Ayrlego

[COR - Ch3A] Tholeau Falls

Just made the original deadline! My first attempt at a waterfall, not sure I'm totally happy with the result, I have some ideas for next time... Hopefully you'll enjoy a somewhat typical Corlander take on the Fountain of Youth myth!

Establishing a crown settlement is not an easy task. Major Dirk Allcock had never thought it would be otherwise, even so the day to day struggle of supervising the fledgling settlement of Mooreton Bay was taking its toll upon him. Finally he had the opportunity to take a couple of days off. Leaving the colony under the care of Lieutenant Stewart of the Royal Marines, He has set off accompanied by his native friend and companion Xochitl.

Talk has swept through the settlement recently of the craze to locate the mythical fountain of youth. Stories of the adventures of the Olean priest Father Tholeau have encouraged many to set off in search of what Dirk is convinced is a misguided waste of time. Fountain of youth indeed! Any good man of science should rightly be sceptical of such superstitious nonsense! And Dirk of course is a good and respectable man of Corrington, a nation known for its love of science and order! After seven good labourers deserted the settlement in search of this fountain, Dirk voiced his frustrations of Xochitl. The beautiful priestess had suggested she take him to see a waterfall some distance into the interior from where the settlement had been established. Dirk, badly in need of a break from the settlement and keen to make some scientific observations in the interior's vast jungle, had agreed and at the first opportunity a small expedition set off.

27893803952_87bb0daa3f_c.jpg

On reaching the falls Dirk's breath was taken away by the beautiful serenity of the scene. As he and Xochitl relaxed lazily on the banks and watched the water cascade into the pool beside them, he felt at peace for the first time in months. Indeed this was just what he needed. No drunken brawls between soldiers, sailors and marines, no convicts to supervise, no free settlers complaining about provisions. Just natural beauty surrounding him. Already he had spotted some examples of an unfamiliar specie of epiphyte with brilliant pink flowers growing in a large tree. His friend Don Montoya would surely be interested in some sketches of these! Dirk felt younger than he had in years... ppfffftt a magical fountain of youth indeed! What poppycock! Surely here was the key to feeling healthier and younger, a peaceful and gorgeous location, good company and plenty of new flora and fauna to investigate - what more could a man of science and order ask for? Not without a sense of humour, when discovering the native people didn't have a name for the falls, Dirk decided henceforth they should be known as Tholeau Falls. Little did he know the name might be more fitting than he had ever imagined...

27961382806_f58d52f5be_c.jpg

and a picture without figs in case you're interested!

27382725904_1838ff7446_c.jpg

You may not be very happy, the waterfall is great! Especially the surroundings add a lot, awesome vegetation!

You are so incredibly, amazingly good at those caribbean jungle scenes - just perfect!

Edited by Elostirion

You are so incredibly, amazingly good at those caribbean jungle scenes - just perfect!

Second! Best waterfall i've seen in LEGO form!

Well if you think you can improve on the waterfall I look forward very much to seeing it because that one is superb, the whole build is great, the vegetation looks really believable, the obvious limitations of pieces and colours do not seem to stop you from creating a very authentic scene.

I am going to have to get some of those palm tree bases, they always look great.

Top work!

Very nice build ayrlego, I really like how you've done the sloping hills of bamboo leaves. :thumbup: The waterfall is well done too though putting white bricks behind it would have given it an even foamier look.

Great work. I'll echo others in saying that the waterfall is gorgeous and your vegetation is top notch.

I'll add my voice to the "beautiful waterfall!" chorus. It looks great to me, as does the rest of he build. I wish I could create natural scenes like this. Stunning work!

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

Second! Best waterfall i've seen in LEGO form!

If you are interested here are some amazing builds (far better than mine) that I took inspiration from. Linvale Falls by Aardwolf, Waterfall beside a little cave by Xymion

*snip* Well if you think you can improve on the waterfall I look forward very much to seeing it

Top work!

What I was thinking was to make the trans clear columns SNOT using 1x2 clear plates (or 1x3/1x4 - not even sure if they come in that size??). Problem is I only have 13 of the 1x2s.... I think with plates vertical with the studs facing out, in different layers you could probably make a better looking effect than the stacks of round and square 1x1 trans clear plates. That, and like Kai suggested, incorporate some white plates in around the bottom to simulate foam (sort of like in this build by kabel). Anyway those are my thoughts, happy to see anyone attempt it!

...That, and like Kai suggested, incorporate some white plates in around the bottom to simulate foam (sort of like in this build by kabel)...

Actually I meant to suggest putting white behind the clear, where it would not be directly visible. The grey gives the clear a dark tint.

Edit: A small (very small) example.

Edited by Kai NRG

Lovely story!

Beautiful build and excellent photography as well, the colours came out very nice

You may not be very happy, the waterfall is great! Especially the surroundings add a lot, awesome vegetation!

Yepp, that comment already nailed it pirate_laugh2.gif

Amazing waterfalls and plantation! Great photos also!! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Good job!!

Edited by Mpyromaxos

Light trans-blue water usually looks good, but you've taken the whole build to another level here! default_wubnew.gif The colors pop as usual from you, and the vegetation, rock-work, and pool work together perfectly! Excellent story as well, and the hint of something more at the end was a very clever tie-in with the challenge!

About the waterfall itself, I believe that my main suggestion would be the same as Kai's (that is, to put some white behind it - here's a larger example of that), but I would also suggest maybe adding some more stacks of 1x1 rounds around it (if you had any left) to avoid the gaps in the waterfall, and to leave out the 1x1 plates, which don't really make sense (why would the water do that? default_laugh2.gif) and which look a bit odd.

Overall, definitely an excellent build, though - and I didn't mention it before, but the bamboo leaves on top of the palm trees' upside down leaves work very well, I'll have to try that myself sometime!

Thank you everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions Garmadon and Kai, I appreciate the effort you guys put into your feedback and value your insight. I'll be sure to try the white technique you guys suggest in a future waterfall!

As always, I appreciate your expertise with the vegetation. It makes it come alive. I also appreciate your continuation of the story started in Challenge 1 withe the princess. Great take on this challenge.