roamingstop

What's Next for Old 4.5V Trains?

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do people still enjoy the older 4.5V sets?

• Never had any...
    • No, I sold (or am selling) mine
    • Wait, I still have some in storage... but they will stay there
    • Wait, I have some in storage, time to get them out again
    • Yes, they are either on my layout, or on show
  2. 2. Did / do you upgrade the locomotives...

• to 12V
    • to 9V / RC
    • to PF
    • no; 4.5V motor is perfectly fine thanks
  3. 3. Did / do you mix and match rolling stock from different eras

4. 4. Would you allow your older models to be exhibited

• At LUG type shows
    • On friends layouts
    • No, I want to keep them all for myself

I recently unearthed some of my older 4.5V models (xxx - 9xx era) and am struggling to know what to do with them. One idea was to create a Museum track to run the models on, kind of like a nostalgia line. However I have realized I am someone who enjoys the design and creation aspects, and have very little interest in watching them run around and around. I would therefore enjoy building the museum, and then wonder what to do next.

To this end I wanted to create a poll, and also ask for others advice. Great designers like SaveTheAggie, Frank Stengel, SteinKopf, Carl Beatrix often have great layouts to show their designs on... but me... well the 7812 Observation Coach sums it up really; the track will only ever get laid for a photo shoot before I move onto another project.

Does it make sense to generate a Museum type layout for a LUG exhibition / autistic roadshow, and then store models away for probably 50 weeks of the year? This also seems a bit wasteful in today's world...

Or should I accept the inevitable and sell them - at which point should they be upgraded to a more modern audience or left with their old squeaky wheel bases? :wacko: Certainly I would welcome others feedback / discussion.

TheBrickster: Im happy if you decide to modify some of the questions of the poll

Edited by roamingstudio

I'm having difficulty replying to the poll since there is no option for not upgrading the motors. The old 4.5V stuff is quite robust mechanically so I don't feel the need to change it. For many the 4.5V era is either nostalgic, or unknown, so can be interesting to see at a display. I've wanted to get mine out for our local convention and next year we will probably have the extra room for me to do so.

no option for not upgrading the motors.

Fixed. A small oversight. Thanks

I got the push along unpowered 7710 trainset for Christmas when I was six. There were other unpowered items produced by LEGO such as set 7715 and loco 7810. Where do these come into the equation? I classed my 7710 as battery powered to begin with as it used the same track as those trains.

Although I am staunchly 12 volt I am all for supporting 4.5 volt enthusiasts in their activities.

i'd love to buy a 7710 and add some power functions to a motorised wagon. i'll just have to wait and see what this year brings... ;)

I don'y have any made up anymore although I had a few back when I was a child. A rumage in the attic turned up a wooden casket over Easter and when I opened it there was a lot of blue train track, the old level crossing and signals from that era as well as some of the old 4.5V motors and some old battery boxes. Not sure if any of them are still in working order as they have been sat in that box for maybe 30 years or more. I'll have to get some of those old style batteries and give them a try. Maybe then if I can dig out some instructions or get them online I can recreate some of those old trains and get them running again on my PF tracks. (I think the old blue ones may look out of place alongside?)There were a bunch of the old red train wheels and the old hook type conections for trucks as well so maybe worth doing this for nostalgia, but it all depends of the motors are still working really.

There were other unpowered items produced by LEGO such as set 7715 and loco 7810. Where do these come into the equation?

Although I am staunchly 12 volt I am all for supporting 4.5 volt enthusiasts in their activities.

Good point. For the younger generation push along is all the rage. Even now a friends 9 year old prefers push than motor. Staunchly 12v makes upgrading older 4.5 push along expensive if they get a red motor! Perhaps the nostalgia line needs to be completed one day

i'd love to buy a 7710 and add some power functions to a motorised wagon. i'll just have to wait and see what this year brings... ;)

I got the 7710 in 1981 (when I was just 2,5 years old), in fact it is the only set that I know the date I got it off (5th of December 1981). I have play quite a bit with it and I still like those loss very much!

Over the years, I have managed to collect a few of the old bases with the red and blue magnets; including the cut out base for the engine.

Ever since I bought ideas book 7777 for my kids, I had always wanted to build a circus train similar to the one in the book.

A couple of years ago, I finally got around to completing this project.

The loco is built around a 9V motor and the cars are on the old bases.

It is always a hit with kids at train shows as they love to see the animals in the cages.

Adults enjoy watching and hearing it as it rattles around the track. At speed, the old wheels on 9V tracks sounds like the rattle of the old steam trains; a bit of nostalgia for us grey haired folk. :laugh:

Actually I have a 7715 and upgraded it to power functions with the motor and battery in the locomotive. I've done it before the first pf trains showed up for sale with parts ordered from s@h. This is what got me into bulding train mocs as an adult...

www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=432819

Funny this question comes up just as I grab my old 7722 Steam Locomotive from my parents house 3700 miles away. I rebuilt it and it is sitting next to my Emerald Night with 2 9V motors. In the instruction book (at the back) are directions to add a 12V motor (7865). I'm thinking it should be easy to drop a 9V in there instead, however I'd hate to loose the red wheel parts. A red 9V decorative side would be great but I know I'm dreaming. I still love the look of it though!!! I would love to see some pictures of updated 4.5's!

I can't enter the poll. My first answer is 'Never had any' so the other questions make no sense but I can't leave them blank.

Lego 7715 steam train modification for power functions: railbricks.com/instructions/lego-7715-steam-train-modification-for-power-functions

The post above (#14) looks like spam but I am kind of glad this topic has been brought back up since I have just restored my childhood set no 133. I also got given some lego not long after which unbeknownst to me included most of the bits for 124 and 125, which I only just realised what they were when I came out of my dark ages, so I restored them too! However I do run them on my grey era 12V layout, and I am very tempted to convert the loco to 12V using the early 12V motor - the one that is in fact exactly the same as the 4.5V motor except with a 12V motor inside.

I am very tempted to convert the loco to 12V using the early 12V motor - the one that is in fact exactly the same as the 4.5V motor except with a 12V motor inside.

The grey 12V controller can be restricted to 4.5V by flipping the dial upside down (it cant turn as far then), and then all you need is the pickups for your 4.5V motor.

See page four of the controller instructions;

http://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/train/supplemental/12v/lego-7864-12v-transformer-controller/

The pickups you need will depend on your motor;

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=704-1

Edited by peterab

The grey 12V controller can be restricted to 4.5V by flipping the dial upside down (it cant turn as far then), and then all you need is the pickups for your 4.5V motor.

Whilst that would work, it would still be restricted to the slow trundle of 4.5V battery operation. The 12V motor has its pinion set in a different position on the shaft, so that it meshes with the alternate gear ratio provided within the gearbox, and is much faster, and although I suspect not as fast as the later 12V motors, I would love to get one so as to be able to do a comparison!

Whilst that would work, it would still be restricted to the slow trundle of 4.5V battery operation. The 12V motor has its pinion set in a different position on the shaft, so that it meshes with the alternate gear ratio provided within the gearbox, and is much faster, and although I suspect not as fast as the later 12V motors, I would love to get one so as to be able to do a comparison!

I have both and can say that the old one has more torque, so if perhaps the new is a bit faster alone, the old is better to pull a bigger load. At lower voltage the old is still faster (you cannot run always at 12v).

Blimey, these old motors are pretty formidable - the later 12V motors can handle a good load, my one motor 7740 can handle all the cars as per my signature with ease!

My first train was the push along 7715, will always be my favourite! have even recently purchased extra carriages for it. unfortunately the original one the grey roof tiles have discoloured from UV, and a few magnetic links were broken, but have got replacement parts. I can remember getting very excited at christmas when I got the battery box to give it power! it was good, but you had to try and catch the train to turn it off!

I have several 4.5volt trains. I fit four AA rechargables in the battery box and contacts underneath to pick up a charge from 12V power rail sections set at the stations etc. When the train runs over a 12v section a relay in the battery box opens if the rails are 'live', the open relay stops the train while the batteries get a charge then a timer cuts the supply to the rails, the relay opens and the train leaves. Simple system that keeps my 4.5 trains alive!