Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

MOC: Florist and Greenhouse

Good morning all,

Here's my latest Moc for Brickington. Like every other Brickington building, it's built on a Market Street Modular base of 16x16. And of course as has become my tradition, I'll introduce it in narrative form. Without further ado...

With the rapid commercial growth following the installation of proper ferry service, Brickington Island has become something of a destination, not only for travelers and vacationers, but also for those seeking an attractive location for special events. Young couples especially are finding that a short ferry ride can connect them and their guests with a beautiful location for their wedding at a price far below that of the more expensive locations in LEGO City.

Thus has arisen the need for a whole host of cottage industries, not the least of which is a florist. Mateo and Kristie Kunjufu have setup their flower shop in the heart of Brickington in a classic restored limestone facade structure where they have built a proper greenhouse on the roof, and living accomadations in the middle floor. The Kunjufu's and their shop have quickly become a fixture of Brickington social life. A Master Botanist, Mateo immigrated to Brickland as a boy some 15 years ago. Native Bricklandian and Brickingtonian Kristie on the other hand is rebuilding her life in Brickington, after leaving the island as a small girl following the demise of her father in what her mother will only refer to as the day of green death.

Here's the front facade.

florist_front.jpg

Here's the left facade. I wanted to make the left facade attractive. Unlike the sides of most buildings, this side will be visible, as it will be located along side a small canal.

florist_lt_side.jpg

Here's the rear of the building, quite plain, but showing a bit more of the greenhouse.

florist_rear.jpg

As with several other of my buildings, (Tomaselli's Italian dining, police station, etc) I've created a completely alternate facade for one side of the building. Whether for use on a corner, or simply turning it sideways to create a new building, I like my modules to be as flexible as possible.

florist_rt_side.jpg

Only a third or so of my structures have interiors, but I've been thinking for some time that I should be creating more detailed interiors for all my modules. Consequently, this module has a full interior on all three floors. I'll post each floor's interior and exterior shots in later posts.

Edited by TheBrickster

very nice work, i bet it's a relief for residents not to have to rely on fake plastic foliage, now your florist can supply the fresh blooms!

excellent-o-lego!

hope to see those interiors soon

brick on!

barry over and out!

10-4

Edited by barry

Brickington has become the "place to be" Eilif. :thumbup: With great buildings going up every so often, it's nice to see the town expand - and men like us always need a "make it right" store like a florist shop. I think the idea to combine a florist shop with a green house is a very clever idea.

I like the additions of the green 2x2 plates and green striping used throughout the building. The sun roof looks fantastic!

The combination of yellow and green colors look good as well (yellow + green = sun flowers: Nice!)

My only suggestion is perhaps a large sign on the front of the building, perhaps above the door (although I like the little yellow piece/decal to the right of the door). Nice addition!

This is a fine addition to Brickington. I'll probably be visiting before the day is over. :laugh:

This is very nice! :thumbup:

Some interesting architecture - the 2nd floor ovals, the flowers integrated into the left facade and the skylights are of particular note. I am sure the Otters will take a good look at this as they are building a flower shop of their own!

Brickington has become the "place to be" Eilif. :thumbup: With great buildings going up every so often, it's nice to see the town expand - and men like us always need a "make it right" store like a florist shop. I think the idea to combine a florist shop with a green house is a very clever idea.

I like the additions of the green 2x2 plates and green striping used throughout the building. The sun roof looks fantastic!

The combination of yellow and green colors look good as well (yellow + green = sun flowers: Nice!)

My only suggestion is perhaps a large sign on the front of the building, perhaps above the door (although I like the little yellow piece/decal to the right of the door). Nice addition!

This is a fine addition to Brickington. I'll probably be visiting before the day is over. :laugh:

Thanks Brickster,

I think the florist will be integral to the marital health of Brickingtonians. I'm glad you like the green, I found a whole bunch of 2x2 round green plates and 1x4 green tiles, and it was a total blessing. It wouldn't be half as nice without them.

As for a sign, I think you may be right. In the layout it will need something to definitively show that it is a florist and not just someone who likes flowers. I may make a hanging sign, or maybe just some tilted bins of flowers out front, but it does need something...

This is very nice! :thumbup:

Some interesting architecture - the 2nd floor ovals, the flowers integrated into the left facade and the skylights are of particular note. I am sure the Otters will take a good look at this as they are building a flower shop of their own!

Thanks, The ovals were a pain in the butt. I'll give more info when I get to the second floor pics.

I may steal some ideas from the Otters, I love their flower truck.

excellent-o-lego!

hope to see those interiors soon

You asked for it...

All right, I couldn't resist. I need a quick break from work, so here's the first floor.

florist_1st_front.jpg

View looking from the front of the store towards the back. Kristie in the white hat, attending to a customer. You can't see it, but she has the very appropriate yellow floral pattern torso.

florist_1st_int.jpg

From the rear of the shop, looking out. Perhaps this customer doesn't like the price of the daisies?

florist_1st_int_out.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Eilif

great interiors!

my fave is from the back of the shop looking out, good composition, + really looks like a decent spread of flowers!

you divorce rate in Brickington are bound to fall now!

keep it inter locking!

barry over and out!

10-4

Another great building for Brickington Eilif! Well done! Every building of yours has its own "character" and the expansion of the city continues steadily. :thumbup:

The details on the front are great! :thumbup: Now, for me the photos that really give the actual feeling of a flower shop are the two interior ones! The place is filled with flowers coming from literally everywhere, just like a real flower shop!*starts singing "It's a jungle in there"* :grin:

Brickington has become the "place to be" Eilif. :thumbup:

I second that. :thumbup:

Astounding as always, Eilif! I love the I love the interior especially, though the exterior is great as well. I must say though, that I myself am not the biggest fan of the yellow accents on the building. My only suggestion would be to change that.

Oh my god! Can't believe it! You totally beat us to it :]

Just took the first preliminary shots of our finally finished Florist, however they're not good enough for a presentation... Imagine my surprise, logging in to see a Florist MOC!!! Lol :] Great minds, I guess!

Anyway, you've done some very nice work on the interior there... from personal experience I can say that furnishing a MOC is half the fun of building it, I'm sure you'll agree :) Love the use of the round plates in the columns too!

great interiors!

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.

Another great building for Brickington Eilif! Well done! Every building of yours has its own "character" ...

I've been trying to make each building unique, I'm glad that has come across in the final products.

Astounding as always, Eilif! I love the I love the interior especially, though the exterior is great as well. I must say though, that I myself am not the biggest fan of the yellow accents on the building. My only suggestion would be to change that.

You will be pleased to know that the yellow accent side is more of an alternate building, than a part of the flower shop. Most of the time it will be hidden by the adjoining building, and when it's visible, the "front" side will likely be hidden.

Oh my god! Can't believe it! You totally beat us to it :]

Just took the first preliminary shots of our finally finished Florist, however they're not good enough for a presentation... Imagine my surprise, logging in to see a Florist MOC!!! Lol :] Great minds, I guess!

Anyway, you've done some very nice work on the interior there... from personal experience I can say that furnishing a MOC is half the fun of building it, I'm sure you'll agree :) Love the use of the round plates in the columns too!

Sorry to steal your thunder... You're florist truck was a great inspiration to me to get work on building my florist. I'll be watching for yours.

Now then, here's the second floor, and my hand, and a cat...

florist_2nd_ext.jpg

The flower window was meant to look like some of the antique stained glass windows that are seen in many turn of the century homes. Unfortunately the piece it is on is an 8x3x2 red Fabuland brick that required some careful positioning and concealing. Getting the upside down arches to stay in place was also a bit of a chore. In the next pic you can see how I allowed for the bulk of the pieces holding in the arches, and tried to disguise the back of the red fabuland brick.

florist_2nd_int.jpg

Lastly, here's the view from the other side of the interior. The couch is actually the last remaining piece of furniture from a 1 brick to one foot model I made of a house my wife and I were considering buying a few years ago. We didn't buy it, and the LEGO version was demolished shortly thereafter.

florist_2nd_int_in.jpg

That's all for now. I'll be back with the last floor late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Edited by Eilif

A very friendly looking house indeed, the color scheme and the flowers on the facade´re working great,

the greenhouse on top´s brilliant (and could work well for Poison Ivy´s hideout too :tongue: ), and the interior

looks also very good, especially the store room. :thumbup:

A very nice greenhouse indeed. :thumbup:

And a fine interior-very cozy!

Some thought was definatly put into those areches, so I applaud you for that.

-VBBN

Some thought was definatly put into those areches, so I applaud you for that.

-VBBN

Thanks VBBN, I really like the way they turned out, I think inverse arches will make alot of appearances in future Brickington buildings.

A very friendly looking house indeed, the color scheme and the flowers on the facade´re working great,

the greenhouse on top´s brilliant (and could work well for Poison Ivy´s hideout too :tongue: ), and the interior

looks also very good, especially the store room. :thumbup:

Since you mentioned the greenhouse, and it's getting near my bedtime...

Here's the rear of the greenhiouse. A nice view of a variety of plant life.

florist_3rd_rear.jpg

The front of the greenhouse. Who's that inside?

florist_3rd_front.jpg

The roof of the greenhouse removes to reveal Mateo tending his flowers.

florist_3rd_overhead.jpg

Another shot if the interior. Not totally necessary, but it does show one of my favorite flower techniques. Flower heads pushed on the ends of LEGO bushes. I had to use forceps to hold some of the branches stiff enough to get the flowers on, but the results are well worth it.

florist_3rd_int.jpg

Hope you enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Kunjufu's Flower shop.

Sorry to steal your thunder... You're florist truck was a great inspiration to me to get work on building my florist. I'll be watching for yours.

Not at all mate! It is actually great to see another Florist MOC, besides there's room for any and all ideas here :classic: The flower buds-on-bushes thing is a wonderful idea... I might consider stealing it from you ;]

P.S.: Can't wait to see this one next to the canal you're planning!

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

Thanks VBBN, I really like the way they turned out, I think inverse arches will make alot of appearances in future Brickington buildings.

Aye, I might try my hand at it as well, I just need to get some more arches. All I have a dark blue ones.

This is really an amazing MOC, Eilif, not only very accurated but a great design too! :thumbup:

I'm planning a Flower Shop MOC of myself and you gave me VERY interesting ideas :wink: