Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Husbandry Challenge: Arkbri Irrigation

The agriculture of Kaliphlin is heavily dependent on irrigation. During the Civil War, many parts of this infrastructure was damaged. Since the cessation of hostilities, the City Council of Barqa has sponsored a rebuilding campaign of the irrigation canals in the Arkbri valley. Now finally again fresh water from the river can be diverted to the fields of the bread-basket of western Kaliphlin.

21356691742_6ae72c0e65_c.jpg

21341223496_d7d6b893e3_c.jpg

Lord Gideon is inspecting the results of the repair works and rejoices when seeing that the fields are lush once more.

20746383193_7a6f7fd4b6_c.jpg

21179609818_5630396b16_c.jpg

A farmer adjusts the water flow to his fields, while his son is minding the goats on the other side of the canal.

21367488755_30eb11c2af_c.jpg

I'd also like to claim the following UoP credits:

• Countryside scene [Anthropology]
  • Crop farming [Agriculture and Zoology]

Edited by Gideon

That's pretty cool. The tree is spiffy (the canopy in particular), and I really like the patched canal wall, the rows of crops, and the piece usage to show the water spilling out under the gate. Nice build! :classic:

Fantastic build all around! I really like the jagged edged base, and all the details, from the repaired wall, to the great looking crops and giant tree, it all looks amazing. Very nice work.

P.S. It looks like you have too many goats, but I'd be willing to help you out and take some off your hands!

Oh, waw! I love the tree, and the pasture an i really love the irrigation system, but most of all i love the crops! You did an awesome job on them, and on their slightly diagonal lines in the field!

Edited by TitusV

When I see yout builds I wish to bild sometimes also something from Kaliphlin. :-)

Good color use on the other side of the chanal! I also like the tree.

Edited by Petric_G

Beautiful work Gideon... Lovely moc. I really like the fleshed color part of the fence.. a great touch. And the way you but in profile the gardens. Well done mate.

One of the best builds that I've seen the past few months. Not the largest, not the most detailed, not the most unusual but just the right amount of everything. Really, really great.

Thanks guys! It feels so good to finally make a MOC again after a way too long break, glad you liked it!

You have a way of really making the desert come alive.

Wouldn't be possible without the water from the snow and glaciers of the mountains of Mitgardia feeding the Arkbri river :classic:

Edited by Gideon

Fantastic build - good sense of realism. Haven't seen that tree technique before - consider borrowed ;) Where are the olive plants from?

Happy to give +1 on both credits.

Very nice work here Gideon! The dam in particular is excellent and I like your attention to detail in including a plank to get across (though I would just jump :laugh: ). Personally I'm not a huge fan of the tree (it doesn't seem quite sturdy enough) though the canopy looks really good! And I see you already have quite a pileful of olive stalks... :drool::grin:

+1 for the UoP credits!

What a gorgeous build! I love all the small details, like the repair made to the dam, excellent build!

Magnificent build, Gideon. The way you stepped the base looks fabulous, as does the field itself :thumbup:

Good work with the canal too, it looks like you actually have the water sloping slightly? Glad you were able to get an entry in :classic:

Thanks for the UoP credits! My first UoP credits in quite a while I think.

Where are the olive plants from?

Bricklink :wink:

I think they are from the new Ninjago temple, but somehow a bunch of them ended up at some Discovery Center Pick-a-Brick in Germany as I've been told, which sounds plausible since some BL stores had hundreds of them.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the tree (it doesn't seem quite sturdy enough) though the canopy looks really good!

Same opinion as me :wink:

I built the canopy to look like one of the trees you see along the roads all over Italy, and then had to find some way to attach it to the ground...

Good work with the canal too, it looks like you actually have the water sloping slightly?

Nice to see that someone spotted it! Yes, the water is sloping about 1,5 plates in total. It is actually just interlocking 1x2 tiles and plates in four long rows which are only attached at one end and then placed on supports at varying distances.

Edited by Gideon

Simply beautiful build, Gideon! :wub: As soccerkid mentioned, the way you actually sloped the water is fantastic, and I love those landscaping colors :thumbup:

+1 for the UoP credits :classic:

I love those landscaping colors :thumbup:

+1 for the UoP credits :classic:

Isn't dark orange a perfect color for the ground in semi-arid parts of Kaliphlin? And I'm so happy we now got olive green stalks!

Thanks for the credits, feels good to be back in the University of Petraea again! :classic:

Great work my friend! Love the contrast between the different areas! The repair made in the dam looks so natural!! Well Done

Have to post My moc of de Gothia leaving barqa soon!

Great work my friend! Love the contrast between the different areas! The repair made in the dam looks so natural!! Well Done

Have to post My moc of de Gothia leaving barqa soon!

Thanks!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that MOC! I seem to recall that there is some interesting story to it as well...? :wink:

Vary nice build, Gideon!

The landscaping is perfect for Kaliphlin! Nice use for the new olive green stalks. The crops look great, but the canal with the sloping water and water gate is the best part of the build! The tree canopy looks great, but it seems that the trunk is a bit too tall. Excellent Kaliphlin build!