kyphur

Just made the plunge into LEGO Trains!

I'll admit that I've been thinking about it for a while.

I'm a Star Wars Collector who never really felt comfortable sharing my collection with the kids, what a waste right?

Well the girls are too old now but the guys are 3 & 6 so they're at just the right age and both interested in trains.

So I took advantage of TRU's Buy 1 Get 1 1/2 off sale and grabbed 2 each of 7939 Cargo Train, 7938 Passenger Train & 7636 Level Crossing.

I built both of the passenger train's engines but left the PF parts out of one and replaced the clear "headlights" with red ones so it's the tail car now. Using the parts from the two original tail cars (and 8 parts from my spares inventory) I built a 3 passenger car for my train.

The cargo train has to fully powered engines, both are on the same frequency/channel so one remote dial controls them.

5639641765_80e5593444_z.jpg

I know my layout is very simplistic but I think it's an okay start. Now I just need to get my hands on a ton of straight track, this train newbie has already found a reason to hate the flex track (other than how ugly it looks), why can't it stay straight when used as straight track?

I think I want to add some Box Cars to my cargo train and of course the Maersk Train will be added within a few weeks (I have the PF components from my second Passenger Train just waiting to power that engine)!

Edited by kyphur

Welcome aboard, khypur.

That's an excellent way to get started. I did a similar thing when I got into Lego trains with the earlier RC system.

You get plenty of track, trains and wagons to be able to create some nice layouts and play opportunities from the beginning. Those extra straights from the level crossing sets come in handy.

One thing I suggest you try is putting two motors on the front cargo engine and dropping the "pusher" at the back. I use a helper at the back sometimes too for really long cargo trains but I've found recently that the dual-motor at the front just makes for a much stronger engine than two separate locos.

For my passenger trains, I still use a motorised loco front and back as this is a common in real life configuration.

Enjoy your trains.

:classic: :classic:

One thing I suggest you try is putting two motors on the front cargo engine and dropping the "pusher" at the back. I use a helper at the back sometimes too for really long cargo trains but I've found recently that the dual-motor at the front just makes for a much stronger engine than two separate locos.

I was thinking about either doubling-up the motors in the engine or moving the second engine to the front so they're both pulling. I guess the double-up idea would drop the weight of one of the battery boxes. I do like to look of a second engine though so maybe I'll just run them both at the front for a few days and see how I like it. Of course keeping PF in the second cargo engine gives me one more train to run if I ever want to split them up.

For my passenger trains, I still use a motorised loco front and back as this is a common in real life configuration.

Yep, that's why I don't have the half-breed pulling up the rear on my passenger train. It's the second "real" engine just without the power functions stuff, I could convert it in less that a couple of minutes if I ever want to return power to it though.

Thanks for the glad tidings...

Yeah, double heading with two locos is fine too. Then you have a second loco for shunting and a second train anyway.

Leaving the rear of the passenger train as a dummy gives you spare PF bits to play with too.

Keep your eye out for some train stations next time they have one of those great 2 for 1 sales.

"half-breed"

-laugh-

I got the last two RC passenger trains in town to avoid that stunted beast on my train as well.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Now don't forget to MOC/scratch-build some railway structures like a train shed and cargo platform.

The more train people the better I say ! :laugh:

K.O.B. 'kyphur' ! :grin:

Keep your eye out for some train stations next time they have one of those great 2 for 1 sales.

"half-breed"

-laugh-

I got the last two RC passenger trains in town to avoid that stunted beast on my train as well.

I really don't like what they're calling a Train Station (and charging $55 for) right now. I'm thinking of building something more classic, like they've redone all of the local Metra Stations around here and I really like to old Lego Engine House so I'll probably be buying some parts from BrickLink to build me one of them.

Now don't forget to MOC/scratch-build some railway structures like a train shed and cargo platform.

Structures are coming after I get some tables set-up and base plates down... Definitely want a Freight Yard and stations for the people to get on/off the passenger line.

I also started like this, only with the emerald night mids in my LEGO SW staff. Now I have more track than bricks ^^.

If your passenger train can cope with the added load without any problems or / and it performs to your satisfaction, just let it be, but I find it convenient to have the rear engine motorized too, just add some 9V cables to get the polarity reversed and presto, of you go.

Also putting the second cargo loco at the front will look better.

2011-04-05%2008.49.28.jpg

Welcome to the obsession kyphur....it never stops......ever. :laugh:

Welcome to the obsession kyphur....it never stops......ever. :laugh:

At least not until the batteries go flat!!!

Just don't tel my wife that the Trains could get worse that the Star Wars Collection is/was...

Welcome to the Lego train hobby! This is the way it starts BTW. Pretty soon you'll have all the currently offered trains and start looking longingly at the vintage sets. Before you know it you'll have the RC trains, both Santa Fe sets and the Metroliner. This leads to the My Own Train series and various add-ons like stations, freight depots and rolling stock MOC's. It's all a blast!

I recommend you take the PF gear out of the passenger trains and get the Emerald Night before it's too late. PF the Emerald and you'll be blown away by it's beauty. The passenger train on a depot siding still looks great even if unpowered.

Again welcome to the Lego train obsession

...this train newbie has already found a reason to hate the flex track (other than how ugly it looks), why can't it stay straight when used as straight track?

This also-newbie has a suggestion: make ballasted track (check out this Railbricks page). If you build up the ground under the train you will be able to fix the flex-track (and other track) more firmly in place and add nice detail. Train around my neck of the woods are almost always on a bit of an embankment or at least a bit of a rise from the surrounding ground.

Welcome to the Lego train hobby! This is the way it starts BTW. Pretty soon you'll have all the currently offered trains and start looking longingly at the vintage sets. Before you know it you'll have the RC trains, both Santa Fe sets and the Metroliner. This leads to the My Own Train series and various add-ons like stations, freight depots and rolling stock MOC's. It's all a blast!

I recommend you take the PF gear out of the passenger trains and get the Emerald Night before it's too late. PF the Emerald and you'll be blown away by it's beauty. The passenger train on a depot siding still looks great even if unpowered.

Again welcome to the Lego train obsession

I already have an extra set of PF gear from the second Passenger Train just waiting for my first unpowered engine. Just not sure if I'll get the Emerald Night or Maersk first. I'm leaning towards Freight Trains at the moment but I understand Emerald Night's time may be drawing to a close.

I already have the Caboose from the My Trains Line and have been looking at the other cars in the series. I'm thinking of selling my 10132 9v Motorized Hogwart's Express in favor of getting some more PF gear and another Engine.

This also-newbie has a suggestion: make ballasted track (check out this Railbricks page). If you build up the ground under the train you will be able to fix the flex-track (and other track) more firmly in place and add nice detail. Train around my neck of the woods are almost always on a bit of an embankment or at least a bit of a rise from the surrounding ground.

I saw that before, when I move to baseplates on tables I'll be doing that.

At the moment, lego track is expensive ($20 for 8 straight plus some flex track), but apart from that, the current lego train selection is very good, especially Emerald Night, Maersk, and the cargo train. Many vintage sets have become expensive, so if I were you, I'd simply buy the new train sets, that's more cost effective. One exception I'd make is the hobby train box. There are 30 models (you can download the instructions) for the hobby train box; that's a great way to learn about building trains.

I warn you! be careful! lego trains can be more addictive than anything else, including sw!

when I was a kid, I had almost all the 12v train sets, then dark ages came! thanks to my passion for sw movies, lego sw sets gave me a hand to come out of that dark pit, but when the emerald came to life, I felt the urge to start to collect trains and build mocs.

now for me it's too late... I'm a train addicted, and even if I don't have the space yet, I'm already planning my 4.20x4.20mt layout.

good luck!

if you don't want to buy all those expensive vintage sets, you can check the train forum, there you can find many mocs and some (mine also) with ldd instructions: I made some santa fe like wagons that can be made using available bricks, without buying the over-than-100usd ones.

have a nice lego train day

mrBlue

edit: spelling check

Edited by mrblue

Thanks for warm welcome & kind guidance...

In trading my almost complete Star Wars Collection I've already secured 2 Maersk Trains, 2 Emerald Nights and a Super Chief!

I've also downloaded a lot of instructions and will be getting the Hobby Box Train Set for sure.

:laugh: looks like someone really caught the bug :D

well not to be batting for enlighten brick at all, but all i can say is if you need a heap of straights, try the enlighten knockoffs, you know somewhere out of sight would be a rather cheap way to boost length while only paying about $10 for a box.

Edited by mikka says

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. I keep thinking I'd like to get one train, especially since I saw the first pictures of the Maersk train - but that stuff looks totally addictive, and there's no cheap way to get into it, with every train running over $100 (not even including PF). Maybe someday I'll win the lottery. Until then, I get my vicarious train thrills by looking at posts like yours.

Enjoy your new obsession addiction pastime!

well not to be batting for enlighten brick at all, but all i can say is if you need a heap of straights, try the enlighten knockoffs, you know somewhere out of sight would be a rather cheap way to boost length while only paying about $10 for a box.

I was considering that but Enlighten is officially labeled as a counterfeit brand in the US by Customs so it can't be legally sold here. All of the Chinese Sellers on eBay want at least $17 per box of the track. I'm better off just paying the extra $3 and having the real thing.

If I could get my hands on some cheap EN track I'd probably cut some of it to make 90 degree crossings.

You're one step ahead of me. I've started collecting the trains, own a bit of track but have not set up a layout yet. I have a two year old who loves the Duplo trains (I went bonkers and bought so much track...) but she is not quite ready to hold a regular Lego train without it crumbling in her hands.

I can't wait until she's old enough to enjoy the trains as much as I do.

I was considering that but Enlighten is officially labeled as a counterfeit brand in the US by Customs so it can't be legally sold here. All of the Chinese Sellers on eBay want at least $17 per box of the track. I'm better off just paying the extra $3 and having the real thing.

Instead of Enlighten track, I think you're much better off buying ME track.

http://www.me-models.com/store/index.php

This ME track is attractive for several reasons: Different track lengths (1/2, 1, 2, and they're planning to come out with 4 track length straights, the latter being the most economical option for straight track) and they also plan to bring out curves with a larger radius.

If I didn't already have a large collection of 9V track, I'd probably sell my 9V and RC track, and buy ME only because it doesn't seem to cost more than RC track, has more options (larger radius curves) and can also run 9V trains.

This is a nice start! :thumbup:

I like the words: "Now I just need to get my hands on a ton of straight track" :laugh:

You will need also same level crossing more and other stuff like a station ...but, I repeat: "this is a nice start!" :wink:

Keep on!

This is a nice start! :thumbup:

I like the words: "Now I just need to get my hands on a ton of straight track" :laugh:

You will need also same level crossing more and other stuff like a station ...but, I repeat: "this is a nice start!" :wink:

Keep on!

ME Track is getting serious consideration but I wish they had crossovers & switches.

I have a couple of level crossings and the parts to build a couple more using flex track (Like I did here)

I've got a deal for the Train Engine Shed set and am close to deals for sets like the Train Hobby Box and Metroliner.

I haven't decided what to do with the 9 volt stuff I end-up with in the process. My plan is to convert most of it to PF, I guess I could just hold on to the 9 volt track, motors and accessories just in case the day comes to sell or trade them.

Edited by kyphur

ME Track is getting serious consideration but I wish they had crossovers & switches.

I haven't decided what to do with the 9 volt stuff I end-up with in the process. My plan is to convert most of it to PF, I guess I could just hold on to the 9 volt track, motors and accessories just in case the day comes to sell or trade them.

The 9V trains can run if you buy ME track, because the most expensive part of 9V track is the straight track, and with ME track you won't need to buy 9V straight.

9V switches usually sell for a reasonable price on eBay (at auction they often are around $15 a piece, sometimes less). Sometimes people will list them at a high price, but with patience you'll be able to get some at a decent price. A 9V cross track costs $20 on bricklink (I had several, but after the initial curiosity I never use them anymore. The reason is because I like running more than one train on the same loop, and with cross track it's just a matter of time before they crash).

Another option is of course to sell your 9V track and motors. You can get quite a lot of $ for them, and it means less stuff to store.

Edited by hoeij

I have seen the ME tracks and they are wonderful! but I'm not sure about the price... I mean are they cheaper than the lego ones? when they came out I'm sure that I checked the price and it was a bit high for my taste. I'm still considering to buy a box of enlighten to check their quality and how they get along with lego ones. I found each box at about 5/6€ and compared to the 19€ of lego, well they sound nice! and I also think that their brown color is more realistic, like the new ME.

grab that train shed as fast as you can! it's wonderful! unfortunately I have not been so lucky to find a good deal for that set, but thanks to bricklink, I bought the parts to build two of them, adapting the colors to the new ones (ie light gray and dark gray to light and dark bluish gray).

have a nice lego train day

mrBlue

edit: spell check

Edited by mrblue

Welcome, you are off to a great start, you are getting all the good train sets etc :grin:

What is the tally so far? Got any Sante fe Cars? BNSF and TTX trailer?

The Train Engine Shed is brilliant (but is very high priced) and the Metroliner! That is a classic and IMO the best passenger train to date, the details on the inside will surprise you for sure :thumbup:

I have to work on my Train collection more, there are too many themes and too little time :laugh: