Sign in to follow this  
arjanofski

Showcase for your creation

I've created a site lately called:

www.legotechniccreations.com

On this site I post my own constructions/mechanisms, but i'm interested in posting creations/articles from other people as well. This way i hope to get a large databese with mechanisms,tips,tricks,creations and so on, to use in my/your upcoming creations.

So if you created a mechanism that is very interesting, or if you have build a car, and you think that you can write an article about it, reply to this post, or put a comment in the 'user created content' post on legotechniccreations.com.

When I think it's interesting , I'll ask you to write an article (doesn't have to be big) about it.

Here's a tip: you're not allowed to use the name of the LEGO company in your website's address. That's why websites such as Brickshelf, Bricklink, Eurobricks, Mocpages and many others that focus on LEGO do not have "lego" anywhere in their addresses. You can expect LEGO asking you to take your website down fairly soon. Which should not come as a surprise, since it's a registered and trademarked brand name.

Here's a tip: you're not allowed to use the name of the LEGO company in your website's address. That's why websites such as Brickshelf, Bricklink, Eurobricks, Mocpages and many others that focus on LEGO do not have "lego" anywhere in their addresses. You can expect LEGO asking you to take your website down fairly soon. Which should not come as a surprise, since it's a registered and trademarked brand name.

Bugger. I just did the same thing :hmpf_bad: Good point, never even thought of that.

I honestly don't think disclaimer is going to make any difference. You're not part of the LEGO company, so you're not allowed to use the company's name. That's it.

I mean in addition to altering the name of the website... That was why I said that he should also consider it...

What about sites like this one? If it's just a blog it is ok then?

Not that I am calling anyone out as I think their blog is fantastic, but I was just using it as an example of something that has "Lego" in the title...

What if someone's last name was Lego and their website was called legodesigns.com and they specialized in building websites? Just from doing a simple search there seem to be 100's of websites out there that have Lego in their address. Many of which have nothing to do with Lego building blocks.

Edited by Meatman

I honestly don't think disclaimer is going to make any difference. You're not part of the LEGO company, so you're not allowed to use the company's name. That's it.

I suspect you're right. :sad: I had already added a disclaimer out of politeness/common sense but never considered that using it in the web address might be a bigger bad.

I chose "Good With Lego" because my initals are GWL. All ideas for replacement names are greatfully accepted!

Good With Littlebitsofplasticconstructiontoythatarentknexormegablox ?

What if someone's last name was Lego and their website was called legodesigns.com and they specialized in building websites?

Then you can always prove it in the court of law. For most of us, however, using the LEGO name is a slippery and risky business. It's simply an illegal thing to do, although not a major crime obviously :) and the websites you mentioned using the name illegally are probably created by spammers and have short life expectancy. There is that thing called "cease and desist order" that legal owners of the LEGO brand can pull pretty much whenever they feel like.

As for replacement names, it seems that "brick" is commonly accepted. Hence the Bricklink, Brickshelf, Bricks in my Pocket, TechnicBRICKs and so on.

Edited by Sariel

Gotcha Sariel. :classic: Thanks for the input. I was always a little confused as to why some people were using Lego in their addresses and others were not. I kind of figured that it wasn't quite Legal to do.

Then you can always prove it in the court of law. For most of us, however, using the LEGO name is a slippery and risky business. It's simply an illegal thing to do, although not a major crime obviously :) and the websites you mentioned using the name illegally are probably created by spammers and have short life expectancy. There is that thing called "cease and desist order" that legal owners of the LEGO brand can pull pretty much whenever they feel like.

As for replacement names, it seems that "brick" is commonly accepted. Hence the Bricklink, Brickshelf, Bricks in my Pocket, TechnicBRICKs and so on.

Bricktechniccreations.com , sounds good :hmpf:

I'll look for another name, and beg my hostingprovider for another domain name.

Is it possible to create a site called blegotechniccreations.com

or do you get problems with lego too this way?

Is it possible to create a site called blegotechniccreations.com

or do you get problems with lego too this way?

I see "lego technic" used in there, you don't? I'm afraid LEGO employs real breathing lawyers with actual brains, you know.

Edited by Sariel

Maybe it should be called "ArjanofskiBricks", and be done with it.

Why not just techniccreations.com? That doesn't seem to be a problem (e.g. TechnicBRICKS)

In no way doubting what Sariel said but here's the official line:

Lego's Fair Play Policy

There's an entire section on "How LEGO® Enthusiasts May Refer to LEGO Products on the Internet" which includes "The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address"

If you are really interested in having the word "Lego" in your website, host your site in some Asian countries. Don't think Lego lawyers will chase you there. :classic:

If you are really interested in having the word "Lego" in your website, host your site in some Asian countries. Don't think Lego lawyers will chase you there. :classic:

I've already got myself a contract for 1 year here in the netherlands. So if I choose a hosting provider in asia, i'll lose the 6 euros I paid to keep my site online.