oracid

Lego XL Motor as generator / actuator

I think some will know this posibility, but I found nothing on the subject in YouTube.

The idea is to generate power with a motor used as an electrical generator.

It can also be used as actuator for remote control.

Yes, it's fun to play with, although I've only done lights. Interesting idea to make a remote crank that doesn't require batteries.... (thinking about a train crossing...)

I think one of the reasons you don't see a lot about this is because the LEGO E-Motor is supposed to be designed for this sort of thing, and supposedly more efficient at it.

I think some will know this posibility, but I found nothing on the subject in YouTube.

The idea is to generate power with a motor used as an electrical generator.

It can also be used as actuator for remote control.

Yes, it's fun to play with, although I've only done lights. Interesting idea to make a remote crank that doesn't require batteries.... (thinking about a train crossing...)

I think one of the reasons you don't see a lot about this is because the LEGO E-Motor is supposed to be designed for this sort of thing, and supposedly more efficient at it.

I feel like this would damage the motors, yes?

I did a small and reeeeally simple car with only drive and steering using XL motor as generators and M motor as actuators, there are no pics, it was built in five minutes. I played with it tested it for 15 mins and the motors are still working well.

I don't see why it would damage the motors, but given the E-Motor was specifically made for it, I'd probably defer to using it to generate power over other ones.

I think that that every motor, including the E-motor (but not the servo), has a similar internal design, the only difference is size of the motor and the gearing. Probably the E-motor is like a M-motor with no/less gearing and a different case. If that's true then I guess no motor should ever be damaged for being used as a generator.

I am neither a great nor a small physicist, but I would be very surprised if this could cause any problem.

Edited by oracid

any electrical motor, used as DC generator will have lower efficiency than generator. usually generators have AC output + some kind of diode bridge. i don't know exact details, it's all about efficieny. but any (or 99%) of motors can be used as generators without any risk.

any electrical motor, used as DC generator will have lower efficiency than generator. usually generators have AC output + some kind of diode bridge. i don't know exact details, it's all about efficieny. but any (or 99%) of motors can be used as generators without any risk.

I may agreed with that ! As you can see at about 0'50 of the video, when the crank turn 180°, the motor turn 90°.

It isn't the stators/rotors that's problematic, it's if there's gearing in there.
That's right... The problem is not motor by itself but gearing where is the most of load...Max...

Yes, I know there are gears in the generator, but as you can see in my video, the torque of my crank is not very high. It is up to each one to evaluate the best torque.

And about the gears of the running motor, well ... it is the same as with a battery.

Edited by oracid

@oracid,

you're right by so motion it is no problem... also by higher speeds (not incredible high of course) it should be no problem when rotation is constant or slow changing... The worst for gearing are quick changes in rotation, quick acceleration, quick stops etc... I know you know it, I yust mentioned that...

Max...

One way to gain efficiency is to use the less gear 9v motors. I have actually been building a flywheel accumulation hybrid system using a motors as generators.

that system was used in The LTR Race To make work lots od steerings without An RTC module, they used An XL motor with The coaxial 3:1 gearing (90 degree o The steering Wheel= 270 degree of the XL motor) and an M motor for The steering, unfortunatelly due To the loss of power also the speed of The generatore (almost only The speed) matter To generate energy so it was difficult To steer

Sad, i just haven't enough parts to test... If someone plan to build a prototype - shocking motor should power any energy emitter. Not just idle detail. Maybe another motor with output added to drivetrain. Or LED for simplicity.