Sign in to follow this  
Pulp Detective

New Action Themes for 2014?

Yeah, I mainly see Chima, Ninjago's return, and The Lego Movie as action themes, though all three should promise some amazing offerings, if the one TLM set image is an indication. Though should we count it as an action theme or a license?

At the moment, The Lego Movie is being considered a Special Theme, and has a thread dedicated to it, and another for its CMF series in the Special Themes Forum.

Well I'm still waiting for the pirates theme to return.

It may be some time before that happens. If Disney keeps cranking out POTC films, LEGO will make sets. And with all the other licenses and original themes, there isn't much space to dedicate to Pirates. Could be another 5 years or more till we see it return. But if and when it does, I bet it will be amazing.

Also, I think the LEGO Movie is gonna have a bit of every classic LEGO theme. With 17 sets, we'll get a bit of town, action, space, western, castle, pirates, and unique movie-specific stuff. I'm very excited for those sets.

Well I'm still waiting for the pirates theme to return.

It sadly may be a long wait. The sad truth of licensed sets is that a theme with a direct movie tie in will typically do orders of magnitude more business than a similar unlicensed theme. Even if the sets only seem out for a short time, or a larger than normal amount may be sold on sale. The business surge from around the movie is so great that sometimes it is more worthwhile to hold a license as active for a few years, and then wait for the next movie before releasing sets, then it is to shelve the license and do a full unlicensed theme. So in the case of Pirates, they may be sitting on the PotC theme until the next film.

This is also why so many of the newer action themes seem to have media tie ins.

Edited by Faefrost

Well 17 sets does sound exciting but I'd prefer themes based on one subject not in many,like pirates or the old west and yes the Lone Ranger sets are cool but I would love a theme that will let you built a full western town and I prefer the classic yellow colored minifigures(I hope this doesnt sounds racist :grin: ).Btw I'm still hoping for a full steampunk theme,I mean steampunk is famous right??

Edited by LOTR343

Steampunk is also Sci-fi so it goes elsewhere. Personally I am hoping for a new theme soon, maybe racing again.

It may be an action figure theme, But it still has action. Bring back BIONICLE.

Staaaph that! :sadnew: No one will bring it back. And it's good that it ended. It was tottaly exploited.

Will Galaxy Squad be continued?

Staaaph that! :sadnew: No one will bring it back. And it's good that it ended. It was tottaly exploited.

Will Galaxy Squad be continued?

I was joking. I Love HF.

I just watched King Kong (2005). LEGO should do a new jungle theme, like the original Johnny Thunder stuff. Give us prehistoric creatures and what not, but have a giant Gorilla. I know its kinda like ripping off a classic story, but that way LEGO wouldn't have to get licenses. They kinda did it with the Dino 2012 theme. Ripped off Jurassic Park in a big way.

To LEGO I think the big action themes will be Chima, NinjaGo, The LEGO Movie has 17 sets and mini figures. Chima or NinjaGo for summertime, maybe another year of Galaxy Squad and I see at least one new theme, maybe in the fall. A one off like Monster Fighters. We have had rock monsters, water, and kind of historial theme recently, not sure what they can bring back.

Johnny Thunder: Adventurers in the Retirement Home

Seriously though I'd love to see JT again! He was my childhood hero.

It may be an action figure theme, But it still has action. Bring back BIONICLE.

As a dedicated Bionicle fan I honestly think that'd be a bad idea... anyway this is the 2014 thread, and it's not coming back next year... plus it isn't even considered an action theme. XD

Johnny Thunder: Adventurers in the Retirement Home

Yes.

It would be great to have another theme besides the big ones... personally wouldn't mind a space pirate theme

MF was the best thing going on last year. Whatever else happens, I'll be looking forward to a follow-up to that. It'll be tough to do.

I don't think there will be. The new action theme will be based on the LEGO movie. Alien Conquest series 2 got canceled because of sales and space in warehouses. LEGO has so much crap coming out next year I just don't see when things will get released. The LEGO Movie will get sets for the movie and the DVD release, that's winter and then late summer or fall of next year. Chima will probably get both a winter and a summer waves, then NinjaGo which wasn't really planned I could see bumping whatever might have been planned.

Only time will tell. I'm looking forward to an Agents like theme, but that might be too close to what the movie sets will be. We got an Eygpt theme, rock, aqua sets and Agents is the only one left. :)