Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Wargaming at Brickworld

How many of you played in the Mobile Frame Zero (Mech combat) game at Brickworld? What was your impression of the game in terms of

-How long it took

-How much fun it was

-How many folks participated

A year or so ago, a few of us NILTC'ers played the Medieval Fantasy Skirmish Game "Song of Blades and Heroes" with LEGO. It seemed to be well received and it plays very fast (40-60 minutes per game). I've run it with wargaming minis at Little Wars, but I'm trying to gauge whether it might be worthwhile to run the game with LEGO at Brickworld 2012 and whether there would be enough interest.

Thoughts?

How many of you played in the Mobile Frame Zero (Mech combat) game at Brickworld? What was your impression of the game in terms of

-How long it took

-How much fun it was

A year or so ago, a few of us NILTC'ers played the Medieval Fantasy Skirmish Game "Song of Blades and Heroes" with LEGO. It seemed to be well received and it plays very fast (40-60 minutes per game). I've run it with wargaming minis at Little Wars, but I'm trying to gauge whether it might be worthwhile to run the game with LEGO at Brickworld 2012 and whether there would be enough interest.

Thoughts?

I didn't play, so I can't offer any input. You can start a poll if you like.

-How long it took

-How much fun it was

Thoughts?

I ran the game along with Steve.

I'm not sure why I didn't think to announce the game here but I probably should have.

We had four people playing in total and the game took about two hours.

The game is easy to pick up but I think you need to play through at least once to really grasp the rules which is not necessarily a great thing for Brickworld. So far, I'm planning on MF0 again next year. It should be a better game as people get more familiar with the rules.

The two games that I ran, Mobile Frame 0 and Pirate Wars, both went very well and I think there is likely enough interest for additional games. I'd certainly be wiling to play as would several others I know.

The game was quick and as getdamonkey noted, it was a bit of a learning experience. From my experience running games at conventions, this is the way it always goes and it is just something that needs to be accounted for. If you can, try to pair experienced players with novices to speed things along.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to hear directly from those involved. If I can ask a couple more questions...

1) What was done to promote the games?

2) What kind of feedback did you get from the participants.

I didn't actually get to play... Though I did want to try it. Even though I had heard about it ahead of time (Mobile Frame 0) I got ddistracted by other activities usually kept me occupied...

And the other Brickwars game looked pretty fun to play on peoples display :wub:

While not a wargame - I did get to try LDM's settlers - and that was pretty cool playing on a Lego board.