How do you rate this set?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 2 - Terrible

thindexedgif.gif

6258 Smuggler's Shanty

Overview

Smuggler's Shanty was released in 1992, it consisted of 69 pieces, 3 minifigs (two pirates, one Imperial) and it cost $9.25 (USD). The set itself is a small but rather sturdy den for the pirates!

Review:

The minifigs consist of two pirates and one Imperial. The minifigs are not all that rare, which is disappointing, I would of liked a rarer fig! But still it is a good cheap source of pirate and Imperial figures.

pa100689.jpg

Here is an overall shot of the set, which includes the three figs, the shanty which is made using palm leaves pieces, and a nice grey shark nibbling at the soldier's oar.

pa100690.jpg

A close up of the soldier rowing hard in his boat. I would have preferred to have a normal soldier with shako hat, as I have more officers than normal soldiers now!:

pa100691.jpg

And a close up snap of the main structure. Note the wine glass, which was a nice touch! Funnily enough, only 4 pieces of treasure were included in this set, compared to the usual 8 gold coins in other sets.

pa100692.jpg

A view from the back, which also gives a good view of the pieces used to construct the shanty mainly simple black 1 by 1 bricks:

pa100693.jpg

The Shanty looks good from most angles but their are a few where the roof construction looks rather odd, but that is just a minor nitpick!

pa100694.jpg

Yet another view from the front,, this time at a slightly different angle. The yellow base plate looks rather nice too, I prefer it over the tan pieces we trend to get nowadays:

pa100695.jpg

"Attack!!" The Stupid drunk pirate in the background does not even notice!

pa100696.jpg

Overall I think this is a rather good set, despite some shortcomings, such as the lack of treasure and odd roof from some angles. The shark, Imperial soldier and useful parts make up for it, and of course the price is cheap on most auction sites, I got mine for a mere �5 ($10), with the cheapest price on Bricklink being $8.

Rate the set then leave your comments, thoughts and opinions!!!

First I'll comment on the review and at a later date I'll comment on the set.

You've done a top job Lord of Pies *y* You've captured the set from a variety of angles and posed the mini-figures interestingly.

Very nice review, Lord of Pies! Thanks for taking the time to put this together, and especially for all the detailed pics. *y*

I very much regret that my dark ages occured when they did. Basically, I missed out on all the cheap and easy troop building sets, and this one is certainly no exception.

The big sets are nice, but these are the ones that always make me wish just a little harder for a return of LEGO pirates... :'-)

I gave it a 4 out of 5, just because I'd buy 4 out of 5 sitting on the shelves today, were it possible.

Great little set!

I bought this set only a few years ago MISB and I am still very happy about it.

The hut is simple but very effective as a castaway building on some deserted island, the palmleaves are a good addition to any Lego collection.

This set had a nice amount of weapons, two for each pirate and two of those weapons are flintlock muskets as opposed to just pistols.

Nice poll as well, but you made sure nobody can give this set a 1 which is very nice (but probably a little mistake :-D ). I gave it the top-rating.

*y*

Nice poll as well, but you made sure nobody can give this set a 1 which is very nice (but probably a little mistake :-D ). I gave it the top-rating.

*y*

So I have, oops! I never was very good at maths. :-P

Wow. I remember this set from when I was a kid. I got it for my birthday and opened the package first. Sadly, I had to go to school so I had to leave it at home and not build it or play with it until I got home. Needless to say that was one of the longest days of school ever.

Good review, great set.

I bought one of these new from Bricklink a few months ago as part of my Pirate splurge I went on.

I really enjoyed this set because of the amount of figs in such a small set, though Pirates were always pretty good about their fig count. Also the neat little hut is nicely done for its purpose.

Great review, btw!

Great small set that can help you add to you minifig count. The little boats are always cool, and the den isn't that bad either.

Another first-rate review!

It's a nice little set with a big number of minifigs.

And 2 flintlock guns is also a nice bonus.

A very nice review of a pretty and neat little set, thanks Lord Of Pies, guess it´s a 3 for me, with strong tendencies to 4.... :pir-classic:

First of all excellent Review! 5/5 for me.

I have yet to attain one of these sets. It has a nice trio of men including a redcoat, and a nice assortment of weapons. The rest, such as the leaves, is great for MOCing.

I gave it a 4 out of 5, just because I'd buy 4 out of 5 sitting on the shelves today, were it possible.

If I saw 5 of these sitting on a shelf I would certainly buy all 5, then I would ask to speak with a manager to see if there is any way I can attain more pirate Lego stuff.

One should not step into the pirates domain and give a mere 1 to any non4+ pirate set.

Duke

This set shows the awesomeness of classic pirate sets. I really have to get me some more! XD

Great Review on a great set!

I'd give the set a 3 1/2 out of 5. It needed 1 more Imperial to get a 4.

A bigger basplate would have been nice as it appears to hard to fit all the minifigs on the island.

Thanks for this great review :thumbup:

Laurinator- I don't mind an occassional old review coming back to life for discussion, but it seems you've replied to many old reviews that have been stagnant for years. Please try to refrain from "bumping" a lot of old topics as it pushes down new content that should really be the focus of discussion now.

Well since this topic has resurfaced, I would add my 2 cents about my appreciation of this set. It was the first and (unfortunately) the largest Pirate set I owned as a kid, but I played the wazoo out of it. Some of the minifigs have lost almost all their face printing after so many play sessions! Theres just something about the hut that appealed to me more than the cheesy skull-face islands we keep getting.Probably that it wa kind of neutral, good for my pirates, settlers or islanders. Though the palm leaves were rather fragile and used to break off the studded parts. It would be nice to get more of these "beach village army builder" sets.

Edited by Ardelon