Jump to content


Dud Bolt's Podracer


21 replies to this topic

#1 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2091
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

If you didn't see Gasgano's podracer, here is a link.
So, for my next podracer, I chose Dud Bolt's podracer. Let's introduce our racer, first:
Posted Image
Dud Bolt was quite hard to get into minifig scale. Now, for the podracer:
Posted Image
Hope you enjoy!

#2 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3493
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

This is better than your last one JackJonespaw :thumbup:, I love the claw like end of the engines, and the tall bits on the rear of them.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • On a Title Roll


    Posts: 20372
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree, this one looks better than your last. I think you got the shaping done better than last time, especially on the back end where you've gone studless with the curved slopes.

#4 WampaStomper

WampaStomper

    Posts: 88
    Joined: 04-February 12
    Member: 25637
    Country: Tatooine

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

This is one of the best Podracer MOCs I've ever seen. As Brickdoctor and Mr Man said, it is better than your Gasgano's Pod, especially the engines.

Are you planning on doing more Podracers?
The mouse is mightier than the Wampa, just as the pen is mightier than the sword.
Bigger is almost always better, but the key word is ALMOST!
"One brick to rule them all, one brick to find them, one brick to bring them all and in the darkness build them."

#5 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 3794
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Very nice, though I'd move the engines out a bit more so the ropes/wires aren't stiff straight.
Flickr, My Collection

Posted Image
Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 36.5 Necromancer
Inventory


#6 Oky

Oky

  • RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher


    Posts: 8710
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Not bad, but unlike your first podracer, this one doesn't look very accurate. If you look at some reference pics, you'll see that the engines are much longer and the the top part is hollow. Also, the cockpit is way not as wide.

Posted Image


I thought you were gonna post all your podracers in the other topic with Gasgano's. :look:  I'll amend that in the index.

#7 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2091
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostOky, on 12 February 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Not bad, but unlike your first podracer, this one doesn't look very accurate. If you look at some reference pics, you'll see that the engines are much longer and the the top part is hollow. Also, the cockpit is way not as wide.
Posted Image
Thanks for the picture. This was the one I found: Posted Image
I'll make the appropriate changes ASAP.

#8 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 478
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='Oky' date='12 February 2012 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1329027964' post='1201459']
Not bad, but unlike your first podracer, this one doesn't look very accurate.

While I’m all for accuracy in MOCs, I do believe there should be room for artistic interpretation. I think this MOC is beautiful and recognizable as is. Another good piece JackJonesPaw! Keep up the good work! How many pieces in this one?
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image   
flickr

#9 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2091
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostDapper-D2, on 12 February 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

How many pieces in this one?
1938 pieces!

#10 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1138
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Nice looking LDD, even from the picture you referred from the engines you done look a little squat and how would you propose to fix that 1x1 cone to Duds face lol?
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#11 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2091
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostBrickmamba, on 13 February 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Nice looking LDD, even from the picture you referred from the engines you done look a little squat and how would you propose to fix that 1x1 cone to Duds face lol?
I had to use a few LDD tricks. Of course, if this was a real Lego model, the head would be a mold.

#12 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1138
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 13 February 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I had to use a few LDD tricks. Of course, if this was a real Lego model, the head would be a mold.
I see fair enough I have never used LDD before so assumed everything designed in it should be buildable with real bricks
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#13 Oky

Oky

  • RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher


    Posts: 8710
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 12 February 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the picture. This was the one I found: SNIP
I'll make the appropriate changes ASAP.
That one is of the model from the videogame which was already inaccurate/modified. It's OK if you want to base your MOC on that one, but like Brickmamba said, even that one has much longer engines.
Great! Looking forward to it. :classic:

View PostDapper-D2, on 12 February 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

While I’m all for accuracy in MOCs, I do believe there should be room for artistic interpretation. I think this MOC is beautiful and recognizable as is. Another good piece JackJonesPaw! Keep up the good work! How many pieces in this one?
I disagree. I believe if you're making a recreation, it can never be too accurate, and if you allow yourself creative freedom, it's your own interpretation adaption of the source material, not a recreation. :wink:
And there is no doubt that this is a beautiful MOC either way. :thumbup:

#14 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 478
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostOky, on 14 February 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:


I disagree. I believe if you're making a recreation, it can never be too accurate, and if you allow yourself creative freedom, it's your own interpretation of the source material, not a recreation. :wink:
If it weren’t for artistic interpretation we would not have the beautiful Chibi builds by MOOD and JackJonesPaw with the oversized heads! So lets agree to disagree!   :wink:

View PostOky, on 14 February 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:




And there is no doubt that this is a beautiful MOC either way. :thumbup:
Agreed! I like his color selection too!
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image   
flickr

#15 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • On a Title Roll


    Posts: 20372
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostDapper-D2, on 14 February 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

If it weren’t for artistic interpretation we would not have the beautiful Chibi builds by MOOD and JackJonesPaw with the oversized heads! So lets agree to disagree!   :wink:
Chibi builds aren't recreations. They're more of adaptions. They don't attempt to recreate the characters as shown in the movies. Rather, they adapt the characters to a different style. (unless, of course, they are modeled after someone else's Chibi characters, LEGO or otherwise, in which case they are recreations of that other Chibimodel and contain no artistic interpretation as far as adapting the character to Chibi style is concerned - rather, whoever built the reference model is then the person who took artistic interpretation in adapting the character, but he didn't recreate it)

Artistic interpretation is mostly found in smaller things, like the oversized engine glow in my Mini ARC-170, which is there only for the reason that it looks cool. :laugh: When you change something into a completely different style, such as when you build a Chibi version of a character, you are taking artistic interpretation in an adaption, not a recreation. In any case, I think it's clear that this MOC is meant to be a recreation. Oky's saying that when you build a recreation, you should try to be as accurate as possible. Of course, if this MOC wasn't intended to be a recreation, then that doesn't matter...

I do agree that a certain amount of artistic interpretation should be allowed, but I don't think that it should or can be used as justification for large inaccuracies, such as filling a large section of a model or shortening an entire engine. (not that I can really judge the accuracy of this model, since it's from the movie that I never watch and try to avoid :laugh: ) In that case, if the model was intended to be a recreation, those are merely inaccuracies that the builder should attempt to correct, not artistic interpretations.

Of course, we all have our own definitions and goals as far as the preciseness of our preferred level of accuracy and how far we'll go to achieve it, but I'm just saying that I don't think Chibi builds count as artistic interpretation in recreation where Oky's statement is concerned.

#16 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 478
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 14 February 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Chibi builds aren't recreations. They're more of adaptions. They don't attempt to recreate the characters as shown in the movies. Rather, they adapt the characters to a different style. (unless, of course, they are modeled after someone else's Chibi characters, LEGO or otherwise, in which case they are recreations of that other Chibimodel and contain no artistic interpretation as far as adapting the character to Chibi style is concerned - rather, whoever built the reference model is then the person who took artistic interpretation in adapting the character, but he didn't recreate it)

Artistic interpretation is mostly found in smaller things, like the oversized engine glow in my Mini ARC-170, which is there only for the reason that it looks cool. :laugh: When you change something into a completely different style, such as when you build a Chibi version of a character, you are taking artistic interpretation in an adaption, not a recreation. In any case, I think it's clear that this MOC is meant to be a recreation. Oky's saying that when you build a recreation, you should try to be as accurate as possible. Of course, if this MOC wasn't intended to be a recreation, then that doesn't matter...

I do agree that a certain amount of artistic interpretation should be allowed, but I don't think that it should or can be used as justification for large inaccuracies, such as filling a large section of a model or shortening an entire engine. (not that I can really judge the accuracy of this model, since it's from the movie that I never watch and try to avoid :laugh: ) In that case, if the model was intended to be a recreation, those are merely inaccuracies that the builder should attempt to correct, not artistic interpretations.

Of course, we all have our own definitions and goals as far as the preciseness of our preferred level of accuracy and how far we'll go to achieve it, but I'm just saying that I don't think Chibi builds count as artistic interpretation in recreation where Oky's statement is concerned.

So, if I recreated a battle scene from Star Wars using all Chibi vehicles and Chibi characters without looking at anyone else’s Chibi models you wouldn’t call that artistic interpretation?

Don’t get me wrong. I think all the nitpicking that goes on around here makes for better building skills, but I think sometimes it gets a little overboard.  Not saying that’s the case here with Oky, but from what I’ve seen.

Can we also agree to disagree? :laugh:
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image   
flickr

#17 Oky

Oky

  • RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher


    Posts: 8710
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Brickdoctor is right, adaption is a better word to describe chibi and other stylized versions of something, but that's beside the point. I never said adaptions were bad, just that there is a difference between those and a recreation, which is what JackJonespaw is going for according to his earlier posts. So yeah, let's stop this off-topic argument and let's see what he comes up with next! :classic:

#18 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.


    Posts: 1275
    Joined: 07-June 10
    Member: 11296
    Country: England

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

At first I thought Dud Bolt must be a character you made up until I goggled him  :blush:  - it seems pretty hard to find good reference for the more obscure pod-racers. I think you did a great job in LDD so far and will be interested to see how you tweak this.

Just out of curiosity, seeing as Dud Bolts pod-racer was destroyed in the Boonta Eve race is the one shown in the video game even the same vehicle?

I also must ask that age-old-question; any plans to build this in bricks (I'm guessing at 1,938 bricks, probably no)?
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My Star Wars trades on swapfig.com

#19 Walter

Walter

  • Back, but still drowning!


    Posts: 715
    Joined: 17-February 11
    Member: 16053
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Although it's not entirely accurate, it's still a very nice model. Great job!  :sweet:
Posted Image

#20 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2091
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostPraiter Yed, on 14 February 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

At first I thought Dud Bolt must be a character you made up until I goggled him  :blush:  - it seems pretty hard to find good reference for the more obscure pod-racers. I think you did a great job in LDD so far and will be interested to see how you tweak this.

Just out of curiosity, seeing as Dud Bolts pod-racer was destroyed in the Boonta Eve race is the one shown in the video game even the same vehicle?

I also must ask that age-old-question; any plans to build this in bricks (I'm guessing at 1,938 bricks, probably no)?
It's possible to build, but colors would have to be substituted, i.e. dark red instead of the sand red.

#21 lego envy

lego envy

    Posts: 285
    Joined: 22-October 11
    Member: 21089
    Country: USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

How about you just do it your way that you had in mind, not because someone says do it different.. I like it and so do others. The pic you choose to do is a slight different angle than the one OKY posted. So, you did the best you could with what you had and what your thought was.. KEEP UP THE GOOD MOC's

Edited by lego envy, 15 February 2012 - 01:01 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1138
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

View PostDapper-D2, on 14 February 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

If it weren’t for artistic interpretation we would not have the beautiful Chibi builds by MOOD and JackJonesPaw with the oversized heads! So lets agree to disagree!   :wink:

Yes that is all well and good though I don't think this particular Podracer was intended for any particular style, some people may come across for being picky and this can be attributed to great MOCs that sets the bar high for everyone else. Lego is a modeling tool at the end of the day and we all use it to copy something of some kind and accuracy is what we use to measure the success of the build in most cases, and there is nothing wrong with that it makes us strive to improve and do a better build each time  :wink:
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users