Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Leodasham Manor: Aquiring Champions

Hello there,

I wanted to try something different and use more basic bricks for this building. I was inspired by a picture of a Warhammer building I found and it had a colorscheme that appealed to me so I thought I would give it a go. I also wanted something that can be viewed from every angle, as a lot of builders (myself included) tend to only build the part that they wish to photograph, leaving a bare emptyness behind a nice detailed front. This was quite a refreshing change, no walls full of stacked round plates (apart from a view at the base :tongue:) and it was quite simple, apart from the roof. I want to try and get away from using roof bricks and now focus on building my own. Unfortunatly I misjudged where the hall on the side connects to the tower. The tower was supposed to join to the hall in the middle of the hall's roof, but ended up being 3 studs short. This made it difficult when making the roof of the hall as I had to build the roof in a way that it would slope down to the tower with only a space of 3 studs. However, the roof kind of just worked out perfectly, so im happy with it!

Leodasham Manor is situated in Cedrica, the middle realm. It is home to one of Historica's most famous Knights, Lord Lanval. His skill with a sword is famed through out Historica, so we Avalonian's could not resist recruiting him for our mighty army. Along with his young son, who is also a promising prospect, he will now train with the Dragon Flight and eventually join their ranks.

Avalonia is always scouting for the best warriors, best to snap them up before the other lands do!

6857613647_abe925d9a7_z.jpg

6857591973_43b7e6b6ef_z.jpg

6857610371_000b89d64f_z.jpg

6857560985_aae7e35842_z.jpg

6857558567_53e38424a4_z.jpg

6857507553_5659c51669_z.jpg

6857498075_7aab499d77_z.jpg

Thanks for viewing

DC

Even without the roof bricks or the 1 x 1 this is still very "you". I appreciate that you are trying something different. I think that is what I am going to do for the next few builds, try to find a few new parts and techniques to use.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

wow so many great builds over the last couple days! As usual you've done a great job. Your roof looks great! The verandas look good and every time I see your MOCs I think I need to make another a couple Bricklink orders! Your builds are so inspiring!

Love the manor and that it is with in Circardia! Lord Arlindus will insure that Lord Lanval's manor is well looked after and ready for for him when he returns.

Wow Derfel that is simply fantastic! :wub:

Not only is it refreshing to see you use new techniques and color schemes, but the direction you have chosen to take this in is even better! You have definitely captured the "Warhammer" feeling with this design, and especially so with the piled skulls and crosses and chimneys in the design! The roof looks great; a thoroughly weathered and yet still colorful surface.

Funny enough, I thought that Avalonia would be a perfect fit for the "Empire" faction of the games workshop world, and it turns out you did as well! :grin:

Well done, I hope to see more in this style!

-SOT

I just love the colour scheme on this beauty!! The dark red roof is lovely!

The building it self is great! The stair up to the house, the chimney and the windows... just perfect! And I love the fact that you give the sides on the base so much detail! Have to try that on my next moc after my inn..

And I have to agree with my friend Mikey here, every time I see a moc from you I always visit BL! :classic:

I love it. Amazing again. All of the brickwork is fantastic, and the color scheme is great. Simply amazing.

Of course, I second everything that has been said about this stunning MOC!

More originally, though, I'd like to ask:

Is this perhaps a glimpse into the standard/building style of Circadia? Or is this more a family coat of arms, and individual architectural preferences?

Of course, I second everything that has been said about this stunning MOC!

More originally, though, I'd like to ask:

Is this perhaps a glimpse into the standard/building style of Circadia? Or is this more a family coat of arms, and individual architectural preferences?

I won't speak for DC, but Circardia is a mixture of people from all over. Many have come their to start new so it isn't uncommon to find different styles of buildings, some that speak to their past and former homelands. That said, with the abundance of lumber around Circardia, the traditional timber and stone buildings are the most common.

Yes!

Total win, so much to love and gork at. :thumbup: And to think someone called you a one trick pony.:laugh:

Nailed the "Empire" look ....colour me jealous.:wub:

I think this style looks way better than the round plate style. I was wondering why did you change to fleshies? Are you planning on making more mocs in this style? I hope you are. :thumbup:

Great building! As has been pointed out, the "Warhammer-feel" is certainly there. It's great to see another MOC from you, top notch just like your others :sweet: .

Thanks for the comments guys!

I figured that as no one had really built anything in Circardia I thought this would be a good fit and I do plan to build a few other buildings in this colorscheme that will also be based in Circardia.

Warhammer has some excellent concept art that can translate really well into Lego, so Im sure I will get some inspiration from Warhammer for future mocs.

Im just playing about with using some different colorschemes at the moment, to see what works. Right now Im looking into Turquoise, which works really well but damned expensive!

As for the 'fleshies', its not a permanent switch, I just have never really used them before and I have quite a few so I thought why not. In some ways I think they can tone in and look a bit more realistic, however I will always prefer classic yellow. Might use fleshies in one more moc then switch back to yellow :classic:

Absolutely fantastic, you've done a great job with the roof, I didn't notice the hall roof but I think it looks nice and adds to the quaintness of the architecture, especially the chimney poking out. The details all around the house are great, the curved supports and that triangular window thing at the top are cool. Another great build :thumbup:

So, how did you do the roof actually? I've looked at the pictures several times, but I can't really figure it out. I'm guessing you're using hinges, but I'm not sure :sceptic: .

Thanks for the comments guys!

I figured that as no one had really built anything in Circardia I thought this would be a good fit and I do plan to build a few other buildings in this colorscheme that will also be based in Circardia.

Warhammer has some excellent concept art that can translate really well into Lego, so Im sure I will get some inspiration from Warhammer for future mocs.

me thinks me guldsleader has been drinking too much mead and wine!

I though I have been doing a pretty good job of building up my lands of Circardia!

Here is a list of my Circardia builds from the first page of the Avalonia Guild thread...

Tower Of Circardia

Duram The Beekeeper Of Circardia by MikeyB

Here piggy piggy!

Fishing The Streams Of Circardia

Roltic The Huntsman

Circardian Light Ballista

Row House Bakery & Apothecary

plus a couple(Casglu Ardd and the Captains Hall ) that haven't been added to the list yet.

Prehaps the drow are effecting your mind somehow?

Yes my bad, I ment Cedrica, the area where the High King lives. I wondered why you mentioned that your men would keep watch on his house, I thought 'what's he doing right out in the middle lands' :laugh: All changed now.

Yes my bad, I ment Cedrica, the area where the High King lives. I wondered why you mentioned that your men would keep watch on his house, I thought 'what's he doing right out in the middle lands' :laugh: All changed now.

no worries, I was a bit confused when you said Circardia in the middle lands at first too. of course the build is really nice so I'm sure my men wouldn't have any problems hanging around such a beautiful building!

Great build again! The colors work really well together. Also nice job on the chimney and the balcony. And the angle of the building is a great touch. :classic:

The first building of Cedrica but I think you nailed the Cedrica look.

Wauw, again such an inspiring build! I love it. It's always a great pleasure to see you experiment. I also like the triangles with the shield in the middle.

You say in your post that it's derived from Warhammer. As I am not really familier with it, could you post the picture? Or do you have website-adress with warhammer concept art?

I tried to look around with google images, but there is not a great deal to find there when it comes to warhammer buildings or warhammer building concept art.

Wauw, again such an inspiring build! I love it. It's always a great pleasure to see you experiment. I also like the triangles with the shield in the middle.

You say in your post that it's derived from Warhammer. As I am not really familier with it, could you post the picture? Or do you have website-adress with warhammer concept art?

I tried to look around with google images, but there is not a great deal to find there when it comes to warhammer buildings or warhammer building concept art.

I believe this is the building he based it off:

3624073874_0b41b71aeb.jpg

Warhammer Haunted Tower (Converted Fortified Manor House)

It's not an official building, it's a modified set :classic: .

It's amazing! *oh2*

Great detalization! I have never seen such types of buildings!

This is Sparta totally WIN! :thumbup:

I might be missing something really obvious, but what technique do you use to get the 1x1 & 1x2 tiles going up the corners of the buildings on both sides?

Probably a simple enough technique but its been a long weekend... :blush:

Edited by llb