Sign in to follow this  
kibosh

10179 UCS Millenium Falcon parts question

Hi guys,

I have a line on a MISB UCS Falcon for a decent price. I plan on modifying it anyway, so I know there are some parts I could sell off to help defray the investment cost. Other than the gray rigging pieces, which other pieces are commanding high dollars on the after market? How much could I expect to make back?

Thanks!

After the pair of riggings (which you should easily get $200 for) the next most obvious is the dish ($50), and the sticker ($200). I'm not sure that anything else is rare enough to bother with.

The dish can be replaced by a brick-built dish, either for OT or Ep VII. Since you are planning on selling the rigging, you probably have a plan for the engines... but if you don't, I do happen to have a nice cheap design for a replacement.

All three of these mods (two dishes and engine) can be found on my Modded UCS Falcon thread.

Having said all of the above: If money is an actual concerm then I wouldn't advise buying a MISB 10179 and selling off parts: unless your seller is willing to let it go for less than $1000 it is simply not worth the cost.

The very cheapest way to buy one is to bricklink the individual parts, with colour substitutions: but that does take a lot of time and organisational ability. There are numerous threads on this very forum containing advice on how to do this.

The best compromise may be to buy a bricklinked set from eBay - they typically go for under $1000. There are some examples on eBay at the moment... although, unnervingly, they say that they are mostly made from "lego compatible" parts...

I think I can get the set for $750. If I can get $450 back right off the bat, this might be a no brainer. I imagine I could get a decent amount for the manual as well.

I think I can get the set for $750. If I can get $450 back right off the bat, this might be a no brainer. I imagine I could get a decent amount for the manual as well.

You'd be better off selling it MISB, then buying a Bricklinked one and being a couple of grand up!

Wow, that's very good price - I've just finished Bricklinking parts and they came to around $900, with colour substitutions.

I must say, if I were offered a MISB one for that price, my immediate thought would be 'stolen goods' or 'scam', but hopefully that's not the case.

a MISB for a set that routinely goes for $2000 or more, for only $750...something does smell fishy here.

With that said, it does seem silly to buy a sealed one and sell off parts to modify it. At $750, keep all of the official parts separate and then modify it yourself. That way if you did decide to resell later you didn't just kill your resale value.

The grey rigging is currently £350 (about $500) per part on BL Europe. The dish £150+. The 6.6L patio stands £6-£8 each. The Grey levers £5-£8 each. The cylinders without slots £2 each. The yellow technics right angles £20 each.

It would cost upwards of £2,000 to BL a Falcon with all genuine parts, one was on UK eBay a couple of weeks ago that had half the cockpit missing and looked like it was sun damaged on one side. It had instructions but no box and sold for £1,400.

$750 is either a scam or the find of a lifetime.

I'm with everyone else. A boxed 10179 for $750 is far too little so if genuine then get it and sell it on. I actually prefer the modded versions with the revised engines that don't use the rigging etc anyway but for what you'd get for a MISB one you could BrickLink one and have money in the bank.

If it's not a scam, and it smells seriously fishy at that price, then you'd be insane to part out a sealed box UCS Falcon. Buy it, sit on it for a few years, and make an absolute killing, but you're probably throwing away $1000 if you part it out.

Put it on your credit card if its a scam no biggie you can dispute it with card company and you'll be reimburse soon enough

I came across one a few months ago for $600 on craigslist(in box supposedly). But the stupid seller listed it in the wrong area on the other side of the state. :cry2: I couldn't count on them holding it for me if I was willing to travel.

Curious, is this the one from craigslist Detroit?

Yes, it was.

Put it on your credit card if its a scam no biggie you can dispute it with card company and you'll be reimburse soon enough

They will only take cash or Amazon gift cards.

I came across one a few months ago for $600 on craigslist(in box supposedly). But the stupid seller listed it in the wrong area on the other side of the state. :cry2: I couldn't count on them holding it for me if I was willing to travel.

They just pulled this! After going back and forth with someone I thought was 10 minutes away, I got the, "By the way, I posted in the wrong area. I'm actually in southern Ohio."

So yeah. This is a total scam. I see how people get scammed every day. I KNOW this is a scam, but a little piece of me keeps screamed, "But what if it's not???" I got the price down to $500.

The piece that sealed it for me was asking for pictures. I got a ton, but most are obviously crops of some of the larger pics. And this one popped up on a reddit thread about the same scam last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/3i57u2/is_this_a_good_deal_craigslist/

28205493702_95f47774d0_z.jpg

On 6/27/2016 at 10:31 AM, EdmanZA said:

Wow, that's very good price - I've just finished Bricklinking parts and they came to around $900, with colour substitutions.

I must say, if I were offered a MISB one for that price, my immediate thought would be 'stolen goods' or 'scam', but hopefully that's not the case.

I just bought a BrickLinked one for bout that price, with black rigging and no dish sticker. However, I have seen a really good mod that uses 8 curved LBG droid arms and 6020990 silver metallic parabolic ring that goes on the inside of the dish.