Sign in to follow this  
sweetsha

[REVIEW] Ninjago | 70734 : Master Wu dragon

Name: 70734 : Master Wu dragon

Theme : Ninjago

Year: 2015

Pieces : 575

Price : 49,99€

Well this is no secret, I always was attracted by Ninjago sets that featured a dragon :classic:

After the titanium one that didn't convinced me (see review here) let's see what this one has to offer.

The box

18785845846_96902027d0.jpg 18189545454_e07dfd9110.jpg

Average sized box, with the new color scheme for this 2nd wave for this year. We left the jungle and there is now a very mystic atmosphere.

As always the back of the box shows the different play features.

Instructions / Stickers / Pieces

Instruction in 2 parts and a small sticker sheet.

18812132405_1d66af2aeb.jpg

And 5 bags of pieces :

18191498853_bf1288ae05.jpg

If you want a set with good/new/rare part assortment, this one is for you :wink:

18191496583_b35b61208a.jpg

Some parts with this new summer pale green, Uni-Kitty tails in tan, round tiles with pin in white and reddish brown, 1x3 reddish brown tiles, pieces rarely seen in white, and so on ...

To sum up - a very nice bunch of part !

Minifigures

Well, I do not know the details of this season's story, but our ninjas are now fighting some ghosts/spirits. I was not especially enthusiast when I saw 1st pics of these new villains but I had to say now I have some in front of me they are pretty cool !

Let's start with our good guys :

Cole (with his deepstone armor) : I'm more into the previous jungle outfits but this one looks nice.

18624427450_f890884804.jpg

Sensei Wu : New outfit with some great details (the belt with the dragons heads for instance). Small misprint between the legs but this is the only flaw I can find.

18814753651_60c0c68064.jpg

Both are armed, and Wu also comes with his teapot (that seems kinda magic according to the box)

18624362498_acedf837ca.jpg

Someone from the Arctic theme is also here - a husky (unexpected isn't it ?)

18191836923_9d6d6a5b1d.jpg

Then their opponents, starting with Soul Archer (seems that there are 4 main ghost generals - each with his particular weapon).

Love the ghostly bottom part, and his shoulder pads and headgear too :wub:

18624428030_f261a22913.jpg

Then Hackler with this beautiful headgear in 2 colors :

18814755051_545d9eefa2.jpg

And Pitch, maybe a peasant ghost ?

18814751971_4159ba86f5.jpg

These guys are also heavily armed - especially Hackler with this nice new ghost blade :

18812141045_cbfaf66285.jpg

They also have a smaller friend to help them - a ghost named Skreemer ...

18807456072_ef22d9a319.jpg

... that can also fit on a figure's head (possession maybe ?)

18814756401_10c165dfef.jpg

Build

We start with the small wagon/rickshaw that throws discs (very ghostly color scheme):

18625980909_ec2463fffe.jpg

Then what is supposed to be Sensei Wu's tea farm - or at least its entrance (with the famous aeroblade that stands there)

18625981899_c9a0c7aa5d.jpg

We now move on to the star of the set - the dragon itself ! :wub:

18807111892_48360211fe.jpg

Very interesting to build with a very good work on the head

18807110412_5f50412880.jpg

Pretty big size - and I love how the wings are made :

18189558994_0fcee21ba0.jpg

Even its belly is well built (this kind of hidden areas are often not very detailed so another good point here)

18807113552_be23b9da74.jpg

Of course Sensei Wu can ride it, and the dragon also carries his teapot and tea cups ^^

18625979829_63577ee08c_c.jpg

Remaining parts

Woaw, never seen as much remaining parts in a set of this size - almost 50 !

18189544354_6e0076374f.jpg

Opinion

I guess you understood that I am fully enthusiast with this one, the only bad point I could even see is maybe its price but well - it still worths it.

An amazing dragon, nice minifigures, various new/rare parts - what else could I ask for ?

It's good looking, it's definitively the kind of set you can immediately play with, etc ... well in my opinion here is the star of this 2nd Ninjago wave :classic:

And a last overall pic to conclude :

18625982729_39ae477f5e_c.jpg

Edited by sweetsha

This is one excellent review sweetsha! Good attention to minifigs and interesting/spare parts, well-photographed too!

I was never interested in Ninjago until now. And I remember good the first wave and how I laughed about it. But yet I have to say Lego did a brilliant job with the whole story. Children are loving it and the tv show is actually pretty creative and funny. And the sets gave us such an amount of insane parts over the years, this set is no exception. I guess I should start getting a few of them.

Thank you very much for the well made review. The pics are excellent and you highlighted everything that makes me start loving the spinjitsu.

Edited by Jacob Nion

Excellent review. This set is just amazing with wide assortment of playability and minifigures. :sweet:

It even contains a husky dog.

A tea-making Luck Dragon with a chainsaw tail versus a possessed rickshaw that shoots ghosts? And a crossbow-wielding husky defending a missile-firing tea farm from Slimer? If this doesn't take the title for most awesome set of the year, I don't know what does.

A tea-making Luck Dragon with a chainsaw tail versus a possessed rickshaw that shoots ghosts? And a crossbow-wielding husky defending a missile-firing tea farm from Slimer? If this doesn't take the title for most awesome set of the year, I don't know what does.

Hahah you could not have said this more awesome! I agree!

Now this might finally be my first Ninjago set ever, as it is that awesome. I really appreciate all the funny elements thrown together in a good equal manner without being too whacky - and still having all those asian elements that make Ninjago so great. I was always more a fan of the asian elements than of those whacky vehicles which were a little too off, and this is getting back to the roots. This is 110% Chinese Ghost story. Btw, I believe the dog is supposed to be a japanese Akita. They do come in grey from time to time. I guess I'm not the only one strongly reminded of Okami when seeing the dog, am I?

After building this set, I have question about "Cole's Mantle". Does any one else think the thing gripping the swords to much? I feel I am going to bend or break the swords taking it in and out of the mantle. Now I do have some of the older mantles and it does not seem to have this problem.

After I have read reviews, this was the Ninjago set that I have to get from the new wave. Well I bought and built it yesterday and all I can say is that it is an amazing set, totally worth the money, good value as well as you get 5 minifigures, a cute dog and a fantastic looking oriental dragon! I'm really happy with this set and highly recommend it to everyone even if you are a non-ninjago fan.

Great review!

The dragon and figures are great. And I didn't know that's a tea farm till I read your post.

Edited by songwm