I managed to build special wheels, which use smaller rubber wheel angled at arround 45 degrees tread-wise. These wheels allow the model to drive in all directions! For powering all wheels I used 4M motors, eone motor for wheel. Model can drive forward backwards, left , right, skid left, skid right, skid left and right, skid front end or skid rear end. I also made LDD model:

Vector racer

p1150166.jpg

p1150167.jpg

p1150168.jpg

Each wheel is made out of 6 city wheels attached to small wheel rims (they fit):

p1150171.jpg

And video:

What a great implementation of this technique. I'd seen a big version of this in LEGO, controlled by NXT some time ago, but yours is really compact and "simple"

Zblj, you build the coolest Technic MOCs in Lego Digital Designer! The all-Lego omni-wheels are very innovative. I downloaded your LDD .lxf file (from the link you provided) to see the 268-step Building Insructions, and used LDD Manager to create a Parts List. I'm going to try to make one soon. Thanks for sharing your MOC. I'm going to check out your Brickshelf gallery when it is moderated. You're the best in making Lego Technic LDD instructions! :thumbup:

Edited by DLuders

This is a remarkably clever design, especially how you did the wheel angles. It moves quite fast for a holonomic platform too.

Hi,

Very nicely done

Especially since it needs very few parts to build, while giving quite an impressive feel and movement

Even from the pictures it is quite easy to understand how it works

Need to get 2 more motors to get mine rolling :)

Thanks for all the praise! I am thinking of making a bigger wheel with 12 wheels, so the next model will be less jumpy.

Thanks for all the praise! I am thinking of making a bigger wheel with 12 wheels, so the next model will be less jumpy.

Will be looking foreward to that!

Just to be clear on this: there is an important difference between omniwheels (wheels within wheels at 90º) and the "vector" wheels which are wheels within wheels at 45º - they behave quite differently when applied in models and are not interchangeable. I look forward to seeing a full post on mahjqa's MOC when he's ready to show it...

Great Wheels! Clever design you have there, and you did a super job with it.

Also, that thing can parallel park better than I can!

Nice work, and I am looking forward to the next one! :classic:

Woah! Those are nice mecanum wheels! I never thought I'd see those in Lego. I am on an FRC team and we used them for our last robot and they worked great. It must be fun to drive this MOC!!!

Edited by Swiss Army Droid

This is a very nice creation. It is very simple in its design yet so capable. I was surprised that you used the normal battery box instead of using the rechargeable one to save space. Well its seems like it all fits pretty well. Bravo!:thumbup: