Doctor Octoroc

LEGO Architecture "World's Tallest" Custom Series

I'm working on my own series of LEGO Architecture themed builds, based on the tallest buildings in the world. The ongoing goal is to build every skyscraper in the world, all to scale with one another. Starting with the tallest and most famous structures and including additional buildings as the construction on the actual skyscrapers is completed, there isn't really any end to the project since they keep putting up new ones every year, but I'm getting a head start on all the currently built ones around the globe. Along with each build, I'm putting together instructions and creating cover art and hope to eventually make them all available so others can build their own.

Obviously, the means I'll be building some models already included in the Architecture line, for which I try my best to do my own take - but often times, they nailed it in the official series so I took some cues from their models (Willis Tower, Empire State Building & One World Trade Center, for example). The main changes to models like these is in the scale since my custom series isn't the same scale as theirs - although very similar.

below are all of the cover art images for the models I've finished thus far, done in the Architecture style of course. I'd love to get some feedback on the designs and suggestions for what to do next!

24160250590_c1dac3c106_z.jpg24429645386_276c333279_z.jpg24373396881_d486bdaafd_z.jpg

23829057883_e9c282389c_z.jpg24455862595_ca94d2e822_z.jpg23829056153_cefcfc92ce_z.jpg

23829053923_937cd37ef0_z.jpg24347551672_97746c66eb_z.jpg24352784522_14030af998_z.jpg

23834292503_fb72f6035e_z.jpg24208117400_f6ebfd0eed_z.jpg23864303563_99b2657d47_z.jpg

24195563190_9ec133a80f_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

This is awesome!

I love skyscrapers.

I'm asking for your permission.

May I build one or two of these.

Jin Mao tower and U.S. Bank tower are the 2 that stand out the most. Taipai 101 is also a possibility.

I have a few towers custom built.

World Trade Center (1973-2001)

Cn tower

Petronas towers

Citi group tower

Prudential tower

Torre Bankia

But they're not in scale to each other.

I love this idea! Great start!

Thanks! I mean, it's basically what LEGO is already doing but there are limits to the feasibility of certain buildings since some wouldn't sell as well as those they've already put out. But that's why there are AFOL's in this world :-)

This is awesome!

I love skyscrapers.

I'm asking for your permission.

May I build one or two of these.

Jin Mao tower and U.S. Bank tower are the 2 that stand out the most. Taipai 101 is also a possibility.

I have a few towers custom built.

World Trade Center (1973-2001)

Cn tower

Petronas towers

Citi group tower

Prudential tower

Torre Bankia

But they're not in scale to each other.

Eventually I'll be making select instructions available, I'm just working on churning them out right now for the buildings I've already designed. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet but I may put together some sort of KS campaign to raise the funds to build my own complete set while offering the complete package of instructions and some other goodies as rewards, including physical instruction booklets and full kits for higher levels.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

steve, do you have photos of your CN tower anywhere?

these look good, cant wait to see what you come up with :) the petronas especially looks like an interesting build.

steve, do you have photos of your CN tower anywhere?

these look good, cant wait to see what you come up with :) the petronas especially looks like an interesting build.

See below :sweet:

Sensational concept, and a brilliant start. Will watch with enthusiasm :)

Thank you kindly!

Two more sets of instructions and covers finished - the CN Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center!

24411470352_d63eb9bd3b_z.jpg 23892946933_bb382d7e02_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

And one more for you guys, the tallest one yet - Shanghai tower. Also the most pieces and number of pages for the instructions! The build is actually pretty simple, a lot of repetition. For anyone that's built the White House, you know what I'm talking about...

24424145432_6a749d5942_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Awesome. Once you make the instructions available, it would be quite the pilgrimage to work through them all. How many more have you conceived of?

Awesome. Once you make the instructions available, it would be quite the pilgrimage to work through them all. How many more have you conceived of?

Yeah, my plan is to order all of the pieces at once from Brick Link along with extras so I have everything I need to build all of them. I may also make some changes in construction along the way and want to change the digital builds and instructions to reflect them.

As of now, aside from all the covers I've already posted, I have three more models completed and awaiting the MLCad/LPub treatment - Tokyo Sky Tree, Makka Royal Clock Tower Hotel (this one's a beast lol) and my own take on the Burj Khalifa. That one I'm especially proud of as I made numerous previous attempts to improve upon LEGO's design and finally came up with something I liked better :classic:

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Shanghai tower looks great.

Tokyo sky tree and Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel really interested to see both.

Keep this up.

This is great work.

I love the CN Tower build! That building has significance in my life, so it's nice to see it well represented.

I love the CN Tower build! That building has significance in my life, so it's nice to see it well represented.

Thanks! I took a few cues from some other builds but many of them used stacked plates for the three angled portions around the outside so I wanted to to a cleaner look for my build.

Shanghai tower looks great.

Tokyo sky tree and Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel really interested to see both.

Keep this up.

This is great work.

Speak and you shall receive! Tokyo Sky Tree is done.

24518587806_70f44a0b00_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Thanks! I took a few cues from some other builds but many of them used stacked plated for the thr

Speak and you shall receive! Tokyo Sky Tree is done.

24518587806_b2c4182656_z.jpg

I really like that At it's small scale.

I was wondering how you were going to do the "web "

But I like how you use 6 sides

Keep these up !

I really like that At it's small scale.

I was wondering how you were going to do the "web "

But I like how you use 6 sides

Keep these up !

I certainly will!

I'm currently putting together the instructions for Makkah - 806 pieces, making it the largest piece count we'll probably see from any of these and probably around 90-100 pages of instructions, best guess.

Any suggestions on the next one from anyone once I finish up the last two sets of instructions for the one's I've already built?

This is an impressive effort and a serious collection. Great work, keep it up!

I'm excited to see versions built using real LEGO elements, too.

---Tom Alphin

Any suggestions on the next one from anyone once I finish up the last two sets of instructions for the one's I've already built?

Plenty

Burj al Arab

Transamerica pyramid

Trump tower (Chicago)

Bank of china

Orential pearl tower

30 st Mary axe

London shard

City of capitals (Moscow)

This is an impressive effort and a serious collection. Great work, keep it up!

I'm excited to see versions built using real LEGO elements, too.

---Tom Alphin

Thanks for the kind words, I'm also pretty anxious to get these built in real life - got too much on my plate right now to get to them just yet, that's why it's nice having digital versions to tide me over.

And I love your work as well, Tom. Micro builds are my favorite, they actually got me started into doing Architecture style at this scale - well, that and spending two years studying architecture lol.

Plenty

Burj al Arab

Transamerica pyramid

Trump tower (Chicago)

Bank of china

Orential pearl tower

30 st Mary axe

London shard

City of capitals (Moscow)

Nice, this'll be a good starting off point for round 2 haha. I was definitely already thinking about the Oriental Pearl Tower and Bank of China. London Shard will definitely be a challenge...I really hate letting studs show on my models.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Very nice work!

Are you going to build them with real bricks?

Any chance that you'll be making a tower from The Netherlands? :grin:

Very nice work!

Are you going to build them with real bricks?

Any chance that you'll be making a tower from The Netherlands? :grin:

That's the plan! I just have to gather some funds first. Can you link me to that one? I'm essentially working my way from tallest down to shortest since the idea is building all the tallest skyscrapers but if it fits the bill, certainly!

It took me a few days but I finally finished the instructions for Makkah. I think my graphics card has an incompatibility issue with LPub3d as it's constantly crashing :-/

24204023329_7e019a6189_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I know its not as big as all the others you have done but what about a MOC of the Home insurance building in chicago? Its considered the worlds first skyscraper and wihout that building none of the others you have done may not have existed. Good work tho i especially like the petronas towers

I know its not as big as all the others you have done but what about a MOC of the Home insurance building in chicago? Its considered the worlds first skyscraper and wihout that building none of the others you have done may not have existed. Good work tho i especially like the petronas towers

I'll definitely consider it, although at 180 feet, it's not very tall :blush: But considering the historical significance, I suppose an exception can be made.

On the topic of tall...

24214034899_e134369abd_z.jpg

In hind's sight, it's not quite as good as I thought it was when I first finished it...I was excited that I found a build style that was different from the official model but despite the improved base, the rest leaves a bit to be desired...I just wanted to steer clear from the ridiculous number of 1x1 cylinders.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Do you plan to make the Kingdom Tower based on their plans? Or is that for a later season upon completion? ;)

Do you plan to make the Kingdom Tower based on their plans? Or is that for a later season upon completion? ;)

I'm sticking with already built skyscrapers for the time being, if nothing else to make the task at hand seem less daunting haha. There are nearly a dozen new super and mega tall skyscrapers being built this year alone so I'll have my hands full once they start completing them. But I am excited to get to that one once it's officially complete!

And now that I've finished the last of the instructions for all currently completed digital models, it's time to start building more. I made one attempt at Burj al Arab but at the small scale (it would be the shortest one that I've made for this series yet) it's a real challenge to get the shape right without too much plate stepping or awkward joints. I'm trying to incorporate flexi-hoses into the build but since they only have factory lengths in all the digital builders and don't allow cutting the hose down as some official sets have done (Seattle Space Needle), it's hard to do so with complete accuracy. I may try my hand at another one for the time being and revisit at a later time...

Edited by Doctor Octoroc