Sign in to follow this  
KimT

Adventures

I've been looking for the great theme "Adventures" featuring Johnny Thunder - nut it's nowhere to be found in this forum, So I've picked up the ball and started this thread. I'll start by reviewing 7418 The Scorpion King's Palace and feel free to post reviews or discussions of sets in this thread. - I hope to be doing more reviews as I acquire more Adventure sets :oD

7418 Scorpion King's Palace

First a picture of the set from front and from rear:

scorpionpalacefull1.jpg

scorpionpalacefull2.jpg

As You can see - there isn't "much" to the palace itself. It looks mostly like a scenery for a Spielberg movie ;) I miss the completement of the castle theme castles. The forces of Evil can just run around the palace and take it from behind.

One good thing is that there's NO STICKERS - everything is printed. For example:

blanket.jpg

The blanket covering one of the doorways and

top.jpg

The arches on the two towers - which is great (that's how to do it LEGO!)

The set holds FIVE minifigs.

Dr. Evil (can't remember his theme name >:( )

evilknievel.jpg

Two Indian palace guards - one has the BLACK turban - which is cool (Put down the WMD :oD )

indian2.jpg

indian1.jpg

The set holds two traps. A scorpion holding a treasure chest - and there's no way to remove the chest without a BIG rock tumbling after You - Indiana Jones style *wub*

scorpiontrap1.jpg

scorpiontrap2.jpg

And then there's the trap door securing the Golden Shield (Child??)

goldenshield1.jpg

and activated:

goldenshield2.jpg

Finally the set contain a board game for 1-2 players. It looks OK, but why only 1 or 2 players - not good enough LEGO. It should be possible to play as a family = 4 players.

The traps allow great possibilites for hours and hours of fun. The set combines easily with other Adventures sets. So all in all the grades are given as follows:

Pieces: 8/10 Great mixture and there's a lot of usefull bricks.

Minifigures: 9/10 Those two Indians really spice it up - turbans and shields *y* *y* *y*

Playability: 8/10 The traps are funny - but the palace is "incomplete"

Originality: 8/10

Set Design: 7/10

Price: 5/10 Too high for what You get - The boardgame seems to add to the price

Overall: 8/10

KimT

Whoops - I forgot the elephant with Thunder and the Professor...Here it goes:

First a full picture:

elephant.jpg

It's great getting an elephant, but LEGO has done a poor job on the carriage:

carriage1.jpg

Look at how poorly the minifigs fit into the carriage *sick* Also the red top is so damn close to the figs that it's hard fitting them in without breaking it. Also the carriage falls off easily and the red top can only be flipped downwards which is useless >:(

Now from the rear:

carriage3.jpg

Again You can see how clumisly the figs are seated. And how poorly the carriage was designed. The holder for the backpack also comes off easily since it isn't attached to anything. To the right is a shovel holder which is also poorly done. The elephant carriage needs to be modified |-/

I'll rate it as a 5/10 - but only because I like the elephant fig ;)

KimT

great review kim!

i know quite a few larger sets of the adventures that are a lot better than this one...

i'll give it a 5/10 for the nice colors and minifig heads, but it's not particularly brilliant, the elephant is almost playmobil! however, the set would be nice if you were to build a large zoo or something, well, minus the ball, that is...

YES I CAN POST IT FINALLY WORKS!!!!!!!! :oD :oD :oD

*cough* excuse me... anyways, great review Kim! I actually have 2 of these and they're alright.

aha viking you had that same problem too where it ALWAYS asked you to log back in? Boy was I getting mad!

its all good now

aha viking you had that same problem too where it ALWAYS asked you to log back in? Boy was I getting mad!

its all good now

so you guys didn't read the topic tt posted last night? |-/

Yay Adventurers!!

Adventurers is among my favourite themes (more than Star Wars, more than Town, more than KK, more than almost anything other than Classic Castle or Technic).

This is not so much because the sets are so excellent (although some are), but because it has by far the most play value, vignette value, fun value of any of the themes. This is where I spent 90% of my Lego play time with my kids.

Frankly, I didn't like the Scorpion Palace as a set. Too many big pieces.

The Emperor's Fortress, the big mama of the Orient Expedition collection, however, is one of the best Lego sets of the past few years. I will try to put a review of it up over the holidays (the only reason why not is that it sits in my work office, and I don't want to bring it home).

There is an Adventurers' web site (http://www.adventurers.dk) with regular set reviews. Sadly only three people post there regularly. Everyone - feel free to give it a visit.

Even more sadly, though, is that Lego seems to have forgotten about Johnny Thunder and his mates. I keep hoping 2006 will bring a revival..... Adventurers Western theme would be great, cost effective, and likely popular.

Cheers.

Gyl

The Emperor's Fortress, the big mama of the Orient Expedition collection, however, is one of the best Lego sets of the past few years. I will try to put a review of it up over the holidays (the only reason why not is that it sits in my work office, and I don't want to bring it home).

By all means - please do - :oD

KimT