Sign in to follow this  
Mirandir

MOC: Watertower

Finally, after 3 years in the making my watertower MOC is finnished. It's based on an old watertower that located near the railroad in the town where I live. It was built in 1911 and was used to keep water for the station's waterhorses. Pictures on both exterior and the interior of the original tower can be found here.

And now pictures of the MOC. There's also a few more pictures here

5905251667_e1b43860be.jpg5905252999_19a1c2f18f.jpg5905253573_deb5b237da.jpg5905250311_621fbc1eb1.jpg5905806626_0ae62986e0.jpg5905252283_bb5ca3ea98.jpg

The exterior. Unfortunatly the windows used on the second floor isn't available in either sand green (preferable) or reddish brown. So they've dictated the white windows and door. :( I have been thinking about using stickers on trans clear panels instead but I haven't had the time or money to actualy go through with that. :/ I guess white works but sand green would have been so much nicer and is real close to the original color...

5905255791_447cd64a2d.jpg

Here's a closer look on the third floor windows. The have the same arches above them as all oter windows as well as the fron door has. There's also a larger decorative arc above the windows.

5905253945_c9d58da85f.jpg

Underneath the roof the trusses are sticking out with decorative ends. The original has 6 trusses but it wasn't doable in this scale so I had to bring the number down to four. :/

5905255085_e5463dcc72.jpg

A piece of the southern roof can be taken of. Revealing a small platform from which the hatch in the nothern side of the roof can be accessed.

5905256847_238c55a978.jpg

5905812226_54321e13a8.jpg

5905811852_d3656207e6.jpg

A big watertank takes up most of the third floor. The tank is divided into two compartments. Each being fed water through separate pipes.

5905813072_80800476dc.jpg

This is a ventilation from the office/lab on the second floor.

5905813236_d35959d00b.jpg

tools...

5905812896_20046ddb21.jpg

Trapdoor leading down to second floor. And speaking of the second floor...

5905813404_ccbeaa679f.jpg

... here it is.

5905259745_a77d7578dd.jpg

This pipe leads the water from the tank above to the waterhorses on the railyard.

5905814936_57c099d817.jpg

The alcony on floor two. The small grey pipe is the chimney from the heater on ground floor. The left white pipe is watersupply for one of the compartments in the tank above. The other white piper is sevege.

5905814642_6191faeda4.jpg

5905814114_bcc5fbab3b.jpg

Besides the balcony there is this small office/lab. Amongst other things it was used to recharge batteries for the train lanterns. A dangerous task as the process could cause explosive gasses. And the room is poorly ventilated.

Also notice that the windows are located almost at the height of the floor.

5905816846_b65f77b3e4.jpg

This is the staircase between ground floor and second floor. It's sticking up quite a bit and has a habit of being bumped loos as one puts on the second floor module. I was trying to get it splitable but couldn't come up with a workable solution so it'll probably stay the way it is now.

5905816486_ac4de76675.jpg

The pump that is used to bring water to the tower is electric and is driven by athe red generator. The generator is in it's turn driven by a hot bulb engine.

5905816026_6d301332be.jpg

A heater for hot water.

5905261293_1cb818e8ee.jpg

5905817654_fd5a6aa645.jpg

Besides the engine room with the hot bulb engine driven generator and heater there's this bath room on the ground floor. It was used by the railroad employees to clean themselves. This was before the breakthrough of showers.

Also I just have to mention that the dark red tiling on the bathroom floor is generously sponsored by Eurobricks own ambassador Copmike.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Now it's just a question of where to put it while I build the old train station to acompany it... Since the station is "just" 6 times as big I guess it'll just take me the next 18 years... :tongue:

Wow! This is a great MOC! Kudos to you! :thumbup:

I really like the color scheme!

Any pics of the water tower by a train station or railroad?

Wow! This is a great MOC! Kudos to you! :thumbup:

I really like the color scheme!

Thanks.

Any pics of the water tower by a train station or railroad?

No not yet as I don't own any train stuff yet. Not even a single train track piece... :wacko:

And now pictures of the MOC. There's also a few more pictures

Hi Mirandir,

WOW!

Your MOC is wonderful to look at from the outside; just great.

BUT: The interior is like "falling in love". Nobody builds such a structure without "hidden" secrets. Three years? I can see that. It takes years to come up with this detailing - mostly on the inside. The outer appearance is just beautiful, inviting to explore.

Wonderful. I like your MOC very much. It says: Look inside! And when you look ...

Congratulations!

Regards,

Thorsten

The English language does not have the words I need to convey what I think of this model. But I think I'll start with the least compliment I can give, I would like to nominate your model for greatest creation I've ever seen. Well done, your Water tower is amazing. I only hope you like mine, though it is from a different era.

Again, I can't imagine the hours spent and thanks for sharing this with us, a most enjoyable view indeed, nice picture skills too eh default_satisfied.gif

If I'm not completely mistaken, I think I've seen some WIP pictures of this, and those were nice, but this is mind-blowing. Wonderful details, and yes, the exterior is nice, but the interior is fantastic. Great work, this will stand out in any layout.

Awe-inspiring. Truly!

The way you describe it makes it sound as if it is from a real structure. Any photos or links of that? EDIT: Sorry, missed your link to that.

The outside was very nice but when you went floor by floor I was ... FLOORED!

The details give it so much character!

Edited by Pingles

While the red structure is really impressive, the interior details really add to the already nice design. When I first opened this topic, I was envisioning a Western/Wild West wooden water tower, but this is a Watertower House, and something that I'm not familiar with. Really interesting build/design. Nice job Mirandir and I really like the roof. :thumbup:

Absolutely stunning!! Great work!! Now this is the type of rail structure I would like Lego to release.

AWESOME job there 'Mirandir', the outside very realistic and interior.....like perfect man, perfect ! :excited:

Brick On 'Mirandir' ! :classic:

Really great! :thumbup: All those nice details...

Even the arches above the windows look better than I'd have expected with all those gaps.

Awesome water tower 'Mirandir'. This thing is huge! Very unique idea using minifig legs as detail on the roof joists. I love the detailed work on the interior especially the guy in the tub! Excellent MOC :classic:

Uploaded two new pictures to my flickr.

5912775587_4e98271dd4.jpg

The first is a topdown view over the ground floor.

5913338112_ce3dccfa6e.jpg

The other one is this view of the second floor looking down onto the ground floor.

I've to bump this up to the top, because this MOC is amazing! *oh2*

This is simply wonderful. There's nothing I like better than a perfect-made modular building! :thumbup:

It looks like the original, and this kind of old architecture is lovely! :blush:

The internal details are incredible ...I'm speechless! :wub:

I hope you have a great layout for this masterpiece! :wink:

Thanks for sharing! :sweet:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts