Sign in to follow this  
mordatre

Review - 8095 Grievous Starfighter. by mordatre

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Sorry to force another 8095 review on all of you, but I´ll try to make it interesting.

If I break any review-laws, please let me know. And I do not know how to make a poll. :classic::)

Reviewers: Mordatre & Clone Trooper 1139 (not included in this set)

Theme: Clone Wars Animated Series (Episode 10 Season 1. Lair of Grievous)

Year of Release: 2010 Summer/Autumn

Pieces: 454 (didn´t count myself)

Minifigs: 3 (New General Grievous, Nahdar Vebb, A4-D Droid)

MSRP: 49 USD?/ 49 Euro? (probably 550 SEK in Sweden)

This seems like a set you either love or hate. I think afol´s generally dislike re-releases.

On Bricklink the 1st version of General Grievous Starfighter set 7656 (used) starts at

around 45-50 USD, and a Grievous minifig normally cost around $30 so I say there´s

definately a demand for another set with the infamous Grievous.

Is it just the same set with a new minifig?, or is it really worth the higher price?

On to the review...

I believe Vulture droids attacked the DHLtruck from Amazon.fr because it arrived like this...

1139 gives a damagereport on the actual legoboxes. Only 5% damages. Good.

1opening1.jpg

Pictures of front, back and side.

2opening2.jpg

Inside: Instructions, Dreaded sticker sheet and 4 numbered bags.

3bags.jpg

Instructions and partslist. Each numbered bag holds all pieces for each step in the instructions.

Just like in "8038 Battle of Endor". Very easy to follow and you do not need to rip all bags open

just to get the minifigs out. For me this set contains alot of good parts. Not that many rare items

but a good selection of plates, wedges, tiles, slopes and assorted smallparts in dark bley, black and tan.

4instructions.jpg

Stickersheet. Five stickers, 2 for the cockpit, 2 on the engines and 1 for the droid.

The only one I really dislike is the droids face.

5DSS.jpg

Bag 1. Parts for minifigs, Grievous chair and his weaponrack.

2 green and 3 blue lightsabers with silver handles. Grievous comes in chinabags.

6bag1.jpg

Nahdar Vebb with standard Mon Calamari head. They got the torsoprint spot on compared to how Nahdar

looks in the Clone Wars episode. There´s always room for more Calamari. He´s Kit Fisto´s former Padawan.

EV A4-D repairdroid is a flimsy minifig. Hard to make him stand up with all his "gear" on unless you

place him on a studded baseplate. Except for the wrong colour (should have been dark tan or geonosis red)

I think he´s accurate enough. However his face being a sticker lowers his value alot.

7nahdardroid.jpg

The General disassembled. No extra arms. Feels like the same plastic used on Super Battledroids,

which means they WILL break eventually. Some people think he´s too detailed, I say we finally

get a minifig that looks like Grievous. If you want a yellow classic minifig, buy a City set.

8Grievousparts.jpg

A new minifig is born and 1139 shows he´s more than cannon fodder by giving the General a calming hand.

Some stretching to soften his plastic limbs and he takes his first steps. HE WALKS! We´re all happy!

9grievousfigure.jpg

-So this is my new home... Impressive.

11ladder.jpg

It´s a rough thing being born, and a swedish afternoon temperature of incredibly hot 12 degrees Celsius

is more than he can handle. While Grievous is testing his Separatist comfort-chair 1139 brings vanilla ice-cream.

What a pal! (A4-D looks pissed.)

10chair.jpg

No, Grievous arms do not look good on battledroids. They´re a little longer and thicker.

battledroid-1.jpg

Bag 2. Sorry I didn´t sort the pieces better, my 4,5 year old son who got this set as a present

told me to build the fighter NOW. He was very excited about it.

12bag2.jpg

1139 and Grievous at work. Step 31 I think. Very solid build,

you can use it to whack someone without breaking it.

13buildphase1.jpg

1139 just finsihed what holds the windscreen in place when closed. Very simple. A rubber technic part

causing friction. Also, slope with cockpit-sticker.

13cockpitthing.jpg

Cockpit finished! The sliding cockpit is a masterpiece. Flawless action and no breaking parts.

A huge improvement from set 7656. The 1x2 dark bley plate stops it from sliding off when opened.

The rubber technic arrangement holds it in place when closed. Great playability!

14grievouscockpit.jpg

1139 needed to remove his helmet when closing the cockpit. Obi Wan needed to lean back a little

but he did fit which is good if you are re-enacting the death of Grievous

15obiclone.jpg

Bag 3.

16bag3.jpg

Great detail on the engines! Hidden missilecompartment is well built and another great thing for playability.

17winggreebels.jpg

Bag 4. Final pieces. 1139 gets excited!

18bag4.jpg

Lock and load! (Almost like a tank)

19loading.jpg

Complete set!

20completeset.jpg

Starfighter.

completefighter.jpg

The ship is supposed to be a legoversion of Grievous modified Belbullab 22 starfighter.

I think they got close enough.

belbullab.jpg

Details. Thrust vectoring fin folded and unfolded. Works as a landing gear, but fighter is so

front heavy it´s only neded when placing minifigs in cockpit.

Close up of one of the triple laser cannons. Can be moved up and down like in set 7656.

21features1.jpg

Nothing fancy about it´s belly. Big badaboom is held by 2 studs and is placed on the

long light bley plate.

Hidden missiles in action.

Compared to Anakin´s starfighter.

22features2.jpg

Flap. These should point in towards vector fin as seen on the boxcover.

23flap2.jpg

Spares.

24spares.jpg

Probably the first kid in Sweden to own this set. Not that he understand the awesomeness

of owning a set before it´s released. He´s just happy to finally get a Grievous minifig.

25kid.jpg

---------

Conclusion:

I really had fun building this set with my impatient 4,5 year old son. Interesting build

and not that repetetive. The final set turned out great I think. Lot´s of playfeatures

(you DO know it´s a toy for kids right?), details and interesting minifigs. Starfighter is heavy and

very sturdy. Easy enough to hold when swoshing. I have owned 2 7656 (both sold) and this version

is much better I think. More expensive yes, but there are sales, discounts and cheaper stores

to get it from.

I will probably buy this set when it´s available at a lower price, sell Nahdar and droid,

keep Grievous on display and use the parts for MOC´s.

Thank you and goodbye.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

1139, that guys always around some type of vehicle....

Nice review, intresting presentation. The more reviews I see, the more I want this set.

Wow, thanks for this review, mordatre.

It's quote elaborate actually, nice work :thumbup:

I can't wait for this set, I love the new Grievous, and Nahdar Vebb and the droid (A4-D, I think?) are terrific too.

"IT'S A FLAP!" Teeheee, that's hilarious :grin:

Regards,

CF W

Edited by CF WeaZZel

I don't think you can ever have too many reviews.

I like your clone helping the build and the fact that your an AFOL and are stoekd to get it early, yet you let your child play with it.

That's awesome!!!

Plus you gave some views of the figs I have not seen before.

That is one hell of a review! Didn't read such a nice one since some time, I really enjoyed it! And the fact your son is waiting for the model to play and you had to hurry didn't prevent you from making spot-on clear pictures, very nice and interesting! Your english is perfect (What's up with you swedish people anyway, you have 2 languages I think sometimes.. does anyone still speak swedish over there;)??) and I enjoyed your humour and all the AFOL-ish knowledge you were providing us with so easily. Greets from Tokyo, thanks a lot and please, more of that in the future!

PS Thanks for the Obi-Wan and Trooper seating, thats what I needed to know. Oh and please let your son play a lot with the set, and tell us when the General loses his arms!

About the set.. I don't know. It seems a pretty nice set, nice colour and parts. Grey is my favorite. If the figs turn out to have a good BL price, I might sell them and give the fighter to my Obiwan. He spends too much time in gunships anyway. Needs some space for himself.

Thanks all. I only have a small collection of OT Imperials myself, but my kids loves the Clone Wars (also OT, PT and 2005 cartoon Clone Wars).

I couldn´t resist buying these sets when Amazon.fr had them so early. Some of you probably noticed there were 2 lego boxes inside the big package. I have yet to open my Wampa Cave.

Grievous has already been torn apart and back again a couple of times today. We´ll see how long his limbs lasts.

If you want to teach your son a lesson about patience you should shoot that ship over my way and I'll hold onto it for a while for him : )

IT'S A FLAP!!!

Great review. I like this set. It's way better than I expected :thumbup:

Great review.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics.

And no, you haven't broken any review rules at all.

All reviews are welcome here.

Owch ! Hope everything was in the box when it rocked up like that 'mordatre' ? :blush:

Thanks for a great review, you had to con a clone to build the good (haha) general's craft eh :wink:?

The DSS is not as bad as some sticker sheets, plus the general looks better each time I see the character - Lego woke up to themselves.

This is 100% better than the other one !

What else NEW did you get in the box 'mordatre', it looks like more Lego ? :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Now this review changed my opinion about the new Grevious Starfighter significantly! Great job mordatre! :thumbup:

funkybrick

Really nice review! I was on the edge of buying it and not buying it but after this I think I am. I have two questions though? One can you put a cape one Grievous? Two, are those Guinea pigs or a rabbit?

Nice job and I hope to see more from you!

It's a Flap!

Great review! You should join the Reviewer's Academy!

I was not impressed by the old Grievous starfighter, and I'm really happy I got it for a reasonable price ($30) since it's skyrocketed since. I may pick this one up though, as I really like the minifigs.

Thanks for the pics and your thoughts!

When the first pictures of this showed up, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew I was going to get it (collector's addiction), but now I can't wait to get this set into my hands and to build it as well, thanks to your review.

I have to admit, Grievous's figure is different (remember aldar beeto (7186) and sebulba (7171) - now they were :thumbdown: , to put it mildly, although I 'have a warm spot in my heart' :blush: for them as well), but I'm sure I'll like it much more once he's standing on my shelf than just from the pictures. My son as well...his first LEGO star wars gift was the first grievous fighter when he was six. Which was (and is) a great set as well. But the remake just looks even better.

Really nice review! I was on the edge of buying it and not buying it but after this I think I am. I have two questions though? One can you put a cape one Grievous? Two, are those Guinea pigs or a rabbit?

Nice job and I hope to see more from you!

It's a Flap!

You´ll have to make a custom cape for Grievous.

They´re Guinea pigs. :classic:

Cool! :wub:

What was the other set you bought?

Please refrain from bumpin' old topics if you've got absolutely nothing to add to them.

There was a small sale today at Target so I decided to pick this one up, and I have to say it should be on everyone's list at the right price. Even if you don't like GG or the ship itself, there are tons of excellent pieces that could easily be used in any kind of Trade Federation or fighter ship MOC you can think of. I was actually quite surprised with the ship and how cool it was when I bought it. Definitely a top choice for any collector or anyone in need of some interesting pieces (sale brought it under the .10 cents per piece which was nice).

Thanks for the review, it is the reason I got the set and I think it was a great buy!