StarWars8Spoiler

[LDD MOC] Star Wars Rebels A-Wing Starfighter

Hello, everyone. I have another MOC to present you today. This one is based off of the A-Wing Starfighter as seen in Star Wars: Rebels season 2. It's based on the 2013 A-Wing model, but with many changes made in order to closer match the starfighter as seen on television. Playfeatures include retractable landing gear, opening cockpit window, and hidden storage compartments. Minifigures include Commander Sato, Ahsoka Tano, and an A-Wing pilot. This set rests at 213 pieces. Any comments, criticisms, or thoughts are welcome and encouraged! I've included the .lxf file for those who would like to fiddle with the design themselves.

1zqttg3.png

More pictures as well as another download for the .lxf file can be found here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=558711

(Note: folder may be private until approved)

A-Wing Starfighter.lxf

I know how the original looks, but I would find 2 offset things in the LEGO replica that just don't seem to fit well :

- The red 1x2 grills on the sides of the cockpit : did you try to just tile the area or use them in white ? I think it should be even better.

- The area above the reactors, a bit too blocky for me, but that's really a hard part to deal with for sure... I don't know how you could have done it otherwise...

Looks nice. But you took out the nose notch, which was probably one o the better parts of the original set. Otherwise it's just like the older A-Wings. I assume the rebels one still has it, right?

Hello, a few responses to people's notes:

1. The red grilles are supposed to represent detailing as seen on the television series ship. I don't understand what you mean.

2. The notch was never in the Rebels version of the A-Wing.

1608ykp.png

Edited by ChristopherLee

Ah. That's weird. I'm mad that Rebels has thrown off the whole previously conceived canon, but at the same time, I don't care enough to get mad :tongue: Anyways, I think it's a very good representation of the rebels A-Wing, and the official set will most likely end up very much like this.

Well keep in mind that this show takes place 5 years before A New Hope, and we never saw A-Wings in the films until Return of the Jedi. The ship's design was bound to change in some way between those times.

Ah. That's weird. I'm mad that Rebels has thrown off the whole previously conceived canon, but at the same time, I don't care enough to get mad :tongue: Anyways, I think it's a very good representation of the rebels A-Wing, and the official set will most likely end up very much like this.

It's not the same A-Wing as the RotJ ones. Besides it's not Rebels that ignores the previous EU, it's all of SW now (thank fully, roll on B-Wings in Rebels :sweet:).

@ChristopherLee, I see what you were trying to do with the red grill pieces, however I'd suggest moving them back 1 or 2 studs, on the image of the real ( :tongue:) ship they are mostly centred next to the canopy, yours come level with the very front of it.

Fantastic representation—I am really fond of the engine section! Though I wanted suggest a few things that that I say would make this spacecraft even better.

First off, according to the reference image you provided, I suggest that using light gray elements instead of white would be best (it is completely another story for snowspeeders :wink:).

I know this is based off the set, yet I don't know if this possible at this scale, but I think widening the angle somehow would give it a better profile from the top down angle/bottom up angle l(if that makes any sense), according to the show .

Then speaking of the bottom it would look great if (what is underneath of plates called? (I will call them slots—slots not on bottom, SNOB :grin: ) you could find a way to use those curved wedges, which are on top, to cover up those areas, and make the ship look beautifuller, but unless you are striving to keep the deign simplistic for the most part.

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

That was not clear, I apologize for that. I meant that all colors fit perfectly well,, except those red grills, even if they are present on the source material. Or maybe it's just me...

Nice rendition of the new old A-wing. It's great to see these in rebels, I'm hoping we get one as a set, or at least the B-Wing prototype. I'd throw my money at TLG for either.