Sign in to follow this  
Pirate Pete

The Cremating of Darth Vader

My entry for the Epic Scenes Contest is the scene in RotJ where Luke Skywalker is cremating his father on Endor. Enjoy!

luke_1.jpg

This is an overall action shot. as you can see, Luke is watching his father's corpse burn in the middle of an open spot in the forest...but wait! Who is that beside Luke?

luke_2.1.jpg

Here is a close-up shot to show all of the minifigures and the burn site. I don't quite remember if this was in the movie, but I'm sure that the ghose of Ben Kenobi would be watching too. As you can see, the burn site is using a Snot technique on the sides, the center of the fire is a lava monster's head, and the blue fire piece is Anakin's force spirit leaving his body. I purposely used a yellow-skinned Ben for a nostalgic look.

luke_3.jpg

This overhead picture is just to show that my MOC is on a 16x16 baseplate.

I hope you liked my entry! coments and constructive criticism are gladly welcomed.

Edited by Pirate Pete

nice one, but please take better pics. also vader had his mask on while he was burning(actually it was only the armor that was burning, Anakin Skywalker became one with the Force before Luke left Death Star)

I like the fire pit, but otherwise, you need more plants. It's too open IMO, especially since it's a forest with tall trees and such. And just to let you know, Vader had his helmet on in the fire.

200px-Anakinfuneral.jpg

I like the little pyre and the burning but I really think you should make this a small-category entry. Since there is very little going on besides the burning, making it small will increase your chances of success, since other medium entires will have a more-packed baseplate. Alternatively, you could work on the setting a bit more and make it a really awesome clearing in a jungle.

Still, the structure is very nice, so you've got a good starting point.

could a Mod change the description of the topic to say "Epic Scenes Small"? Thank you.

thank you all for the suggestions. I made this a small entry, put DV's helmet on, changed around the fire a little bit, and more closely confined the trees. hope you guys like it!

I have tried various methods, but that is as straight as vader will lie down. Sorry. I also think it turned out alot better the second time.

I have tried various methods, but that is as straight as vader will lie down. Sorry. I also think it turned out alot better the second time.

Sure there are, just look at ACPin's as a reference.

It's a nice start for your entry Pirate Pete, though you could still improve it. Like what everyone else said, put more plants, trees, bushes. Also, since the burning took place at night, use a black background rather than a white one to set a 'darker somber atmosphere'. Then maybe you could highlight the flames using Photoshop to emphasize the 'burning-at-night'-effect.

i like it much better, but still think you can do better. For the place where comes Vader's helmet, you can make a gap that i can fit in but will not be noticed by us. Actually you dont need Obi-wan to be there, or may be you can put yoda's and Anakin's ghosts next to Obi-wan, they can watch Luke. And please for your sake take better pictures.

Much better. Maybe you'd want to make Luke's body facing the fire too :classic:

The photo is still a little blurry, it might take away some votes from your entry just because of the relatively poor quality of the photo(s). Also, if you could still fix the black background effect I was suggesting.

I added some more stuff and I think it turned out alot better.

Added: Black background, better pics, and Anakin's spirit leaving.

Thank you all, are there any more suggestions?

Oh, and Vader is lying down straighter and the center fire was moved up.

I like what you've done, but your Luke fig looks so white, I thought he was suppose to be a ghost for a second there. Not sure if your flash just caught it wrong or what. I agree, it might be better as a small entry. The flames look good though.

to answer anybody's questions, these are the best pics that I can take. my camera is HORRIBLE! it doesn't even have a flash. I repeat, these are the best pics that I can take.

A great scene to depict.

Your pictures are extremely blurry and it's kinda hard to make out exactly what you've build.

I suggest redoing your photos - perhaps someone you know has a better camera to shoot some new pics with?