EDIT :

Professional building instruction available here :

You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

Here is my UCS AT-AT !

8035841994_5934aa1e09_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

8035841702_ae4e25bb25_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

8035840035_093b1a70c4_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

It is a 2,700 part model. It is hinged everywhere : ankles, knees, hips, neck. And it has an interior in the body and in the head, at minifig scale.

8035838825_77dd56b56a_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

8035839942_8c9f1ab201_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

It comes with a little Snowspeeder to add some fun. :)

8035839278_ec742178b1_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

8035837509_a78f09fe93_b.jpgUCS AT-AT by Anio, sur Flickr

The build is VERY modular :

41.JPG

Some pics on my flickR :

And on my Brickshelf : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=501880

And the video :

Professionnal instruction will be done. One day...

Thanks for reading.

atats09.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan of the shrunken troop section, but the legs don't look bad at all. More on this later.

Which height did you use? 15m, 22.6m, or 25m?

3x3 wedges at the front of the snowspeeder in the manner of Dibal's might look better as well.

Edited by Ishv-viss-j

I am in awe. This is truly beautiful man. I would love to have that standing in my room, seriously.

Well done on an excellent creation there

Can't say I'm a fan of the shrunken troop section

Only 4 snowtroopers you mean ?

I do not need more than 4 soldiers. My goal is to reproduce the "spirit" of the model.

1 commander, 2 pilots, 1 officer. And some snowtroopers. I don't need 20 snowtroopers.

Which height did you use? 15m, 22.6m, or 25m?

None of these.

I used photo from the net and plans to get some features (overall proportions, how the interior is done, some details, etc).

But for the size of the body, the legs etc, I just use my feeling.

I built, and then I wonder "Does it look good ?".

If the answer is yes for me, it is ok. I go to the next step and keep on building.

Designing a good Lego model doesn't mandatory mean doing a 100% accurate MOC or using the dimensions we can find on the net (moreover, these dimensions are very variable from a website to another)

3x3 wedges at the front of the snowspeeder in the manner of Dibal's might look better as well.

?

Only 4 snowtroopers you mean ?

No, I was referring to the fact that the walker's 'carapace' looks too small for its legs and head. In the screencap I embedded you can see that the rear of the troop section extends well beyond the hips. It should be wider as well.

?

Like this:

snsp_nose.jpg

Full gallery here.

No, I was referring to the fact that the walker's 'carapace' looks too small for its legs and head. In the screencap I embedded you can see that the rear of the troop section extends well beyond the hips. It should be wider as well.

Oh yeah, you are right. :)

That was my feeling, you see. :laugh:

And to be more specific, it is not the carapace which is too small, but the hips that are too long. ^^

My plan was indeed to make the hips longer for the model to have big and strong "shoulder" (well, shoulder on the hips :wacko: ; but you get my point).

With big shoulder, I think the model looks mightier. ^^

I think this pic explains what I mean :

38004399.jpg

Like this:

snsp_nose.jpg

Full gallery here.

Sorry, but the way it is build is kind of ugly and weak. I don't build my MOC that way. :s

Moreover, this is way too big for my little snowspeeder.

Edited by Anio

And to be more specific, it is not the carapace which is too small, but the hips that are too long. ^^

My plan was indeed to make the hips longer for the model to have big and strong "shoulder" (well, shoulder on the hips :wacko: ; but you get my point).

With big shoulder, I think the model looks mightier. ^^

Well, I have no choice but to respect that decision then. :classic: It seemed awkward at first, but from that angle I can see what you were aiming for.

You took some nice creative liberties and it paid off! The legs are the best part IMO! Another great model. Kudos!

This looks awesome. I really like how you added space for minifigs, it adds a lot to the build. The whole thing looks so clean, especially the parts for the neck are perfect. The snowspeeder is also awesome, and great for its size.

Great job :thumbup:

Well, it looks ok but is no where near your usual standard of building it looks more like a kids built it to be honest, your other mocs are far more accurate and have lots more detail than this one, I'd suggest you start again from the legs up.

Well, it looks ok but is no where near your usual standard of building it looks more like a kids built it to be honest, your other mocs are far more accurate and have lots more detail than this one, I'd suggest you start again from the legs up.

xD

Is this some kind of trolling or just jealousy ? chrisbk.gif

Edited by Anio

xD

Is it some kind of trolling or just jealousy ? chrisbk.gif

Just an honest opinion,

The body looks too small and the head just looks wrong somehow, i do like the legs though and if you could pivot the ankles...

Everything is up to your usual (excellent) standard Anio, apart from the feet! I'm not sure about them at all, but perhaps they'll grow on me.

I really like the detailing on the rear of the body, it's amongst the best that I've seen for an AT-AT :wub:

Please put me down for a copy of the instructions when they're ready!

I like it, and I'm not really worried about the feet.

There are two things, that immediately caught my attention, though:

For my personal taste,

- the "shoulders" and "hips" are too close to the front/rear end of the body, though,

- and the lower cannons seem to be too long.

Love it. As a non-owner of an AT-AT, I dream of a future official UCS model. I've often wondered how feasible it'd be without a ludicrous piece-count, but you've shown that it is quite realistic.

Chalk me down as another one who'll be keeping an eye out for instructions :classic:

Well done Anio! :thumbup:

This is a very impressive 'monster' (and you've been quiet of late so it's great to see at last what you've been up to)! :sweet:

I assume it's O.K to say this so please understand my comments are more observational rather than critical. I am a pedant for detail and proportion when it comes to modelling material such as this (that's my burden :wink: ) and such an approach may not really apply to this most recent MOC of yours. You clearly set yourself tough goals and achieve them admirably, however, had you called your work the 'Ultimate System AT AT' then I'd have posted 'awesome stuff' and simply, unquestionably loved it! But as you want me to view your work as a UCS then I find it too far removed from ILM source material for my own personal preferences...

It is undoubtedly fantastic work and I applaud you for pushing the medium to this level of detail with such a manageable piece count! It's just that (as you might say) the end result 'feels' more system to me than what I've come to appreciate of UCS builds over the years.

Regardless of my observations, thank you for continuing to share your work and as always I look forward to your next project. Remember, I'd be a very happy man indeed if I had your talent and patience with Lego :classic:

pivot the ankles...

I did not said that in the first post.

But they can pivot of course.

There are two things, that immediately caught my attention, though:

For my personal taste,

- the "shoulders" and "hips" are too close to the front/rear end of the body, though,

- and the lower cannons seem to be too long.

The cannons have a similar length to what I've seen on the Internet.

Love it. As a non-owner of an AT-AT, I dream of a future official UCS model. I've often wondered how feasible it'd be without a ludicrous piece-count, but you've shown that it is quite realistic.

Chalk me down as another one who'll be keeping an eye out for instructions :classic:

Be sure I will post a message here when the instruction is complete. ;)

As for the piece count, I ALWAYS design my MOCs for it the piece-count to be as optimised as possible.

When I see that my Executor has 3100 parts, it is very possible that my AT-AT has finally rather 2,400 parts than 3,000 parts.

It is undoubtedly fantastic work and I applaud you for pushing the medium to this level of detail with such a manageable piece count! It's just that (as you might say) the end result 'feels' more system to me than what I've come to appreciate of UCS builds over the years.

You are wrong. ;)

As I said, doing a model which as small as possible IS one of my goal. This is a very important thing to optimise the build.

A build pointlessly big is, de facto, not optimised.

My AT-AT is 46 cm tall if I remember correctly.

And I think it does not need to be bigger to do a good UCS.

Never forget that UCS is a matter of details, not size.

Look at all the UCS AT-AT you can find on the Internet. They are maybe a little more accurate, especially on the head (I couldn't change the angle 3x6) and the hips (I voluntaraly made them different). But the are definitely not more detailled.

Again, my goal is to make the model as small as possible, just like official Lego sets.

And for that purpose, I think the size of my model is perfect.

PS : for fun, let me remind you that 10221 is exactly as long as my own Executor. 124 cm.

More generally, I do not make mistake regarding the size to adopt.

Edited by Anio

Nice job, Anio! I really like this UCS. The snowspeeder is quite well done, and I like the way you included the inside of the AT-AT.

You are wrong. ;)

Of course I am! I have more money than sense when it comes to Lego!!! :tongue:

As I said, doing a model which as small as possible IS one of my goal. This is a very important thing to optimise the build.

...but not necessarily in accurately representing it as a sculpture! There's only so much Lego can achieve in any given scale but the smaller a MOC is the more likely a build could suffer in terms of details and proportional accuracy. Of course given you are trying to also optimize the build in order to best reflect a possible commercial Lego release then your model may be a more realistic prediction of things to come than other MOCS out there...

A build pointlessly big is, de facto, not optimised.

... a build designed for a particular scale can be optimized for that particular scale. I'm not sure this makes a larger AT AT than yours 'pointless' by any margin nor any less efficient. Merely 'pointless' given your particular terms of reference (or possibly 'pointless' only as a commercial release).

My AT-AT is 46 cm tall if I remember correctly.

And I think it does not need to be bigger to do a good UCS.

I think you've done wonders with the size you've chosen and I agree that 'big' does not necessarily equate to 'beautiful'.

Never forget that UCS is a matter of details, not size.

Your build may be 'optimized' but to me given what I find pleasing in UCS MOCs, (that is detail and proportional accuracy) then this efficiency at the scale you have chosen comes at a cost I'd rather not see in a possible commercial UCS AT AT. Again I have more money than sense when it comes to Lego... :wacko:

Look at all the UCS AT-AT you can find on the Internet. They are maybe a little more accurate, especially on the head (I couldn't change the angle 3x6) and the hips (I voluntaraly made them different). But the are definitely not more detailled.

This is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Larger UCS' of AT-ATs exist which are proportionally more accurate. Of course whether-or-not I find these more pleasing to the eye is irrelevant given your stated goals and artistic license...

Again, my goal is to make the model as small as possible, just like official Lego sets.

And for that purpose, I think the size of my model is perfect.

And you've succeeded admirably!!! It's just that it looks more 'system' to me than reflecting the tradition of a 'grand' UCS such as 10030 or 10179.

PS : for fun, let me remind you that 10221 is exactly as long as my own Executor. 124 cm.

More generally, I do not make mistake regarding the size to adopt.

Well, if you made a mistake with this one then I guess you'd only have a 50% batting average! :poke: But in all seriousness I do appreciate what you've achieved in creating this model. You really have shown what is possible with a commercially realistic number of bricks and let's face it, the damn thing is still standing and it has an interior just to top it off!

Kudos to you Anio! :moar:

This is so cool, I want to build one. I can see from what everyone is saying that it's not super detailed but so much more that TLG version have us. IMO it's detailed enough to be added to your UCS masterpeices. I love 3 in the cockpit good job and accurate, speeder still looks a little big but well done on getting it that small and still getting a minifig in there. Legs and feet look cool and it's nice that whole thing has good articulation. What will we see next?

I'm not sure this makes a larger AT AT than yours 'pointless'

Not the AT-AT itself. Just its "big size".

Big size is pointless.

More generally, I'm hardly impressed by very big MOCs. Especially when, after a short analysis, I can see that the same model can be made in a much smaller version (what is hard is to built small, not big).