Sign in to follow this  
Mraz Skintas

Forum creation requests

Recently, there have been alot of off-topic discussion in the Star Wars related threads in the Culture and Multimedia forum, and I thought that the EB Community would be, well better, if we Star Wars junkies had a separate board to discuss all things Star Wars, minus the LEGO of course. That would eliminate the need to post off topic in one topic, and not end up having to clutter the C&M board with topics on news that is good to some of us, and completely pointless to some others.

This is just an idea, but EB staff, please take this into consideration. :thumbup:

We'll certainly consider your idea, but please remember that some people prefer the whole conbined concept. Your idea would be better for those that want to focus on (or avoid :wink: ) Star Wars, but for others that just want to generally browse it can be annoying.

I read in your reply in the Star Wars Mod/ Regulator question thread about how you didn't want EB and the Culture and Multimedia to be flooded with members joining just because of a Star Wars Forum. I thought that if you and the staff were to go through with the idea, then maybe the Forum/ Subforum could be restricted to Citizens and above, or Knights even.

-May the Force be with you.

Edited by Mraz 'Skintas

The main point here is that EB focuses on LEGO. There are loads of sites that focus on Star Wars already and I don't see why we should try to compete with them. Isn't LEGO a broad enough topic already? Many other LEGO sites target a theme, style or country, but we aim to cover the lot. If we expand beyond that we risk losing our focus and I think that would be a mistake.

I'm honored people would like to discuss non LEGO Star Wars stuff on Eurobricks, but just like the LEGO Company we stay tuned on our core business: Bricks!

I'm honored people would like to discuss non LEGO Star Wars stuff on Eurobricks, but just like the LEGO Company we stay tuned on our core business: Bricks!

And figuring out ways to rob people of their hard earned cash

And figuring out ways to rob people of their hard earned cash

Yep you got it. We're making so much money that I pay someone to put the heads on my minifigs.

Yep you got it. We're making so much money that I pay someone to put the heads on my minifigs.

I'm pretty sure he meant that the LEGO company robs people of cash, not EB. We already know that an admin's wages are one tenth of SFA. :wink:

Back on topic:

I have said this many times before, and I will say it again: I think a whole subforum for SW discussions is a bit much, I think one thread will be enough, and I have created such a thread for discussing purely SW related stuff a long time ago in a forum not so far away (LINK) but nobody cared to post in it. Apparently there is no demand for such a place. :sceptic:

Oky, had I been a member when that topic was created, I probably would have posted there. It seems that alot of the people who talk the most about SW have joined this year.

Oky, had I been a member when that topic was created, I probably would have posted there. It seems that alot of the people who talk the most about SW have joined this year.

Well, if you feel the need to discuss SW, you know where to go now. :wink:

@ the admins: Since there is more demand for such a topic now, perhaps my topic could be pinned now? Or would it not be in the spirit of EB either?

And also with you. :grin:

@ the admins: Since there is more demand for such a topic now, perhaps my topic could be pinned now?

There's no need to pin a popular topic... and as I keep saying pinned topics are often ignored. Pinning is best for topics that are important but are not posted in much, like indexes.

Or would it not be in the spirit of EB either?

EB spirit? :wacko: I thought we exorcised that?

There's no need to pin a popular topic... and as I keep saying pinned topics are often ignored. Pinning is best for topics that are important but are not posted in much, like indexes.

I understand. I'll try it with a banner ad then. :wink: (Hope that is OK)

EB spirit? :wacko: I thought we exorcised that?

Oh, you know what I meant. :grin:

Glad to hear it, unnecessary sub-forums just clutter up a good forum.

Hey everyone! :classic:

I was just wondering if the idea of having a forum solely dedicated to reviews was ever contemplated. I love reading reviews, and I think having them all in one place would be useful, as opposed to digging through the theme threads to find them amongst other discussion posts.

Even subforums off of the theme forums would be useful (Ex- A Town Review subforum in the Town section. I think that set reviews are an important and unique aspect to the Lego community, and separating them from discussion topics would showcase them in a new way.

Thank you for reading! :thumbup:

Well, we want our theme forums to be the backbone of Eurobricks so we are trying to keep as much traffic and discussion in the theme forums. So a fully separate review forum is not according to this strategy. Having a review sub-forum per theme forum has the risk of less discussion for the reviews because a sub-forum is one layer deeper.

For sure this is something the staff has looked at in the past but we are keeping the theme forums as our forum backbone and try to reduce the number of sub forums as much as we can.

All forums (or most at least :laugh:) have a Review Index through which you can find all the theme-related reviews.

What more could you ask? :wink:

All forums (or most at least :laugh:) have a Review Index through which you can find all the theme-related reviews.

What more could you ask? :wink:

That's right! :sweet: Sometimes I forget about that.

And thanks for answering Bonaparte! :classic: All very good reasoning!

I was thinking about Superkalle's recent topic regarding how to determine the production year of a brick and how that kind of information is difficult to find, although I'm sure that it's somewhere out there. So I was wondering if the staff ever gave a thought to creating a sub-forum about collecting and the history of Lego where specific topics such as these could be discussed:

- collectible set preservation, valuation, restoration

- historical evolution of TLG: philosophy, manufacturing (moulds, colours, boxes, etc.)

- old interviews, advertisements, exhibitions, archives

I realize that this kind of discussion currently belongs to the 'general discussion and news' forum, but perhaps it would be useful to keep an historical/collector's corner section separate from the news and general topics? That way it would be easier to search for those topics and perhaps generate more interest in an aspect of our hobby that seems to gather steam -- for good and ill. Then perhaps this does not belong within Eurobricks' remit, as this place is more about creating with Lego than collecting them. Anyway, your views on this suggestion are welcome!

That is quite a good idea. I always wanted to find out more about the history and seeing all the info in one place would be great. :classic:

I'd be very interested to see some more info/history/philosophy of TLC. The idea about collection, preservation etc sounds good as well, as I collect mostly (not so much MOC'ing).

-Marky

Yeah, sounds cool! I'm looking forward to its hopeful creation! :D