Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

3378119894_af21fdd962_o.gif

:jollyroger: General MOC-Discussion :jollyroger:

Ahoy!

Ever felt like there's not enough general talk going on here about what matters most in these waters - MOCs?

Ever got frustrated over a certain issue with a WIP that you could need help with?

Ever thought about posting a WIP but didn't think it would deserve its own thread?

Ever wanted to announce a huge, mind boggling, or simply your next project and ask your fellow EB members what they think about that idea?

Or have you ever just felt the urge to tease everyone with a blurred picture of your creation or some facts about it before releasing it for good?

Well, hesitate no further, this is the place for you! Use this thread as a vessel for all the otherwise unmentioned MOC related talk, use it to discuss sail sizes and capstan designs, ask for ideas, help others with their MOC issues and tease your fellow mateys... with pics of your creations, of course :pir-wink:

KB, I think this is a great idea that could help the transfer of ideas without cluttering up the forum with a boatload of chit-chat topics. I'll start the ball rolling.

I'm currently working on a project that is neither huge nor mind-boggling (in my opinion, anyway) but is different due to its technically- and historically-correct nature. Through it all I've wondered how much interest exists within this forum (it will be an EB-exclusive project) for Pirates-theme material that is produced and presented primarily as educational material - a tutorial of sorts. Sure, other such material exists, like Horry's cannon tutorial and CGH/CRH's frigate-building tutorial, but those are both more creative in nature and not as much educational. Utimately the level of interest won't influence my project one way or the other, but I'm still curious as to how much people want to learn vs how much they want to see built - because this is a Lego forum first and foremost. I know I'm being vague, because I want to keep the subject a secret, but I can say that it's related to all the classic Pirates factions and components even though it isn't linked strictly to ships and shipping. Basically I'll be using Lego to illustrate a rather lengthy article that I've been researching and writing for some time now. Thoughts? Sound interesting? Boring? Dry as sawdust? Again, I'm going through with it regardless of input, but I'm just curious.

Ever felt like there's not enough general talk going on here about what matters most in these waters - MOCs?

Yes

Ever got frustrated over a certain issue with a WIP that you could need help with?

Well only if you count wanting a tonne more bricks and pieces... (so far)

Ever thought about posting a WIP but didn't think it would deserve its own thread?

Oooo I have been thinking about making a tiny part of my next MOC for a while... which I'll make post here later :-)

Or have you ever just felt the urge to tease everyone with a blurred picture of your creation or some facts about it before releasing it for good?

That could be a new use for all those blurry shots I manage to take, now I can pretend they are totally intentional!

Well, hesitate no further, this is the place for you! Use this thread as a vessel for all the otherwise unmentioned MOC related talk, use it to discuss sail sizes and capstan designs, ask for ideas, help others with their MOC issues and tease your fellow mateys... with pics of your creations, of course :pir-wink:

Nice one, great idea for a thread! And once I get started on my next project I will get some definitely get WIP shots up :-) and look forward to everyone else's pics.

Through it all I've wondered how much interest exists within this forum (it will be an EB-exclusive project) for Pirates-theme material that is produced and presented primarily as educational material - a tutorial of sorts.

I am interested, I find the internet very difficult to sift through for historical information relating to the pirates theme and that period of history in general... so if its all illustrated in lego or something fun I would definitely be able to get on board!!

EDITED: So my next project will take some time as I amass the bricks I need and try and get a handle on the dimensions, scale and overall look I want to achieve...

It will be a redcoat fort and trading place (or something) and I want it to have the feel of the classic pirate forts, so something like the Imperial trading post or Eldorado Fortress but with a more sophisticated design, I don't know like the city modulars... I am scouring this site for ideas and will probably pilfer many ideas from previous members' MOCs... thanks in advance for that!

But seeing as I am a bit brick-light these days and have yet to master LDD (I must be the only person who given a full set of all the bricks in every colour manages to make the designs worse not better than with a limited collection) I have not made a start yet.. instead I came up with a couple of characters that will populate my fort. I thought i would have some children in this fort as well as other civilians wandering around... these two particular children are budding redcoats, playing dress up, they have come across a soldier taking a kip, they've stolen parts of his arsenal and are happily recreating their own fort in sand...

21276910531_47bc2d3b1b_z.jpgCheekyRedcoatKids, on Flickr

PS this was in part inspired by MiloNelsiano's PtV entry Bartholemew Robbins

Edited by BrickOn

KB - in a private conversation I stated that I hoped to be finished by late summer. Well, that time is here and I have a long way to go, so... time will tell.

BrickOn - I hear you loud and clear regarding internet research. My project has unearthed numerous conflicting details, and most sources offer a very general, vague description of my subject that doesn't even begin to tell the story. That's part of the reason for why it's taking me so long. To my knowledge it hasn't been done before and I want it done right no matter how long it takes.

Good luck on your project. It certainly sounds interesting.

Edited by Captain Dee

That could be a new use for all those blurry shots I manage to take, now I can pretend they are totally intentional!

Haha, make good use of your skills! As a teaser, the blurrier the better :pir-grin:

Nice one, great idea for a thread! And once I get started on my next project I will get some definitely get WIP shots up :-) and look forward to everyone else's pics.

It will be a redcoat fort and trading place (or something) and I want it to have the feel of the classic pirate forts, so something like the Imperial trading post or Eldorado Fortress but with a more sophisticated design.

Sounds more than great! But since it's gonna be something bigger, feel free to WIP it big and post it in its own WIP thread. Leave this for all the small stuff that we would otherwise not see :pir-wink:

I came up with a couple of characters that will populate my fort. I thought i would have some children in this fort as well as other civilians wandering around... these two particular children are budding redcoats, playing dress up, they have come across a soldier taking a kip, they've stolen parts of his arsenal and are happily recreating their own fort in sand...

This is a great little scene! Love how you made the castle resemble the iconic baseplates :pir-wub:

KB - in a private conversation I stated that I hoped to be finished by late summer. Well, that time is here and I have a long way to go, so... time will tell.

BrickOn - I hear you loud and clear regarding internet research. My project has unearthed numerous conflicting details, and most sources offer a very general, vague description of my subject that doesn't even begin to tell the story. That's part of the reason for why it's taking me so long. To my knowledge it hasn't been done before and I want it done right no matter how long it takes.

Sounds quite teasing! Anything more you can give us now? Good luck with finishing!

3378119894_af21fdd962_o.gif

:jollyroger: General MOC-Discussion :jollyroger:

Ahoy!

Ever wanted to announce a huge, mind boggling, or simply your next project and ask your fellow EB members what they think about that idea?

And that is exactly all the things I was hoping to get out of joining a forum.

May the studs be ever in your favor

And that is exactly all the things I was hoping to get out of joining a forum.

Splendid! May the studs be ever in your favor.

It will be a redcoat fort and trading place (or something) and I want it to have the feel of the classic pirate forts, so something like the Imperial trading post or Eldorado Fortress but with a more sophisticated design, I don't know like the city modulars... I am scouring this site for ideas and will probably pilfer many ideas from previous members' MOCs... thanks in advance for that!

I've recently started to create a modular pirate town utilizing the buildings from Medieval Market Village and using them as a standard size. I just finished converting a Winter Village Bakery into a pirate themed building adding a back wall. I hope to post images soon. Next, I was going to convert the Apple Tree House.

When I place these buildings in a layout, I hope to utilize a layout without right angles.

KB - hmm, I'm not sure how much to give away... Do you like waterwheels?

Phred - your town sounds great. Will it include any, uh, cannons? Can't wait to see it!

Edited by Captain Dee

Great idea for a thread! pir_laugh2.gif Here's my latest project teaser: Plaid Beard has found a wealthy dupe to fund his post-pirating career as a tavern keeper. The Tumble-Home Tavern, the most crooked, broken-down tavern in the Caribbean, soon will be open for business....

plaid_beard_and_friend.jpg

Phred - your town sounds great. Will it include any, uh, cannons? Can't wait to see it!

Yes, I hope to include a small fort similar in layout of Brimstone Hill Fortress. Instead of being on a hill, I was going to have it along the shore.

@Plaid Beard: Whence comes the torso on the guy with the tan hat? (The hair+hat is custom modified, right? Looks good). I have a problem finding good civilians. Some of the hobbit torsos are really good.

@Plaid Beard: Whence comes the torso on the guy with the tan hat? (The hair+hat is custom modified, right? Looks good). I have a problem finding good civilians. Some of the hobbit torsos are really good.

Yes, I did modify the wig. The whole body of that guy (aside from the head) came from an old Professor Gilderoy Flockhart minifigure I got from eBay. And I also use a lot of the LOTR and Hobbit torsos - they're great for civilians!

All your projects sound very interesting, and I look forward to seeing more. Phred, I love your idea of using the MMV buildings as a standard size building. I think I'll try the same at some point!

PS this was in part inspired by MiloNelsiano's PtV entry Bartholemew Robbins

Wow, I'm glad it was inspiring! That mini-build looks great!

The baker spies a new neighbor:

IMG_20150919_191955.jpg

The exterior is nearly done, but there's no interior.

Phredit:

Need a BL order or a LUG trade to finish the exterior for the house. :look:

In the mean time, I've started on a five cannon fort:

IMG_20150923_215416.jpg

In the mean time, I've started on a five cannon fort:

Oooo I like the fort, you seem to be going for another non-right-angled build again?

I decided to post an WIP on my large PTV entry, all blurry (because it looks way cooler that way and I am playing with photoshop)

21648591679_466f7b5d78_z.jpgPTVBlurryIslandWIP, on Flickr

Plus a bonus boat that my other half made for the Zombie Captain... I had to dismantle it for the parts, but I'd like to make a bigger version with some new pieces I have recently acquired...

21648588139_559ec00ced.jpgMyLittleZombieShip , on Flickr

Edited by BrickOn

Ooh! I didn't know this thread existed! Very cool! I've been looking (mostly on google) for source pictures of pirate-Era carribean towns (port towns, fishing towns, etc...) but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know of any useful references in regards to this?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Oooo I like the fort, you seem to be going for another non-right-angled build again?

Yes, I am. :grin:

I used 2991.jpg for the 45 degree angles, so the build is able to stay solid.

IMG_20150930_230906.jpg IMG_20150930_231027.jpg

I decided to post an WIP on my large PTV entry, all blurry (because it looks way cooler that way and I am playing with photoshop)

I hope your final entry pics will be clearer. :pir-laugh:

Does anyone know of any useful references in regards to this?

Sorry, I do not. I have been using the Land-Based MOC Index and Guilds of Historica buildings for methods of building designs.

Here are some examples from our Land-Based MOC Index:

th_dscn5719.jpg th_ptv01-1.jpg th_1.jpg th_ptv_01.jpg

th_SackingQueenstown2.jpg th_1.jpg th_3069413294_ee58102b0e_o.jpg th_1-125.jpg

th_ptvrevised1.jpg th_3071513276_6251c97ce3.jpg th_dsc01334.jpg th_piratefest03a.jpg

th_tortuga1.jpg

Ooh! I didn't know this thread existed! Very cool! I've been looking (mostly on google) for source pictures of pirate-Era carribean towns (port towns, fishing towns, etc...) but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know of any useful references in regards to this?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I was going to suggest watching Black Sails, as a form of passive research...

I was going to suggest watching Black Sails, as a form of passive research...

Also Horatio Hornblower series by C. S. Forester

BrickOn, your entry looks intriguing despite being so blurry and the boat design is pretty good. Mr. Phredit, your buildings are coming along nicely; I especially like the fort. Keep it up.

Since i didn't know where to post this mod i made to 70413, i am posting it here. Merely the sails have changed since the original were sub par only due to the fact that they weren't double-side printed (especially the front triangle sail that looked meh). So here they are: My custom fabric sails (With or without the contour line. I personally prefer them without it)

21293912693_6ecf247f6a_c.jpg70413 custom sails by Spy Tha, on Flickr

Edited by blackdeathgr

Since i didn't know where to post this mod i made to 70413, i am posting it here. Merely the sails have changed since the original were sub par only due to the fact that they weren't double-side printed (especially the front triangle sail that looked meh). So here they are: My custom fabric sails (With or without the contour line. I personally prefer them without it)

I like the change of sails, I think I prefer the one with the contour line, but its almost 50/50... have you treated them to stop the fraying?

I would be tempted to try something like this myself, but since I have ships with no sails at all I think I would start there before I attack the sub par ones :-) :-)

I haven't treated them yet but i will do so in due time. Nail polisher must do the trick i guess and is readily available unless my wife starts chasing me :-p next step would be to visit the neighbour's tailor to make me some lines on the sails imitating lesser ropes.