madoka

Lego is out of their minds!

$10 for a single minifig and some cards? Lego has gone insane. The SW battlepacks cost only $2 more, includes four minifigs, a vehicle, and includes licensing costs. These single figures should have been priced around $3-$4 which is consistent with the prices of the collectable minifig line.

$10 for a single minifig and some cards? Lego has gone insane. The SW battlepacks cost only $2 more, includes four minifigs, a vehicle, and includes licensing costs. These single figures should have been priced around $3-$4 which is consistent with the prices of the collectable minifig line.

No, I do not think so. The spinner pack seem to me like a ~$7 value, as the packs have A Minifig, Accessories, Cards, and a Spinner; all in a blister pack. However, This is a thing of perceived value, and varies from person to person.

No, I do not think so. The spinner pack seem to me like a ~$7 value, as the packs have A Minifig, Accessories, Cards, and a Spinner; all in a blister pack. However, This is a thing of perceived value, and varies from person to person.

Lego's $7 sets usually involve two minifigs and some pieces (i.e. cannon, catapult, etc.). We are talking ONE minifig for $10!

They've priced this line to fail.

I have to disagree in some way. We are getting cards a spinner which is a whole new mold to this theme which you cant get in the normal sets. Think how much a pack off pokemon cards or yu gi oh cards sell for then look how much a CM sells for then you get the spinner which you is a lego beyblade really which are quite expensive and then there is the blister packaging which is more expensive so in all in all I think what some people are looking at it is just for the minifig when there is a whole lot more in that pack :classic: Also it is selling very well when I went to my local tesco they had just put all the spinners out and when I came back to get more later in the day they were all gone :classic: I am not sure if it is going to be like this in the US but in the UK its selling very well right now from what I have seen.

I have to disagree in some way. We are getting cards a spinner which is a whole new mold to this theme which you cant get in the normal sets. Think how much a pack off pokemon cards or yu gi oh cards sell for then look how much a CM sells for then you get the spinner which you is a lego beyblade really which are quite expensive and then there is the blister packaging which is more expensive so in all in all I think what some people are looking at it is just for the minifig when there is a whole lot more in that pack :classic: Also it is selling very well when I went to my local tesco they had just put all the spinners out and when I came back to get more later in the day they were all gone :classic: I am not sure if it is going to be like this in the US but in the UK its selling very well right now from what I have seen.

Yes, It is like that in the US, as I noted in the Offical Ninjago Topic. I also agree with the fact that the blister packaging and the spinner add greatly to the price of the packs, and that the packs are way more then the minifig. However, the spinners are not blind packaged like the CM and card games you mentioned.

Impulse sets are around $3 they have minifig, accessories and bricks, and the minifig is the normal quality.

Yes, It is like that in the US, as I noted in the Offical Ninjago Topic. I also agree with the fact that the blister packaging and the spinner add greatly to the price of the packs, and that the packs are way more then the minifig. However, the spinners are not blind packaged like the CM and card games you mentioned.

I agree. Look at every set with a spinner; they're never good values, IMO. It'd be nice if they could take out the spinner & cards and drop the price a bit.

-Santhor

The spinner packs are being set up in direct contest to Bakugan Battle Brawlers (or whatever they are called now) and Beyblade's latest line Metal Fusion. They are £7.50 in shops here in the UK, a comprable (infact cheaper) price to both Bakugan and Beyblade. Pricing like that in packages such as they have, is saying to parents and kids "Hey look, a new cool battle toy!" .

The actual traditional box sets are priced the same as any other theme apart from a License.

I like(very much) the concept of Spinjutsu so I'm fine with $10. Seems fair ya know?

Then let's compare it to Bakugan and Beyblade only :P

I agree. I love the sets and I think most of them are reasonably priced, but I really don't think I can bring myself to buy one of the spinner packs.

If you buy most of the sets, you can easily get all the figures and accessories for a decent value, whereas you could spend 80-someodd dollars just to get all the character spinners. If I even get one of the spinners, it will definitely be from one of the "Special Edition" sets that includes them.

We can complain all we want about the price, but when nobody buys the spinners Lego will realize their mistake. I think $7.50 would be a reasonable price for them (still a bit steep, but 25% cheaper).

-Derek :classic:

Edited by Derek

£4 buy the ninja set that comes with a skellie a ninja and loads of weapons, also he isn't Chinese plastic. :thumbup:

£4 buy the ninja set that comes with a skellie a ninja and loads of weapons, also he isn't Chinese plastic. :thumbup:

Yes you can do that if you want but then you aren't getting as much accessories and the skellie doesn't have the shoulder armor which is one off the important features to the skellies :classic:

Also it doesnt come with a spinner or cards :classic: And finally you got your price mixed up its 7 not 4 :classic:

Believe me, 8-year-olds don't care about what the price/piece ratio is, or where the plastic comes from... They want to play a fun game with ninja-coolness and smashing-awesomeness, and I am sure TLG did their marketing research before-hand!

Those spinners are flying off the shelf in the USA too!

Congratulations LEGO! Another hit!

The pricing is all a matter of perception. Even though the spinner packs contain LEGO elements, TLG isn't trying to sell the spinner packs as construction sets. TLG is selling the idea of the spinner game to break into the market inhabited by Bakugan and Beyblade.

If you look objectively at booster packs for collectible card games, they are just a few pieces of printed cardboard. If a player looks at a booster pack, the value of it changes because the player is so invested in the card game.

The actual traditional box sets are priced the same as any other theme apart from a License.

That's true, but some might say that the Dojo and/or the Battle Arena are over-priced at $50 USD. (I think so, at least) *off-topic mode* However, I found the Dojo at Target (USA) for $40 the other day. It's a great set, and WAY more enjoyable knowing you got a discount. *resume on-topicness* :tongue:

I have to agree with you, they are damn expensive.

Their strategy about it is not insane, however, because I'm afraid those spinner packs will sell like hotcakes nonetheless. Remember, their job is to make as much money as they can, not making money of exactly you or me.

They don't greatly appeal to me because of - yeah, you've guessed it - the high price and the cheap, cheap plastic which I hate! But I'm nothing in comparison to the big market out there. Why should people who are used to buying Magic the Gathering decks for 13 euros refrain from buying a Lego minifig, a spinner and some cards for 10 euros? NinjaGo is combining two big interests of many, many children and that's why I expect that the "game-based" sets will be a success for TLG.

I don't care about the Beyblade clone game (because that what it is basically, isn't it?) but the pricing of the sets that are of more interest to AFOLs seems reasonable to me (I just had to buy the set with the large Japanese windows in it...). Now Pharao's Quest is a whole other story - 20 euros for 125 parts is what I expect with a Star Wars set, not with a non-licenced one.

If you noticed, they even released a pricy card album so I guess the logic behind it is that the cards are meant to be expensive, since the figure itself should really only account for 1/3 the entire price. Of course, it also seems they're trying to market them same as action figures, but with more accessories, and of course a "pricy" card.

And as for the overall pricing, it seems they've gone and scaled up all the other themes price to parts ratio to that of the Star Wars sets.

I'd have to say that as far as the US pricing, it doesn't strike me as too bad. And the game has some potential for getting my kids to actually play with their legos, as opposed to just building them, then tossing them in a box.

They're not out of their minds, they're just not going to get my money!

The pricing is all a matter of perception. Even though the spinner packs contain LEGO elements, TLG isn't trying to sell the spinner packs as construction sets. TLG is selling the idea of the spinner game to break into the market inhabited by Bakugan and Beyblade.

If you look objectively at booster packs for collectible card games, they are just a few pieces of printed cardboard. If a player looks at a booster pack, the value of it changes because the player is so invested in the card game.

Arigomi is right, I think. TLC is packaging, marketing, and pricing these sets as a game, not as a construction toy. If you purchase one with the mindset of it being a construction toy, the pricing model is terrible.

It's like the Lego boardgames -- as construction toys, their price/piece ratio is a poor deal. You're paying an extra price for all the collateral that goes along with the game -- the printed rules, sturdier packaging, nicer presentation, etc.

I agree that these figs are WAY overpriced and I'm not planning on getting any of them. I'd rather spend the money on another set where I'll get maybe 2-3 figs and some bricks.

The only one I will buy is Sensei Wu when its release in the summer.

I feel that 16 bucks Aussie is too much for it is, a spinner and figure with a few bits....the main problem is........no promotion on TV yet....so how are kids going to know about Ninjago and what it is ?

Unless they visit website's like ours or Lego.com.....how are they to know....big mistake and bad planning. Lego should of instead of making a movie, .....a cartoon series which continues for a season or three - that sells toys - just ask the markers of Bakugan toys ! :wink:

Keep on spinning ! :wink:

Actually, they do have a series that's going to be on the Cartoon Network in the US starting on the 14th. I don't normally watch that channel, so I don't know how heavily they've been promoting it there. With that, the big displays at Target stores and the event at Toys R Us last month, awareness seems pretty high here.