SirDoDDo

Problem in attaching treads in LDD

So, i'm attempting to make a Mark V WWI tank MOC on LDD, and it's not even that bad. The problem is: i can't attach the treads/caterpillars to the technic wheels. I tried with every type of tread and with every type of technic wheel, but it just doesnt allow me to place them... Any help?

Here's a small video on how I did it, hope it helps:

How does he move the whole thing up and down? I tried with the black 5M technic axle but it doesnt work :(

I used an axle and a bush. Clicl on a thread, hold ctrl and click bush. Now that you move the bush up and down the axle, the thread moves along side it. This is called scaffolding and allows you to place pieces where there are no connections.

I used an axle and a bush. Clicl on a thread, hold ctrl and click bush. Now that you move the bush up and down the axle, the thread moves along side it. This is called scaffolding and allows you to place pieces where there are no connections.

it doesnt work :( so, i click with normal selection on the part, then i hold ctrl and while holding control i move the bush up and down?

Click one parts, hold ctrl, click other parts and now move them both. Just keep trying!

when i click the second part it unselects the first one... D:

Thats why you have to hold ctrl.

i'm holding it...

Edit: it works now, not with the thread (?)

Edit 2: i composed my first tread yay. Just one thing: is it normal that, zooming, the wheels are not perfectly attached to the tread?

Edited by SirDoDDo

The wheels don’t attach, they are wrapped around by the treads. :grin:

And it can be difficult and time consuming to get the treads to attach together in a loop in the end, and to do it with the same number of treads you could do it with in real life or on what LEGO instructions say. :angry:

So, when you eventually manage it: save it and remember where you put it for reuse :tongue:

As for your selection problem (that you obviously managed to overcome), a simple solution is to use the second selection tool (the arrow with the plus sign). It avoids the need to hold the CTRL key down.

Feel free to try the other selection tools, they can be very useful.

The wheels don’t attach, they are wrapped around by the treads. :grin:

And it can be difficult and time consuming to get the treads to attach together in a loop in the end, and to do it with the same number of treads you could do it with in real life or on what LEGO instructions say. :angry:

So, when you eventually manage it: save it and remember where you put it for reuse :tongue:

As for your selection problem (that you obviously managed to overcome), a simple solution is to use the second selection tool (the arrow with the plus sign). It avoids the need to hold the CTRL key down.

Feel free to try the other selection tools, they can be very useful.

okay, so the wheels aren't attached xD. Anyway, for me it wasn't that hard to complete the loop. But i tried with a normal tread. today i'll try with the Mark V tank, and its treads have a strange shape so... hope it works lol. Thank you :)

SirDoDDo, welcome to Eurobricks.

I helped you make a clearer title for your topic. There are several CAD-tools being discussed here, so I added "LDD" and clarified the problem description.

You could use Aanchir's Sprocket Wheel Template to make your curved treads in LDD -- type in "Sprocket Wheel Template" in this forum's Search window to find it.

You could use Aanchir's Sprocket Wheel Template to make your curved treads in LDD -- type in "Sprocket Wheel Template" in this forum's Search window to find it.

Why not linked it? Here's the link. :wink: But it's for bigger track element.