would put it in some sort of bracket / parentheses --> () [] {} It is my effort to have the forums a little more organized! haha. Edited by SkaForHire

Declaring for Dugal, and posing photogenically in front of my previously un photographed Albion build, two separate groups come together to fight for Historica.

The Sunburst clan, which is based in Burnby, sends a small squad. Elvrich leads them, on his golden chariot. He brings two heavy infantry and two light infantry. (Spearmen)

13972736865_56b624b402_z.jpg

Also come Balgruff the Brown, the cleric of the Divine Father. He also brings his Pegasus, Othor, who is capable of fighting on his own, though the two are strongest when they are together. Balgruff can call on Divine Might to smite up to 5 enemies, but only once a day. He also has other minor magic and healing spells.

13949644566_5c6ecf13bb_z.jpg

Lastly are the Redmen. A group of people from all walks of life, they are united only by their piety to the Divine Mother. They are devoted to spreading peace, even through war, and will only kill if they have to. They will not kill unarmed prisoners, instead preferring to show the Mother's mercy. The lower members often hide their faces during battle, to remind themselves that the highest calling is peace. The mounted archers pictured here are peasants who joined to repel the unholy drow. Their horses are swift, but they are relatively bad shots. Also pictured is the Paladin Romak Norr, and the wandering priest/cleric/mage Bart Redson, who recruited them. He may also call on Divine Might, with the same limitations as Balgruff.

13972741925_5fe9056118_z.jpg

EDIT: All these people can die. However, the named characters would fight to the death, with the lower ranking Redmen being the most likely to run, and the heavy infantry being the least.

Edited by -Carson Haupt-

Sir Rex Marizrack (aka this guy

10697976866_5f8141c1d6_z.jpg

) would like to know whether Dugal or Petera will pay their mercenaries more :laugh:

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to build a small field piece IRL and enter it into the LDD contest if I explained what it was made out of and how to build it :look::wink:

Edited by Garmadon

My answer to arms!

13971474641_642885b6d0.jpg

Call to Arms Troops by TheUtilityBelt32, on Flickr

My sig-fig (middle) and his two werewolf generals, Kyle and Ramona. All werewolves. Me and Kyle being the wiser, will retreat and likely return to battle in wolf form. Ramona being a berserker, will fight to the death as a werewolf.

13974662615_8aedbc54c0.jpg

One highly respected, the other a drunk (Gleambeam), these two wizards will retreat to different scenes of the battle if things get tricky.

13971462942_44e3fb4962.jpg

These elves are the leaders of a tribe of sand elves near Eastgate. The right will fight to the death.

13951564186_7b6a762941.jpg

Last are the Carn infantry. They will also fight to the death.

All will fight for Dugal.

"For Eastgate!"

Sir Rex Marizrack (aka this guy

) would like to know whether Dugal or Petera will pay their mercenaries more :laugh:

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to build a small field piece IRL and enter it into the LDD contest if I explained what it was made out of and how to build it :look::wink:

This was supposed to cover that: "(Alternatively, a builder could photograph “instructions” to participate in this battle)." What I meant by this is that you could build the model, but photograph the major steps so that we could build it.

----

Great to see so many pledges so far... It gives me a chance replicate people more closely. And for those looking for the highest pay, we will flip a coin to see who offered more money -- after-all, the winner gets the treasury of GEAR Co... so they are being paid out of the same coffers! (Now that I think of it, that might mean you would not get paid if you chose the wrong side.) Currently Petera is in charge of the treasury if you want paid up front and have no allegiances, then I guess your mercenaries would pick him. Unless, of course, one of Dugal's friends were willing to pay the bills in advance for any mercenaries and receive payment after GEAR Co is back in his hands.

I can rep ogres... but only like 2. Yetis, unless we are talking about the orient adventure kind or the CMF kind, would be harder / impossible. But I do have 5 CMFs I believe, and like 10 of the orient adventures yetis.

On another note, I should say that this is mostly first come first serve for pieces! I have a pretty big collection, but for Queenscross, I was almost pushed to the end of the collection. pledges that come in early is more likely to look like they are supposed to.

Ok then, I was going to use a yeti, but I won't.

Also, some goblins the group encountered in the way heard there'd be loot, and decided to tag along. (Not sure if this would count for Field Pieces) On the back of their ogre beast, they can rain down arrows. However, only two fit, and one has to steer so... Yeah.

13953576526_33f0dc09a8_z.jpg

13973525821_9abe7ab0ec_z.jpg

An inside shot. It's pretty simple really. If you need more instructions tell me.

13973477852_ba628ed580_z.jpg

Also, I almost forgot. CANNON FODDER!! Though I guess it'd actually be arrow fodder but the same principle applies. Smallfolk and peasants that hopped on the journey hoping to win honor and glory, these are just a fraction of the host of farmers and other civilians that tagged along. Very few have actual weapons.

Masa sends for the support of Dugal, the Order of the Golden Mask, a heavy cavalry squad whose knights upon joining swear to forget their individual names and forever wear golden masks. Masa has also convinced Bishop Jamon for the Order of Aslan to provide funding for mercenaries. However Bishop Jamon warns that those mercenaries whose only motivation is gold are not to be trusted.

13973553641_5b41ca123c_c.jpg

On another note Masa supports the initial goal of the Valkarian Order to establish a strong ruling class, however despises their methods. He has plans of his own motivated in part by the counsel of Yesil the Grelf.

Edited by Mike S

This was supposed to cover that: "(Alternatively, a builder could photograph “instructions” to participate in this battle)." What I meant by this is that you could build the model, but photograph the major steps so that we could build it.

---

Great to see so many pledges so far... It gives me a chance replicate people more closely. And for those looking for the highest pay, we will flip a coin to see who offered more money -- after-all, the winner gets the treasury of GEAR Co... so they are being paid out of the same coffers! (Now that I think of it, that might mean you would not get paid if you chose the wrong side.) Currently Petera is in charge of the treasury if you want paid up front and have no allegiances, then I guess your mercenaries would pick him. Unless, of course, one of Dugal's friends were willing to pay the bills in advance for any mercenaries and receive payment after GEAR Co is back in his hands.

Thanks, I didn't really understand that before :grin:

As for the money situation, Rex will probably go with Petera "if you want paid up front and have no allegiances" sounds good to him :laugh:

I'll wait for the coin toss for a final decision though :classic:

I'm pledging to Dugal, but I don't have a picture of my character/soldiers at the moment. I do have them put together though, so I should have pictures of them up in a few days.

I'm in, pics of my troops will be shown later this day, or tomorrow

Edited by LegoPanda

Nar'Bilu plegdes for Dugal...

He is too occupied with the Drow investation, so he will send his commander

and battle cleric Reckare, together with 3 archers, a beastmaster and a gearman.

The story and pictures will be up later

Dmn you Carson, I also was building something around the cave troll.

Edited by narbilu

Carson, I think you are right, things like the cave troll would count as weapons of war. When I made the challenge I was thinking more artillery like, but massive war "machines" such as the troll rider and Mike's elephant would count towards the first part of the challenge, if you want to enter it as one of your entries.

Carson, I think you are right, things like the cave troll would count as weapons of war. When I made the challenge I was thinking more artillery like, but massive war "machines" such as the troll rider and Mike's elephant would count towards the first part of the challenge, if you want to enter it as one of your entries.

Ok that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I'll get a base made and take some decent pictures then get it up.

I have quite significant reinforcements En route from various of our trading posts. I think Dugal is going to get the majority of support from our fellow members, are you planning to balance that with Petera's forces? I hope this is not overkill, but if it is...good! Let's win!

:classic:

The PGTC's trading network and influence is spread wide across the land of Kaliphlin, and our allies answer the call to retake Eastgate. We must secure this vital port and reinforce the border against the Drow. All units will fight to the death unless mentioned.

From our headquarters in Petraea come some of our finest guardsmen

13995524834_b71906b799_n.jpg13991882001_de1139e865_n.jpg

The Heavy Cavalry are fast and use spears/pikes/halberds while mounted. If dismounted they switch to broadswords/axes/maces. The Sumhvit brothers Dave and John and their horses are heavily armoured. Shields and chainmail or armour for defence

Longbowmen - long range. Tight discipline, front rank defends with shields and loads while rear rank shoots, then switch. Daggers for short range hand-to-hand. Shield defence and chainmail armour

From the Eastern reaches, our Berigora office sends an infantry unit, and Qarkyr sends a platoon of Minotaur refugees

13991882671_aa3b227cc1_n.jpg13991849922_dc663ca45d_n.jpg

The Infantry are armoured and attack with javelins. They have a special move of "the tortoise", a shielded defensive formation which attacks with javelins.

The Minotaurs are strong but not armoured. They attack with tridents and have shields for defence. Longhorn the platoon leader is a berserker.

From the South, the Order of Eden in Mpya Stedor sends its famous sons the Five Swords, and the Mountain mummies of Ras el-Akhen send 3 units of light infantry melee fighters.

13991851422_d27be03fd7_n.jpg14015055223_65d3c5d42a_n.jpg

The five swords are skilled swordsmen, have shields but no armour.

The mountain mummies are undead, will retreat when beaten. Various hack/slash/bash weapons, carry shields but no armour.

The Mountain mummies also send the Goddess Horus and her Hippogriff

14015053463_8035782ee1_n.jpg

The Goddess will answer prayers from the mummies for healing. She can fly with or without the Hippogriff, and carry battlefield intelligence at speed. As an immortal, she cannot die but will vanish into the ether if beaten. She has both defensive magic and offensive, she can concentrate the power of the sun in fireballs.

From the gates of Barqa in the West come a unit of mounted archers and 5 Kaliphlin Knights of Legend

14015055013_68b9a2b93d_n.jpg13991879681_44bd2db708_n.jpg

Mounted archers are fast with a ranged attack. Shielded but not armoured. If dismounted they are all experts with daggers.

The knights and their horses are all heavily armoured and carry shields. Mounted attack with pikes/halberds/lances. If dismounted they fight as follows (left to right): Sir Ruadrih with the great sword Deathbringer, Sir Horace with a katana, Sir Inigo Stillwell with a morningstar, Sir Drandish with a battle axe, and Sir Falko with the broadsword Wolfsbane. Sir Inigo is a PGTC board member, and other fighters will try to rescue him if he is under mortal threat, although he will not retreat himself.

Le Duc LeStrange recruited a unit of Orcish Heavy Infantry on his recent visit to Sultan's Gate.

13971952036_0f844aa555_n.jpg

The orcs are heavily armoured and shielded, attack with scimitars. The leader Warren is a berseker.

From PGTC head office we dispatch our sorceress Byarssh with some beasts.

13991851612_ac58595e80_n.jpg

She will not fight directly, but can heal units from a distance. She also has the power to control any animals in the field of battle, such as scorpions, rats, cats and dogs. Cats will turn into tigers under her influence. She is protected by defensive magic and will retreat if beaten. The ostriches are fast and kick hard.

And from the shadows, Rasputin sends a pair of his most charming and capable lady friends.

13991847832_6e27fedb6f_n.jpg

These spies have the ability to charm their way behind enemy lines, and learn battle plans or assassinate key targets.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Well, that is an army in itself Robuko!!! I hope you don't mind if some of the units fight in an unrepresented flank during the battle -- I am not sure if I can make all the figs (I know I can't do the goddess, at least the Hippogryf).

As for balancing, it is looking like I will have to do a lot of it, since most people are picking the MacLean they know. I just ordered parts for Dugal's army, but they may have to fight for Petera in the coming battle(s) lol. I also don't know how long shipping from Germany takes, so they may not even make the battle. Since two of Petera's generals for this battle are Avalonian, I do have a lot of Avalonian looking figs that can oppose Dugal too.

Your posting makes me think we should have a general armies "show off" thread for Kaliphlin, since two of the three other guilds has one too.

Hoping to pledge some zombie Shadowmere Guard and maybe some orcs so Nocty gets a look in on this battle, probably declaring for Petera. That's if I can get my photo set up, well set up! This looks good though!