Hello everyone!

The neoclassical Custom House in Dublin was built in 1791, burnt down in 1921 before its restoration to what it is today, a grand but neglected building. It was quite unpopular with many at the time of its completion but I’m hoping minifigures are less critical. I'm interested in hearing what you all think.

Dublin Custom House by David D, on Flickr

28248753866_913a5d019a_z.jpg

28204653351_79789284b8_b.jpg

28248754016_abd68dbbbe_b.jpg

Edited by Serengeti

Huh, that is really large! I also like the entrance most. The dome looks a bit blocky, however I have no idea how that could be improved easily.

Is it a facade in the wings or did you build it all sides? Not saying you should as the brick count must be high already, just curious.

Well done overall. Do you have some higher resolution pictures of the middle area?

Very impressive! Love the main entrance pillars.

Wow, this is really gigantic! Very impressive build. Looks like a museum piece! :classic: :thumbup:

It really looks great, in many ways.. but it seems to me it is only a facade.. is there an interior or a backside?

Thank you for the comments and questions everyone!

As some have guessed, although there is a roof, there is no back, namely for the following reasons: 1. it gobbled up all of my LBG bricks, 2. the back and sides of the actual Custom House is quite plain. It is also very large as this aerial photo shows and you could expect to quadruple your brick requirement for little aesthetic gain if you were to replicate all sides.

The moc itself is built in sections and my plan is that it will form the basis of 3 separate buildings in a city layout. For these, interiors will likely be made but there's no interior at the moment - sorry no toilets everyone, please keep it in :cry_sad:

I was pleased enough with the dome but agree that it could look less blockly. I wanted to use curved parts such as 61678 and length variants but if I recall correctly at the time of building these were not available or not available in the quantity required in sand green, which I had chosen to represent the corroded copper colour.

I'll see if I can dig out a closer shot of the main entrance.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Serengeti

Personally, I would try to improve on the curves of the dome. Everything else looks great already!

It's about time you posted this here. As I've said before, excellent job. The size alone is impressive, but details and parts usage, especially the chains, really sets this MOC apart from the rest. Given the time constraints, I think the dome looks really nice, but it could look much better with a remake.

It also looks like Legoland's road construction crews got a little lazy :grin:

The amount of times I've run past the back of this place to get to Busáras and never realised it was such a nice building!!

Amazing build!! I love the arched walkway(?) running along the front and the columns are spot on!

The amount of times I've run past the back of this place to get to Busáras and never realised it was such a nice building!!

Thanks Eanair. It's great to get this such words from a local.

Your Customs House looks spectacular and it's great to see you building again! I really like the details on the façade, especially the statuary in the center pediment and the stonework above the windows. It will be a fitting addition to your city. Thanks for sharing with us.