Hey all,

I guess this is a bit last minute, but here is where I'm at so far for my TSATS entry. This is very much a WIP.

This moc is based on a Piper Super Cub on floats:

IMG_4824.JPG

Functions:

-Motorized fake flat 4 engine and prop (variable speed controlled by rechargeable battery and throttle levers in cockpit)

-Working ailerons controlled by left/right movement of joysticks

-Working elevator controlled by forward/backward movement of joysticks

-Working rudder controlled by rudder pedals

-Working water rudders controlled by rudder pedals

-Motorized flaps controlled by yellow levers in cockpit

-Motorized drooping ailerons synchronized with flaps

-Motorized variable pitch propeller controlled by levers in cockpit

-Motorized retractable landing gear with suspension and locks controlled by lever in cockpit

-2 m motors

-2 mini LAs

-1 Rechargeable Battery

-1 AA Battery Box (not pictured)

Pictures:

Side View:

sIMG_0233.jpg

Cockpit:

sIMG_0244.jpg

Engine and Variable Pitch Prop Mechanism:

sIMG_0241.jpg

Motor to Power Engine and Prop:

sIMG_0243.jpg

Gearbox and Linkages:

sIMG_0238.jpg

sIMG_0245.jpg

Float:

sIMG_0249.jpg

Retracted Landing Gear:

sIMG_0248.jpg

Extended Landing Gear:

sIMG_0250.jpg

The gearbox has 3 outputs with forward and reverse for each output. It works similar to the gearbox efferman used in his fantastic log truck. There isn't any return-to-center system for the driving rings like what efferman's gearbox had, and I really wish I would have seen his gearbox before I built mine. It's a brilliant feature that I would have liked to incorporate. Otherwise, the gearbox works great!

I'm really happy with how this is turning out so far. I've been wanting to build an airplane for a while now, and this contest has provided me the opportunity to do so. I'll update this thread as I progress with the project.

I have a bit more work to do, but I'm pretty confident I can have it done by the April 13th deadline. I hope. :grin:

Thanks!

Daniel

I can smell that from here and it smells odorific!! that is one awesome entry! Tough competition!

tim

That is an awesome model too.

At first, I thought it's a bit unfair that some of the members have a very big inventory while others have (maybe very) small.

But I guess size doesn't matter much, since you can stuff almost as many functions into a small model as a big one with the studless system, so the size is mainly a matter of choice. Plus building big has its prizes: a lot more time to build, and harder to make structurally strong.

(My envy talked)

Awesome contest with awesome models, and I am happy to participate

I can smell that from here and it smells odorific!! that is one awesome entry! Tough competition!

tim

That is an awesome model too.

At first, I thought it's a bit unfair that some of the members have a very big inventory while others have (maybe very) small.

But I guess size doesn't matter much, since you can stuff almost as many functions into a small model as a big one with the studless system, so the size is mainly a matter of choice. Plus building big has its prizes: a lot more time to build, and harder to make structurally strong.

(My envy talked)

Awesome contest with awesome models, and I am happy to participate

Thanks guys!

Um... where did the wings go?

This is still a WIP. Wings have yet to be built. I still have a bit of work to do on the rear fuselage as well.

The deadline for completed entries is the 13th, so I should have it done by then. I had to have at least a WIP thread up by the 2nd.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

a very good job! :thumbup:

looks impatiently at the end of this project!

I want a lot of technic pieces!! !!!!! :cry_happy:

Edited by Zaiocrit

Well, over the weekend, I was able to put the wings together. They are mostly done, although I need to figure out where to mount the wing struts. I don't particularly care for the gap behind the red panels used for the wing's leading edge. The original plan was to use more red angle connectors to fill in the gap, much like the black part of the wings. However, the bricklink store that I ordered these parts from has not sent me an invoice, and I won't have them by the deadline. I'll have to leave it as is, or I'll probably just add some red beams to fill in the gap (if I have enough).

sIMG_0252.jpg

sIMG_0253.jpg

sIMG_0254.jpg

I still hope to have this done by the deadline.

My contract at work ended on Friday, so I'm now unemployed and have more time to devote to my project. More LEGO time....Yay! :wacko: Jokes aside, I actually will be very busy the next month or so as I look for work and prep for a 4-6 month long road trip. This may be my last moc for a while. :cry_sad:

Anyways, I'll have more updates as the day progresses.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Awesome MOC! :thumbup:

The wings look great. hopefully you finish it time!

tim

Incredible MOC!!!

cheers

Thanks guys!

Daniel, do you think that you might have this completed by BrickMagic...? This is pretty amazing...

For sure. My plan is to have it done by this Thursday, but I'm not sure that will happen. That will leave me Friday to make and upload a video for the TSATS competition.

Just another update.

The rear fuselage frame work is complete. There will eventually be some bodywork around the frame structure. The rudder and elevators are now hooked up, as well as the AA battery box.

sIMG_0255.jpg

You may notice the battery box is sitting a bit crooked. The battery box works as a counterweight and keeps the elevators in the neutral position. Without the counterweight, the elevators would droop under their own weight and push the joysticks forward. It doesn't look very pretty, but it works surprisinlgy well.

I need to re-gear my rudder pedals as they don't provide enough rudder movement. Also, the plane is a bit tail-heavy at the moment. Hopefully, the weight of the floats and wings will bring the center of gravity far enough forward that the plane won't be sitting on the tail. My goal is to have the CG just forward of the main wheels.

I have my niece's 7th birthday party to go to this afternoon, but once I get back, I hope to finish the rest of the fuselage and have the wings sort of mounted. I might even have time to build my 2nd float, although I can't miss the season premier of The Deadliest Catch on tonight. :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

You may notice the battery box is sitting a bit crooked. The battery box works as a counterweight and keeps the elevators in the neutral position. Without the counterweight, the elevators would droop under their own weight and push the joysticks forward. It doesn't look very pretty, but it works surprisinlgy well.

But then what happens if you fly inverted?

I need to re-gear my rudder pedals as they don't provide enough rudder movement. Also, the plane is a bit tail-heavy at the moment. Hopefully, the weight of the floats and wings will bring the center of gravity far enough forward that the plane won't be sitting on the tail. My goal is to have the CG just forward of the main wheels.

Well, the Cub is a tail dragger so it is supposed to be sitting on the tail. Unless of course it is on floats like yours. Everyone knows that if your plane is tail heavy it just means you need a bigger motor. :tongue:

I look forward to seeing your Plane at BrickMagic. Will your Backhoe be on display as well?

tim

I also think it smells odorific. :sweet:

More progress:

sIMG_0256.jpg

Wings and wing struts are pretty much done. I spent a lot of time fine tuning the flaps and ailerons, and if I have time, I'd like to work a bit more on the ailerons. Using pushrods to control everything is a bigger pain than I thought.

Floats are done. I spent this morning building the second float, and lengthened the first float by 11 studs. The plane was too heavy for the suspension, so I had to eliminate that feature. Since the shock absorbers were 6.5 studs long, I replaced them with a 7 stud long beam. This threw the geometry of the retracting mechanism off, and I spend several hours redesigning part of the retracting mechanism. I'm really happy with how well everything turned out though.

The CG turned out just about perfect. I can lift the front of each float with my pinky finger.

Most of what I have left to do is cosmetic, and I have a bit more framing to do.

I'll have a presentation topic up by tonight.

But then what happens if you fly inverted?

:laugh: I didn't think of that, but I guess if I'm flying inverted, pressure should be on the control stick anyways. :grin:

I look forward to seeing your Plane at BrickMagic. Will your Backhoe be on display as well?

I'm not sure I'll have the backhoe there. I brought it to a few shows, and it's starting to show it's age. It's got a few bugs that popped up during my last show, and I don't really feel like fixing it. I guess it's not that reliable. :laugh: I need the parts for other projects, like my forwarder.

I also think it smells odorific. :sweet:

Thanks!

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I'll have a presentation topic up by tonight.

OK. But be aware that the vote is starting today.

Floats are done. I spent this morning building the second float, and lengthened the first float by 11 studs. The plane was too heavy for the suspension, so I had to eliminate that feature. Since the shock absorbers were 6.5 studs long, I replaced them with a 7 stud long beam. This threw the geometry of the retracting mechanism off, and I spend several hours redesigning part of the retracting mechanism. I'm really happy with how well everything turned out though.

The CG turned out just about perfect. I can lift the front of each float with my pinky finger.

BTW, this is a perfect example of why I don't want digital entries. Negating factors like weight, strength and CG just wouldn't be fair...

OK. But be aware that the vote is starting today.

Uploading pictures and creating a new thread now. Thread should be up in 15 minutes (midnight my time).