JDL1967

[HELP] Making Instructions of a Built Model

I am in the beginning state with the build of a model. I tought that it could be a MOD but i was very wrong and i now very fast that it is becomming an MOC. I am in the beginning state and have make a vieuw pictures of it. How do technic LDD designers ( if i can or may call you that ) make instructions? There are vieuw members here, ( i wont say any names ) where i everytime think, "how on earth do they to that". I would "when my model is completely build" , buildinginstructions from it. But what do i need to do? Witch member can i turn to? What will be the cost?

Dont hold back with reply's, all comments and answers are welcome.!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::grin:

Edited by JDL1967

For a start use the Ldraw library,this can be MLcad,Bricksmith(Mac) or LDcad.Then you can use Lpub or Lpub3D to make the instructions.

Blackbird and Myself both use MLcad.I would be more than happy to help you or teach you MLcad/Lpub.

Like everything practice make perfect. :classic:

Started just at the end of last year and already made some instructions fore couple of my models. I found it easy to use LDCad and LPub (or LPub3D) for instructions. My only suggestion would be to give some time to:

1. Read basic guides for LDCad and LPub. These will explain how it works.

2. Practise on some small official LEGO model and making instructions (maybe). That will give you understanding where required parts are stored, how your model should be built, etc.

3. Build your own model.

I will move this over to the LDD forum.

I had placed it in the technic and model forum because i tought that was the right forum. But the other forum is also good. But what i try to say is, that when your model is build how do you create the instructions? Do i need to make a lot of pictures during the build, or take it apart step by step and then make pictures of every step? And men like Jim, Zux and Epictechnic talk very easy about it, and i get that because you all have the experience with it. I am not very good with computers, and i have tryed to work with the design programs, but i find it very very hard. Also because i couldend found a version in Dutch.

I also am not so good in English, ( learnd it a bit from the tv, movies and books ) witch also makes a lot harder.

The idea witch Zux suggested to begin with a small orinal lego set is something to think about. And as for Jim, Jim if you can tell me in Dutch by a PM where i can download a Dutch version of a draw program, i really like to here that from you.

And i also must add that the model i am making is about the 4000 pieces marker.

I am ready to recieve all your comments, tips and advize...

Edited by JDL1967

For a start use the Ldraw library,this can be MLcad,Bricksmith(Mac) or LDcad.Then you can use Lpub or Lpub3D to make the instructions.

Blackbird and Myself both use MLcad.I would be more than happy to help you or teach you MLcad/Lpub.

Like everything practice make perfect. :classic:

All help is very welcome. I will waith untill i have a PM from Jim. Because he is Dutch also, he maybe can give me the webadress to download a Dutch version of the program. If i have that i will try it. If i dont work for me, then i have to find someone who can make the instructions for me..

Jim if you can tell me in Dutch by a PM where i can download a Dutch version of a draw program, i really like to here that from you.

I don't think there's a Dutch program available.

If I were you, I would accept Alasdair's offer to help you out. Having English software is probably more convenient, since Alasdair also uses English to explain the terms.

I had placed it in the technic and model forum because i tought that was the right forum. But the other forum is also good. But what i try to say is, that when your model is build how do you create the instructions? Do i need to make a lot of pictures during the build, or take it apart step by step and then make pictures of every step?

The easiest way to make instructions is to split them into small sub-assemblies (this is a feature in MLCad & LDCad) and then build the finished model out of those. Sometimes it's unavoidable to add parts to the full model.

I usually disassemble my model into sub-assemblies. I then break each sub-assembly into several smaller assemblies which gives a rough idea of parts used for each of the steps. Try to insert steps into the build as you add pieces. The smaller assemblies are easy to put back together into a sub-assembly, and the sub-assemblies usually only fit in one place, so they're easy to match. You can make quite complex models with this method.

I would suggest building something small with a couple of sub-assemblies and then making the instructions on the computer. Don't start with anything too complex. Once your model is built digitally, check your stepping and adjust view rotations if required, so you can see under the model if that's where the piece is being installed. I do this in MLCad because LDCad doesn't have view rotations (officially/yet).

You'll be switching between MLCad and LPub quite often at this stage to correct errors in stepping, rotations and part quantities. Once you're happy with the instructions, you export them to PDF through LPub.

That's about it for the workflow. There are a few LPub settings you'll have to adjust (resolution, paper size etc) and you will need to learn some simple stepping/view rotating syntax, but that's a topic for a different post.

The easiest way to make instructions is to split them into small sub-assemblies (this is a feature in MLCad & LDCad) and then build the finished model out of those. Sometimes it's unavoidable to add parts to the full model.

I usually disassemble my model into sub-assemblies. I then break each sub-assembly into several smaller assemblies which gives a rough idea of parts used for each of the steps. Try to insert steps into the build as you add pieces. The smaller assemblies are easy to put back together into a sub-assembly, and the sub-assemblies usually only fit in one place, so they're easy to match. You can make quite complex models with this method.

I would suggest building something small with a couple of sub-assemblies and then making the instructions on the computer. Don't start with anything too complex. Once your model is built digitally, check your stepping and adjust view rotations if required, so you can see under the model if that's where the piece is being installed. I do this in MLCad because LDCad doesn't have view rotations (officially/yet).

You'll be switching between MLCad and LPub quite often at this stage to correct errors in stepping, rotations and part quantities. Once you're happy with the instructions, you export them to PDF through LPub.

That's about it for the workflow. There are a few LPub settings you'll have to adjust (resolution, paper size etc) and you will need to learn some simple stepping/view rotating syntax, but that's a topic for a different post.

You make it seems easy, and if you now how it works i think it will be. But i have zero experience with it. I have tryed to work wtih Ldraw and MLcad, but thats not really my thing. I have send a PM to Alasdair allready, so for now i waight on his reply on it.. tnx for your explenation.

I wasn't very good at this in the beginning, and I'm now barely into the average stage. It's just practice, practice, practice - there is no substitute for experience.

I started with MLCad and have moved on to LDCad. The autosnap feature is really worth the change. The keys are incredibly well laid out - F(ront), S(ide), T(op), 1, 2, 3 are all accessible with one hand and the multiple part bins make part selection very quick.

MLCad still has its applications but if you're not used to a drafting program, it's a bit more difficult to use. In any case, expect a learning curve.

I have installed both MLCad and LDCad. Since I never used MLCad before I find it a bit too hard for novice people (maybe give it a try for some features in future). However LDCad is kind of friendly. These three guides were totally enough for me to start building whatever I wanted:

User interface introduction

Basic stuff

Advanced stuff

Following these guides exactly will allow you understanding how LDCad works.

I see you mentioned pictures. Since you are building your own model you know how it was build. I would just sit and think how can this be built first, like general steps moving forward. But then again, this is easy when you know how stuff works. Thus why I suggested building some smaller official set first. As I made a mistake learned that you can build the whole MOC in one "step" and this will not allow you to produce instructions. You need to make steps on your own. And this is where giving a try with official set helped me a lot.

You make it seems easy, and if you now how it works i think it will be. But i have zero experience with it. I have tryed to work wtih Ldraw and MLcad, but thats not really my thing. .

Making instructions is certainly not easy; it's tedious, takes a big effort (a bigger Technic model can take over a month) and the programs are far from flawless with a steep learning curve. Building things in MLCad is not my thing either; like many others I'd rather design and build things physically. But did that stop me from working with those programs? Nope, because I want to learn and grow in my skills and knowledge. Sure it isn't easy, sometimes frustrating and often trial and error, but that's part of learning. If you want to become good at something you need to practice and not give up when things get tough, that's just how it is. We all started with zero experience. I think the bigger question you need to answer for yourself is if you want to put in the effort to get yourself familiar with those programs. Here's a link to a Dutch website that covers some of the basics to help you on your way: http://www.binarybricks.nl/

Edited by NKubate

I have installed both MLCad and LDCad. Since I never used MLCad before I find it a bit too hard for novice people (maybe give it a try for some features in future). However LDCad is kind of friendly. These three guides were totally enough for me to start building whatever I wanted:

User interface introduction

Basic stuff

Advanced stuff

Following these guides exactly will allow you understanding how LDCad works.

I see you mentioned pictures. Since you are building your own model you know how it was build. I would just sit and think how can this be built first, like general steps moving forward. But then again, this is easy when you know how stuff works. Thus why I suggested building some smaller official set first. As I made a mistake learned that you can build the whole MOC in one "step" and this will not allow you to produce instructions. You need to make steps on your own. And this is where giving a try with official set helped me a lot.

I will check it out this weekend tnx.!!

Making instructions is certainly not easy; it's tedious, takes a big effort (a bigger Technic model can take over a month) and the programs are far from flawless with a steep learning curve. Building things in MLCad is not my thing either; like many others I'd rather design and build things physically. But did that stop me from working with those programs? Nope, because I want to learn and grow in my skills and knowledge. Sure it isn't easy, sometimes frustrating and often trial and error, but that's part of learning. If you want to become good at something you need to practice and not give up when things get tough, that's just how it is. We all started with zero experience. I think the bigger question you need to answer for yourself is if you want to put in the effort to get yourself familiar with those programs. Here's a link to a Dutch website that covers some of the basics to help you on your way: http://www.binarybricks.nl/

Like i told zux, i will check it out this weekend. Then i will see if i will go further with it. I more like design when i build. And i can allways look if there us someone will and can make the instructions. As for now, i keep on building. I hope to present my model soon here on EB. Then i can get the comments, and will no if it is a build that will be appricieted inough to make instructions of it. Tnx for your comment and i will get in to it this weekend for sure.