Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Sorviodunum

Sorviodunum, an Avalonian outpost, deep in the Mystic Isles. The tower watches over the main route to Ynys Wydryn - the sacred realm.

Just a quick excuse to have a go at a round tower design built from 1x1 round plates and 1x1 bricks with stud, which I will be using on my next moc. I wasn't planning on using a pointed roof on my upcoming build, so just added it for the sake of something different. Plus im trying to build up my own area of land in Avalonia, so this is part of Ynys Wydryn.

6709336477_311a11318f_z.jpg

6709320879_6e1802b79a_z.jpg

6709290563_b0a8e729d6_z.jpg

Thanks for viewing, comment and critique allways welcome

nice. That technique certialy appears to work well. Looks like you new favorite part is that Vikings 1 x 4 with the gold dragon on it. It is a great part!!

Fantastic DC!!

Love the purple flowers on the tower as well as the wooden battlements!

So the tower is built with only 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 bricks and 1x2 tiles connecting those? Is the tower sturdy? When I build my round towers with 1x1 round brick and 1x2 brick they feel very unstable... But i just love the outcome of it!

The rockwork on the ground is also very clever! Too bad I just had a BL order sent away, otherwise I would have included those aswell!

So the tower is built with only 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 bricks and 1x2 tiles connecting those? Is the tower sturdy? When I build my round towers with 1x1 round brick and 1x2 brick they feel very unstable... But i just love the outcome of it!

Good question. Did you make an additional reinforcements on the interior? Or maybe the stability is on the top and the bottom?

Thanks guys, it is pretty sturdy. I started off by using those 1x2 hinge plates to make a round circle shape. The diameter is 12 studs, so you can attach a 12 stude plate acroos at any angle. Then each 1x2 section is built up using the combination of 3 round plates then a 1x1 brick with stud, then 3 round plates and then a 1x1 brick with stud etc, and keep going up like that. Obviously you have to alternate it so to the left and right of every 1x1 brick there is 3 round plates, hope you understand what I mean. Once you have got about 10 bricks high, its time to strengthen it, which is done by using 2x12 plates to criss-cross through out the tower. Just remember to use a 2x2 turntable plate to allow for crossing the 2x12 plates at every angle. Doing this pretty much means you can go as high as you want, strengthening it every so often and then attaching the tiles to the studs on the side. I will probably add this technique over at the guide, as its far easier than it sounds.

Oh, and yes, I picked up 30 of those viking pattern tiles from bricklink over Xmas and they are very handy for adding a bit of fancy engraving on buildings :classic:

Thanks guys, it is pretty sturdy. I started off by using those 1x2 hinge plates to make a round circle shape. The diameter is 12 studs, so you can attach a 12 stude plate acroos at any angle. Then each 1x2 section is built up using the combination of 3 round plates then a 1x1 brick with stud, then 3 round plates and then a 1x1 brick with stud etc, and keep going up like that. Obviously you have to alternate it so to the left and right of every 1x1 brick there is 3 round plates, hope you understand what I mean. Once you have got about 10 bricks high, its time to strengthen it, which is done by using 2x12 plates to criss-cross through out the tower. Just remember to use a 2x2 turntable plate to allow for crossing the 2x12 plates at every angle. Doing this pretty much means you can go as high as you want, strengthening it every so often and then attaching the tiles to the studs on the side.

So you did both, the 1 x 2 hinges and the interior plates. That would be pretty dang sturdy. Makes perfect sense to me!

everytime I look at one of your builds I am in awe. they just seem so realistic.

and thanks for the insight on how you built it.

Amazing as usual. I love everything about it. I like the new border (maybe I haven't noticed it before) you've been using on the bottom of your MOCs. You and Z always have professional looking borders on your MOC that just make them pop. I'm going to have to come up with my own.

Whenever I create oddly shaped structures, I build them first without any inner workings to see how it looks, then I take it apart and rebuild it as almost a completely solid structure. The inner support is integral for my embassy.

Edited by rogueang

Another beautiful build! That technique is very cool, I like how it uses the typical round wall technique with your own 1x1 round plate style.

Great work. Your Mocs are always so beautiful and with so many details. The tower looks so brilliant.

I have one appeal, please show my/us how to build this round tower. This would be great, if you list this to "Detailed guide to building"

Wow, you're in a league of your own when it comes to MOC'ing. I love the 2 x1 tiles afol around the tower, it gives it that brick look.

Very impressive.

Phenomenal and very innovative! Even more innovative techniques. I think DC must spend all day figuring out how to build cool things. I really appreciate you showing us all these methods. (I just need to get the right parts to build in this style...)

I suppose the vines with purple flowers are wisteria (or maybe bougainvillea, but I don't think Avalonia is that warm). And the base / fence at the bottom is a great look! Another interesting technique to file away somewhere. Are those brown 2x2 turntable bases? Where did you find those? They're not even on BrickLink in any form of brown.

Can you please stop building from such fantastic MOC's :devil:

You give no time to decide which of your buildings are better now :tongue:

Round towers are a weakness to me, and this one is totally beautiful the attention to detail is magnificent and the feeling of mystique is great on those purple flowers, can´t wait to see more constructions for the isles. :wub:

Great work.

Would be cool to see a step by step guide on how you created that tower. If only the basics are shown.

I'm not the guy to tell people off but please try not to bump up old topics, even ones this good :laugh:

I'm not the guy to tell people off but please try not to bump up old topics, even ones this good :laugh:

LD is right- try not to bump something that hasn't had a post in a few months unless there is something new to discuss with it. I believe this was recently posted on the Brickworld site as an example of an excellent "tower" build for a collaborative build they are encouraging. I agree, a great tower to include as an example by DC!

@ mephistoteles, argh, I looked there and missed the last bit. Thanx.

As for bumping: sorry. But to my humble defence:

1) usual a forum warns if a thread is 'dated', eg older then 90days. So I did not pay attention to the date at all.

2) I rather bump an old topic (aka "ARISE DEATH THREAD!") then create a new one telling the same which has been told before. That's why forums have a search forum, right?

:)