CorneliusMurdock

Eurobricks' Super Hero Comic Cover Contest!

banner_superhero_month.jpg

Eurobricks’ Super Hero Comic Cover Contest

The contest:The first thing that draws any comic buyer to a comic book is the fantastic artwork on the cover. What we want you to do here is take an iconic (or obscure, your choice) comic cover and recreate it in LEGO form. Need an example? EB Member Moop made this back in April. The Rules

1. Recreate an actual Comic Book cover in LEGO! The cover must have been published by a comic book publisher such as DC or Marvel. No drawing your own just to make it out of LEGO. It must involve Super Heroes.
  2. Since the end result being judged is the picture, there are no actual size limits to what you can build except what you can photograph. It is highly recommended that you put a lot of effort into the actual photo. That is what will be judged.
  3. CLARIFIED RULE Because TLG has not made every possible Super Hero or Villain even within the licenses they have rights to, custom minifigures are allowed. As a rule of thumb, a casual observer should recognize that a custom figure is LEGO. If you need a more measurable rule, the custom minifigure should be comprised of at least 60% LEGO parts.
  4. No clone brands are allowed
  5. Custom decals, stickers, cut outs and official TLG stickers are allowed.
  6. Custom parts like those from BricksArms, BrickForge, and other after-market companies are allowed as long as their manufacturer is credited in the entry.
  7. There is no parts limit as long as it all fits within the scene.
  8. There is no limit to the amount of minifigures used.
  9. All official LEGO minifigures and parts are permitted.
  10. Entries are to be posted in individual topic by the participant, titled "SH-CCC: Insert Title of your entry", and tagged with "Comic Cover Contest".
  11. One entry per person. An entry must include a picture (no larger than 800x600) showing the comic cover recreation. You should also include a picture of the actual original cover (or a link to it) so that voters may compare it with your entry. You may include additional pictures of your creation from other angles but the first picture should be the actual entry. (No additional pictures should be larger than 800x600)
  12. Digital backgrounds are not allowed since the background would be part of the recreation. Use LEGO. A solid backdrop may show through.
  13. NEW RULE: Do not add anything digitally to the photo to make it resemble the cover more closely. You may tweak the lighting and such to make the image clearer but do not add special effects or the words to your image. The point of the contest is to recreate the cover with LEGO not Photoshop.
  14. No webcam or cellphone camera images can be used for the submitted entry. Show off your Comic Cover with decent photography and crop your picture to make it look like a true Comic Book Cover.
  15. No LDD entries.
  16. Upload your images onto a dedicated image hosting website such as Brickshelf, Flickr, etc. Do not use Eurobricks attachment to upload your images.
  17. The contest begins... NOW! The contest will end on November 30 at midnight GMT. Voting will begin immediately after that and will last 7 days.
  18. New entries only. Don't reuse any MOCs for this.
  19. Any registered Eurobricks member may participate, excluding myself. Voting however, will only be open to members who have registered before the posting of these rules.
  20. Any violation of the rules or the spirit of good sportsmanship will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of EB Staff.

The Voting!

At the end of the entry period, a posting topic will appear listing the eligible entries. Members who joined prior to the start of the contest will then be able to post how they wish to use their 3 points to vote for the entries they like best. A single entry may receive all 3 points, or the points may be divided between 2 or 3 entries, however the voter wishes. Detailed voting rules will be announced at the start of the voting. Members who joined after the start of the competition may choose to enter but may not vote.

The Prizes!

After 7 days, the votes will be calculated and the top vote recipients will be declared the winners.

1st place:

• 6863-1.jpg 6863
  • 6866-1.jpg6866
  • sh009.jpgsh040.jpgsh041.jpgsh036.jpgsh038.jpgsh010.jpgsh035.jpgsh011.jpg
  • 5000022-1.jpg

2nd place:

• 6862-2.jpg6862
  • 6865-1.jpg6865
  • sh009.jpgsh040.jpgsh041.jpgsh036.jpgsh038.jpgsh010.jpgsh035.jpgsh011.jpg
  • 5000022-1.jpg

3rd place:

• 6865-1.jpg6865

• tn_6858-1_jpg.jpg 6858

If you have any questions about the contest or the rules, you may ask them in this thread. Your entry should be it’s own topic as described in the rules above. That’s it. Good luck! You can ask any questions about the contest in this thread.

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

I'm not sure where else to post this, but is there a way to put all the topics pertaining to Superhero Month in a sub-folder within the Licensed Forum? I ask only because I noticed during Ninja month that the related topics completely took over the Action Forums, making it a bit more difficult to navigate through. Perhaps a way to keep it from becoming overbearing? Just a thought. :blush:

The rules state "The cover must have been published by a comic book publisher such as DC or Marvel" am I right in thinking that this means is can be ANY comic book publisher not just DC or Marvel?

Cheers

D

Neat contest! But how much picture editing are we allowed? Can we add the publisher's logo, titles, etc.? What about things like special effects? Also, can we apply decals digitally?

Thanks in advance.

Does it have to be on a base plate, because I might be doing this one: http://dc.wikia.com/...atman_Vol_1_629

Doesn't matter what it's on if it's not seen in the entry picture.

I'm not sure where else to post this, but is there a way to put all the topics pertaining to Superhero Month in a sub-folder within the Licensed Forum? I ask only because I noticed during Ninja month that the related topics completely took over the Action Forums, making it a bit more difficult to navigate through. Perhaps a way to keep it from becoming overbearing? Just a thought. :blush:

Part of the point of the month is to bring people into this forum. Why would we isolate it?

:blush: Remove

-Sci

Absolutely not. :snicker:

Are we allowed to edit the photo and fit it with the comic book cover template with the price and whatnot on it?

In order to be fair to those people that do not have mad photo-editing skills, no. Let's make it as the artist drew it before the publisher got ahold of it and plastered words all over it. I'll update the rules to reflect this later.

Can there be Marvel and DC cross overs? :look:

Any professionally published comic cover.

The rules state "The cover must have been published by a comic book publisher such as DC or Marvel" am I right in thinking that this means is can be ANY comic book publisher not just DC or Marvel?

Cheers

D

Correct. Obviously, there will be more of a challenge required for recreating less mainstream works simply because LEGO probably hasn't made minifigs of those characters. But if you have an independent favorite go ahead. EDIT: To be clear, though, it has to be a comic involving a Super Hero. Archie and Jughead do not count.

Neat contest! But how much picture editing are we allowed? Can we add the publisher's logo, titles, etc.? What about things like special effects? Also, can we apply decals digitally?

Thanks in advance.

Though most people would never be able to see your build in person, the challenge is to recreate a cover with LEGO, not Photoshop. Build it.

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

Part of the point of the month is to bring people into this forum. Why would we isolate it?

Ah, okay.

Well, I think it's certainly working then! (Thanks for the response.) :classic:

Very interesting contest. I'll start building of my entry this evening. But there are so many ideas in my mind. I can't make a choice :classic: .

So is the closing date is 30th November? Also can you use a coloured background, like a blue piece of paper?

Um, yes. Forgot that november only had 30 days.

And a blue piece of paper would indeed be a solid background, so yes.

Any professionally published comic cover.

Oh I misinterpreted the contest

For some reason I thought we were creating our own comics... :blush:

Thanks for the clarification!

When you say:

Custom decals, stickers, cut outs and official TLG stickers are allowed

Does that include custom (potentially printed) fabric for unique/not yet available capes, cloaks, sashes, etc.?

When you say:

Custom decals, stickers, cut outs and official TLG stickers are allowed

Does that include custom (potentially printed) fabric for unique/not yet available capes, cloaks, sashes, etc.?

Since capes are a large part of Super Hero history, I'll allow it.

As staff I can't be counted or anything like that, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling!

8162201562_ae309b2460.jpg

Top that!

EDIT: aww man, rule chages after all that work?!

Welp, I am staff so it ain't a proper entry, just me showing off the most Badass comics cover since ever.

So would it be fine if I painted parts and such?

Thanks.

As long as it is part of customizing a minifig. I'm allowing custom minifigs only because I don't want to limit people to covers that feature characters that TLG has provided. So don't go too crazy.

As staff I can't be counted or anything like that, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Actually, reading the rules, I'm the only one not able to participate. But you do violate a few other rules there, Pep. You're right, though, very badass.

Wait, so we can only customize minifigs? I thought the decals rule applied to any kind of decals. At least that's what it sounds like. If not, it would be good if that rule would be amended for clarification.

Wait, so we can only customize minifigs? I thought the decals rule applied to any kind of decals. At least that's what it sounds like. If not, it would be good if that rule would be amended for clarification.

What sort of things would you be decal-ing?

Limited use is fine, my point was that relying totally on decals and such to pull off an entry might not get you as many votes as you'd like. If you can do something without customizing the minifig's surroundings, I'd encourage you to try it.

What sort of things would you be decal-ing?

Things like a Batman logo on a Batmobile.

I'm actually thinking of a different superhero's logo. That was just an example. :wink: Thanks.