Sign in to follow this  
Hollander

[MOC] LDD Y-wing Version II

Hello!

Again a very impressive virtual building. :classic: The new cockpit section is very original and very accurate! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to make your old one better! This is awesome. I love the new cockpit. :thumbup:

BTW, how stable do you think the new front end would be if you were to make it in real life?

Brilliant! Love this :wub::thumbup:. It's a mean feat to create this in LDD what with being forced to make totally legal connections. I don't know about you, but I sometimes find LDD a bit unwieldy. Any plans to build it for real?

The most beautiful LDD creation I have seen in a long time 'Hollander', such detail :wub: and paint job spot on ! :grin:

AWESOME LDD work there 'Hollander' and Brick On LDD On ! :sweet:

Ooh, that looks a lot nicer than the original. It's very impressive - have you priced it up?

The cockpit is a great improvement, both its new size and shape. Adding a seat and a R2-unit changes the perceived size, which I think is an improvement as well. Adding more colour is an improvement as well, and so are the changes of the parts connecting the engines with the middle part.

All in all, this version is a great improvement compared to the first one. I like it more than 10134, and I would like so see it made out of real Lego. The new cockpit looks very "Y-wingish". My current impression is that the engines are still a bit too long when compared to the cockpit, but that impression may be generated by the perspective.

This Version II is a huge improvement over the original, Hollander. The construction of the head is very unique and easily the best approach I've seen - lots of nice SNOT. Flex tubing for the canopy also works very well, and the use of claws to represent the struts is quite clever. I see the connection between the engines and the main fuselage has also been corrected (and nicely greebled). :thumbup:

Any chance you'll be sharing the LXF file with us?

And I thought your first one was the best Y-Wing I have ever seen...

This one is really good! I love how it isn't just grey and has some brown that looks much better I think.

I also love the astromech :wub:

Thanks for all the kind comments people! Really makes me happy. :cry_happy:

BTW, how stable do you think the new front end would be if you were to make it in real life?

Actually, this LDD design is not buildable in real, as it doesn't contain a frame and is influenced by a lot of ''illegal LDD techniques'', like floating bricks. If I (or someone else) would build this in real, it would be possible, but there would also be a lot of things need to be fixed before it can be turned in a real model.

Any plans to build it for real?

Well, I do have enough grey and also the white parts I would need for this build, but specific pieces like the two large ones at the end of each engine and the flex tubes have to be bricklinked.

have you priced it up?

I believe the price can not be checked in LDD extended. But maybe I'm wrong, I'll check it for you.

My current impression is that the engines are still a bit too long when compared to the cockpit, but that impression may be generated by the perspective.

You could be right in this case, my thought were the same. I didn't know where I can find any realistic schematics for the Y-wing, so I don't know of the engines should be shorter.

Any chance you'll be sharing the LXF file with us?

Sure, I'm going to find out how now. :classic:

And thanks for the backstage support 'fallenangel309', the flex tube for example, was your idea. :wink:

Thanks Brickdoctor. :thumbup:

Hope it will work..

.lxf file

And again.. this is NOT buildable in real without the heavy proper modifications..

Edited by Hollander

Thanks for the LXF file, Hollander.

My current impression is that the engines are still a bit too long when compared to the cockpit, but that impression may be generated by the perspective.

You could be right in this case, my thought were the same. I didn't know where I can find any realistic schematics for the Y-wing, so I don't know of the engines should be shorter.

Try these...

Side view

Another one

Top view (different Y-wing, but I'm assuming the proportions are about the same)

Also, a secondary source:

Fine Molds Y-wing coloring guide

Especially the last source is useful. :thumbup: On starwarswikia I found these schematics, but those weren't accurate, right?

Right you are - the longer I look at the Essential Guide schematics, the more warped they appear to me. The engine nacelles should not be that long...

Something wonderful became even better! And thanks for the file - will look into it when some spare time is found. Would be really nice if this could be built with real parts.

Something wonderful became even better! And thanks for the file - will look into it when some spare time is found. Would be really nice if this could be built with real parts.

You're welcome. Glad you like it. :classic:

Stunning, just stunning :cry_happy: !

It's beatiful with all those greebles and especially that brick built droid :wub: .

Overall it's way better than the 1st version.

Edited by Lord Of The Fries

Can't believe I forgot to comment on this. HUGE improvement over your first version! This is just an all-around awesome version of an iconic ship! :wub: