Mister Phes

Who are the best minifig customizers at Eurobricks?

Who are the most experienced minifig customizers at Eurobricks?

I.e. someone who design design a torso decal that looks like something the LEGO Group would release themselves?

Ideally those who is interested in historic themes... particularly those relating to LEGO Pirates.

I think the answer to this depends greatly on what your endgoal is. There are people that are great at various parts of customizing but not necessarily every part. There are people great at every part but they are running a small business, so that might not fit your needs as far as cost is concerned.

Decal Design?

Waterslide implementation?

Direct printing? (pad? inkjet?)

Custom molding/hair/etc?

Full figure design, parts collecting, and packaging?

I think the answer to this depends greatly on what your endgoal is.

Pretty much all that which you've mentioned except parts collecting and packaging.

But decal design is most important at this stage.

I am personally against the custom part molding, if you are talking about a single AFOL using putty or so for personal purpose.

The nicest thing, in building with these bricks, is to find a way to get the shape you want with what you have. Using sqaured bricks to get curved lines and so on... and this (to me) is true also with minifigs.

Things changes if you are talking about a third part, making pieces "in series". The complete availability to all users meke those pieces in some way "official". I, myself, have some WWII german and US helmets, weapons etc to put in my minifig.

I have to agree, it really depends. And honestly, in my eyes, no one is "bad", some people are just inexperienced. They haven't found their groove yet.

It's hugely a matter of taste. I myself prefer figures made in a way LEGO would make them. But some people prefer super-detailed customs. Fine, some are awesome (check out Jay Stephens or Logan Fulford), but this isn't my style. And it isn't fair to compare these super detailed figures to more LEGO-esque ones like mine. Just a matter of taste and personal preference. I myself see all customs as good, but I do not hold them all to the same standard.

I am personally against the custom part molding...

I myself prefer figures made in a way LEGO would make them. But some people prefer super-detailed customs...

Interesting opinions but I think Mister Phes is looking for costumizers for the Haven Guard project pir_laugh2.gif

I wish I could help but I'm not much of a costumizer, I like the Idea of seeing a new torso decal that may eventually become an official LEGO torso pirate_classic.gif

EDIT: Sorry Borador

Edited by Sebeus I

I was pretty sure about Mr Phes intentions. I haven't told anything against decals for torso, as even for the new flag (I've voted for that) some new print will needed :)

I'm against the molding of new pieces, as casting with bicomponents or 3D printing etc. Also this kind of implemention could be an anchor for the haven guard project. Couple years ago I've seen a special episode on LEGO at discovery channel, and every single mold costs to TLG 250k euros. Casting new pieces is expensive, I think we've all that we need.

About torso/flag/faces printing is obviously another story...

Sebeus, hope you still have the lfx file about your brickbuilt hull 2 masted, that would ba a great purpose IMHO!

Interesting opinions but I think Mister Phes is looking for costumizers for the Haven Guard project pir_laugh2.gif

I wish I could help but I'm not much of a costumizer, I like the Idea of seeing a new torso decal that may eventually become an official LEGO torso pirate_classic.gif

Can you please change the order of those quotes please? You make it look like I agree with Matteo, when in fact I do not. I was agreeing with DarkDragon.

And if he was looking to recruit people, then I suppose I misunderstood. Although, I think this would be better in the Minifig Customs Workshop, where it's more likely to be seen by someone who can help.

Wow! What a tremendous waste of time that was. 

I don't know if I'm best, or even conventional for that matter, but I do design. I haven't show much as I'm still developing my own figures but I can do fairly intricate work when I get down to it. How can I be of assistance? 

Mine was just an opinion. Since in the torso design the suggestion was "not to exceed 4 colors and black lines count as one" I just thought it was a matter of costs. In that case, designing new bricks to customize minifigs might be a bold move.

BUT, as I said, it just an opinion/criticism.

I don't know if I'm best, or even conventional for that matter, but I do design. I haven't show much as I'm still developing my own figures but I can do fairly intricate work when I get down to it. How can I be of assistance?

I'm not sure if you've been following, but we're designing a new LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme which we'll submit to the LEGO Group through their Ambassador Program when done.

We've conceptualized a faction called the Haven Guard, which is basically a harbour patrol with a colonial Dutch influence who guard over the Merchant's Port van Brickhaven.

We've been working on designs for flags and torsos, but with my 10+ years experience as a professional graphic designer I'm not confident the current designs have sufficient "WOW factor" to capture the LEGO Group's attention.

So now I'm seeking highly experienced customizers who can design decals which reflect a contemporary LEGO design aesthetic.

If that's you then don't hesitate to contribute ideas!

And if he was looking to recruit people, then I suppose I misunderstood. Although, I think this would be better in the Minifig Customs Workshop, where it's more likely to be seen by someone who can help.

I was attempting to get obtain a list of customizers to personally contact but advertising in the Minifig Customs Workshop shall indeed be my next step.

Still, please continue to suggest customizers...

My skills aren't perhaps the most creative, as I generally just screen-grab from LDraw, cut the images apart, recolor and stitch them together in new ways, but if we can't find someone else, I could probably fill in the gap, at least until we have someone with more experience.

(On the positive side, the designs would definitely be permissible by LEGO!)

To be entirely honest, I am but have reservations about it, though I don't think you really need my help. I think the Minifig Customization workshop is where you'll find help making something most conducive to actually getting picked up by Lego. I'd be happy to discuss my concerns in privet but it could have no positive effect on the effort publicly, so I'll remain stoic. I'm still happy to help if you'd like. Here's a link to some of my older work for consideration, though I've been trying for greater intricacy and accuracy lately. If it shows what your looking for, if it has that"wow factor" I can come up with something for Haven Guard.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89295#entry1757678

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/kurigan_the_red/library/Real%20Models/Mini-Figs?sort=3&page=1

To be entirely honest, I am but have reservations about it, though I don't think you really need my help.[...] I'd be happy to discuss my concerns in privet but it could have no positive effect on the effort publicly, so I'll remain stoic.

You may send me a Private Message if you wish.

I'm still happy to help if you'd like. Here's a link to some of my older work for consideration, though I've been trying for greater intricacy and accuracy lately. If it shows what your looking for, if it has that"wow factor" I can come up with something for Haven Guard.

Your older works seems fine - if you wish to contribute designs please do so.