Daedalus304

MOC: Large Transport Truck

Hey all! I've always loved the Rock Raiders, and today I've got a MOC to show that I really hope fellow RR fans enjoy! (And all the rest of you too, of course!)

img_0308rs.jpg

In the game, there was a very wide variety of vehicles, but never any large-vehicle equivalent of the Small Transport Truck. We did have the Tunnel Transport, but I can imagine there's many cases a big helicopter just isn't practical! The vehicle has big wheels and a powerful engine (I admit it, I stole the Chrome Crusher's! :laugh: ) so that it can transfer any size load.

img_0311r2.jpg

The Large Transport Truck has a modular cargo hold so it can carry a wide variety of things all over the caves, and the strong bars over the top make sure you can transport anything, anywhere, safely. In this picture it's got the module for carrying Rock Raiders, which also has a tool stand.

img_0313rs.jpg

Can we just blow it up, before you break another saw?

It also has a large container for carrying large amounts of ore and crystals, or even just rocks! As you can see here, leaving out the modules also leaves plenty more open space so if something is just too large for the container, you can still fit it in and transfer it.

img_0310r.jpg

This is of course the cockpit. Multiple view screens so they can see in front of and behind the vehicle, and two steering wheels... just because. Perhaps the second one controls the modules? Maybe it's to add to the ambidexterity of the vehicle? Who knows! Personally I think I may have gone a bit overboard in there, since it's pretty full compared to the rest of the RR cockpits, but gosh darn-it I had fun designing it and I don't think it's that bad! :laugh:

You can see larger versions of these pictures (And one or two that I haven't posted) here, once moderated. Until then, I'll hide them here in a spoiler tag so you don't have to scroll past them. :laugh:

img_0312r.jpg

With the Container Module in place.

img_0314r.jpg

Side view of the vehicle (With Tool/Raider Transfer Module)

With this MOC I could've gone a lot of ways, but mostly I wanted to try and create a vehicle that fit the style, theme, and spirit of Rock Raiders. Whether or not I succeeded I suppose is up to the viewer, but personally I'm really happy with it! I think I went a little overboard with the inside of the cockpit; but oh well! I designed a prototype mainly with Lego Digital Designer, and then made a few alternatives when I moved to physical bricks. As far as that goes, I made sure to stick to parts and techniques used in the era/theme. Most of the design time was spent on the style of the vehicle, actually, since in build and function it is pretty simple.

I'm still quite new to posting MOCs, so if anybody would like more (Or less? :wacko: ) pictures, let me know and it'd be easy to take some! I can also provide an LXF file for LDD4 if anyone wants it, but that one doesn't look as nice (I had to build a lot of alternatives thanks to omitted parts in LDD)

This would fit right in with the Power Miners theme, I like the short wheelbase and small stature of the vehicle, it makes it look rugged and kind of slow, but powereful.

i've always loved rock raiders and this fits the rock raiders theme perfectly. i never got the sets unfortunately but i've got both the games (PS1 & PC) and i've built a few MOC's as well. really great MOC. well done. :classic:

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm glad you all seem to enjoy it!

Very nice, I simply enjoy the color scheme.

Me too! Rock Raiders had very neat colours, and the teal always managed to be eye catching without being too overwhelming, IMO.

very cool. looks like it could be an official set. :thumbup:

Thank you! This was one aspect that I was really hoping to capture when making this, I'm glad it seems to have worked out how I was hoping.

This would fit right in with the Power Miners theme, I like the short wheelbase and small stature of the vehicle, it makes it look rugged and kind of slow, but powereful.

That's one of the things that I think always appealed to me about the Rock Raiders theme, most of the vehicles seemed pretty rugged and durable. Seems fitting for miners to have tough machines! The large vehicles in the game were always somewhat slow, but with this much carrying room I think it makes up for that!

This truck makes the Crystal Sweeper look like the Stone chopper default_devg1.gif.

Really great work Daedalus304 default_thumbup.gif

:laugh: Thanks, I appreciate it!

i've always loved rock raiders and this fits the rock raiders theme perfectly. i never got the sets unfortunately but i've got both the games (PS1 & PC) and i've built a few MOC's as well. really great MOC. well done. :classic:

I haven't played much of the PS1 game but the PC one's been something I still enjoy playing occasionally to this day. A few weeks ago I studied the in-game models and built all the ships and buildings in LDD - certainly helped ingrain the building/decoration style I'd imagine! I'd be interested to see your RR MOCs, have you posted them here?

Great MOC! It fits right in with the other Rock Raiders sets.

Well done. :classic:

~buddy~

I haven't played much of the PS1 game but the PC one's been something I still enjoy playing occasionally to this day. A few weeks ago I studied the in-game models and built all the ships and buildings in LDD - certainly helped ingrain the building/decoration style I'd imagine! I'd be interested to see your RR MOCs, have you posted them here?

I've posted one now. :classic: my latest is here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48350

do you know of here? http://www.rockraidersunited.org/ it's a great place if you like LRR. i'm apemax there too.