Jim

[TRIPLE] Technic Triple Build Contest Information

LegoTechicContest-TripleBuild.jpg

TRIPLE BUILD

It's been a while since the last contest (To Sail A Technic Sea), so we are very happy to announce a new contest.

DESCRIPTION

Create three small-to-medium sized models which relate to or interact with each other and preferably display them in their operating environment or natural habitat.

For example

A small airplane, a “Follow Me”-car and a transportable escalator to load and unload passengers.

You can photograph these models at an airport....don't try the runway though :tongue:

DEADLINE

Entries must be posted before 1:00 PM GMT, December 1st, 2013 so you can build all night on Saturday :wink:

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Maximum of roughly 500 parts per model, with a combined maximum of 1500 parts (*).
  • Chain links and tracks don't count toward the part limit.
  • Electronics (PF, Mindstorms, etc) are allowed.
  • Display environment doesn't have to be brick built, but no Photoshop.
  • Display environment is not mandatory but will be highly appreciated.
  • Each model should be different (so no 3 cars).
  • The models don't need to be vehicles.
  • A trailer counts as a separate model, as long as they can be separated.
  • The three models should serve a different purpose (so no 3 GBC modules).
  • There should be at least some Technic functionality.

(*) We know that establishing the part count can be tricky, so we're not expecting an exact number for each model.

Just keep it small-to-medium sized. To give you an indication; the 9394 Jet Plane has 499 pieces.

9394 Jet Plane with 499 pieces

GENERAL RULES AND RESTRICTIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Voting is only allowed for existing members (which means member date before start date of contest)
  • If there's a tie my vote and Blakbird's will count twice. If there's still a tie, Staff members will decide who wins.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously).
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Ropes/Strings, rubber bands and pneumatic tubing are allowed exceptions.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Chromed parts are allowed, as long as they are based on original Lego parts.
  • Model Team is allowed, but function prevails over aesthetics.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • Every entry should have a name.
  • Creating a WIP topic is allowed. The title of this topic should begin with "[TRIPLE]".
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 10 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution.
  • Entries may include 3 videos.
  • Entries may be linked to a folder with additional images (of any size) and videos.
  • Minor Photoshop actions are allowed, like removing background distractions.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

PRIZES

The prize winners may choose between two selected prizes.

1st Prize

8110 Unimog or 9398 4x4 Crawler

tn_8110-1_jpg.jpgtn_9398-1_jpg.jpg

2nd Prize

42000 Grand Prix Racer or 42008 Service Truck

tn_42000-1_jpg.jpgtn_42008-1_jpg.jpg

3rd Prize

42004 Mini Backhoe Loader or 42007 Motor Cross Bike

tn_42004-1_jpg.jpgtn_42007-1_jpg.jpg

Special thanks to TLG's Community Support Team for providing these awesome prizes! :excited:

QUESTIONS REGARDING THE RULES

• Part count is max 500 parts per model? Yes, it is.
  • Total count is max 1500 parts? Yes, but no 50, 50 and 1400 parts. Max 500 per model.
  • Can I make 3 GBC modules? No, you can't.
  • Can I use chromed parts? Yes, as long as they are based on official Lego parts.
  • Can I use third party Mindstorms parts or sensors? No, you can't.
  • Does a trailer count as a model? Yes, as long as it can be separated.
  • Can I MOD an existing model or MOC? No, new MOCs only.
  • Any restrictions when I brickbuild the background? No, they don't count for the part limit.
  • Can I use Photoshop to create a background? No digital background.
  • Can I use Photoshop to do some minor improvements on my presentation? Yes, some minor improvements are allowed.
  • Can I add sounds or music to my video? Yes, you can.
  • Do chain links and tracks count toward the part limit? No, they don't.
  • Can I use non Lego ropes/strings? Yes, you can.

My fingers start itching. I really like the limited part count. This way originality wins, not just plain size combined with the most PF parts. Having to create 3 relating models gives it a mind boggling twist. Good thing i finished my stopmotion production set for the holidays last night. My desk is empty and waiting for the technic parts to be spread.

Since they are only for aesthetics, I'd say....why not.

I will update the contest rules.

Added:

"Chromed parts are allowed, as long as they are original Lego parts."

That might not be entirely clear.

This is better:

"Chromed parts are allowed, as long as they are based on original Lego parts."

All contestants post their entry in the Entry topic (which I will create shortly).

On December 1st I will close the Entry topic and start a Voting topic.

In the Voting topic, you all need to vote for your favorite models.

I am thinking of using 10 points and 3 votes with a maximum of 5 points per model.

For example:

"entry name 1" = 5 points

"entry name 2" = 3 points

"entry name 3" = 2 points

or

"entry name 1" = 4 points

"entry name 2" = 4 points

"entry name 3" = 2 points

In the end I will summarize all points and we will know the winner(s).

I will post the exact voting rules in the Voting topic in due time.

Great a competition im looking forward too. I tried to make a camper in technic but failed with fitting it in the scale. The only downside is I'll be moving house over Christmas so could prove interesting with having to bag up the Lego. Time to get my thinking cap on!

Is it possible to do a truck, trailer and small car at trailer? Truck and small car are both cars, but different.

?

Great Jim :thumbup:

While there's a 500 piece limit for each model, I see no such restrictions for the background/enviroment, correct?

Also the use of PS is a little unclear. I guess you can NOT design background enviroments in PS but you CAN use PS to remove noise, correct?

Good questions rm8

1. Is it valid to do a car and a truck ?

2. Is a trailer eg one towed by a car or truck , valid as 1 of the 3 models?

Is it possible to do a truck, trailer and small car at trailer? Truck and small car are both cars, but different.

Sure! That's no problem.

As long as you don't create three similar models, like a blue, red and green car :sweet:

Good questions rm8

1. Is it valid to do a car and a truck ?

2. Is a trailer eg one towed by a car or truck , valid as 1 of the 3 models?

1. Yes, see previous comment.

2. A trailer is fine! Like in the contest image :sweet:

This looks to become an awesome contest. Maybe i should join it to :)

Maybe schmaybe....do it :laugh:

I have added the line:

"A trailer counts as a separate model, as long as they can be separated."

Damn, I'm at school, and now I can't focus, to many ideas spinning around in my head!:-)

No restrictions in regards to power functions, pneumatics or other specialized parts? Everything made by the Lego group is g2g?

An idea popped into my head almost immediately, and I'm sitting here doing preliminary sketches while the lecturer is saying something about viscous flow I think:-)

Edited by D3K

No restrictions in regards to power functions, pneumatics or other specialized parts? Everything made by the Lego group is g2g?

No restrictions, as long as it's official Lego (with some exceptions stated in the index post).

PS If you're doing a trailer, make sure the trailer and towing vehicle can be separated.

3 separate gbc modules? MODS or just MOCS? Third party NXT/EV3 sensors?

Edited by TasV

3 separate gbc modules?

Debatable....but I reckon this is the same as three cars. So no.

The three models should somehow serve a different purpose, which is not the case for three GBC modules.

I have added the rule:

"The three models should serve a different purpose (so no 3 GBC modules)."

Am I right in assuming that it's 500 pieces per model as in 1500 pieces all together?

Yes sir!

3 separate gbc modules? MODS or just MOCS? Third party NXT/EV3 sensors?

No GBC modules

Should be non-existing models, so no Mods

No third party NXT or Mindstorms parts

Can I make a suggestion? If you make a change to the rules can you please make them a colour other than black so it immediately stands out?

Great Jim :thumbup:

While there's a 500 piece limit for each model, I see no such restrictions for the background/enviroment, correct?

Also the use of PS is a little unclear. I guess you can NOT design background enviroments in PS but you CAN use PS to remove noise, correct?

No restrictions for the background environment. If you are brickbuilding the background, there's no part limit. Obviously, the emphasis should be on the actual models, not the background. Real life background environment is appreciated :sweet:

No designing of backgrounds in Photoshop indeed. But you can use Photoshop to do minor corrections, like removing noise.

Can I make a suggestion? If you make a change to the rules can you please make them a colour other than black so it immediately stands out?

+1

Also, to be absolutely clear on the 1500 total parts: no two models with 50 pieces each, and one with 1400,right?

Sure!

+1

Also, to be absolutely clear on the 1500 total parts: no two models with 50 pieces each, and one with 1400,right?

A maximum of roughly 500 parts per model, so no 50, 50, 1400.

Might want to pin this topic?

Topic has been pinned! :thumbup:

I have added your questions (and I will add future questions) to the end of the first post. That way you all have a clear understanding of the rules.

Is it allowed to insert sound of engine, wind, construction beep beep etc into the triplets video presentation via computer?

Or at least just one sound?