1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

Today we are looking at Star Wars set 6205 V-Wing Fighter. This was the second set I bought after coming out of my dark ages of LEGO.

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: V-Wing Fighter

Set Number: 6205

Number of Pieces: 118 LEGO box, 118 Peeron, 118 Brickset, 114 Bricklink

Minifigs: 1

Price: $10 USD

Theme: Star Wars

Year Released: 2006

RESOURCES:

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickset

Flickr (high res pics available here)

THE REVIEW:

The Box: This box is a refreshing site compared to my last two reviews. Since I bought this in a retail store, it is still in great condition.

Front:

3929968387_dd826ff02c.jpg

All the basic info is there and I like the shot, it clearly shows the ship in action. I like the small vader mask in the top right corner as well as the silver for the Star Wars lettering.

Side:

3930750992_ac2a9df93f.jpg

This is what we are now used to. A full body shot of the minifig included and since there are so few figs, you then get a close up shot of him in his cockpit.

Back:

3930751190_0b7263de24.jpg

The back has a nice variety of images. Two shots showing features of the V-Wing, as well as two alternate models. I found it weird that they advertise the very set you purchased on the back of the box.

Instructions

Front:

3930751272_90584e6711.jpg

Same image as the box, and again in great condition since it was purchased new.

Back:

3930751366_7e09e2ddfe.jpg

Advertising as usual. This makes me miss the back of the older sets with Yoda looking at the LEGO site.

Random Page:

3930751498_d40f1604bc.jpg

Mid build with the V-wing, I specifically choose this page since it shows the R2 unit being hidden by some flaps. The R2 unit, although only the dome is in fact a standard Q7-series astromech droid from Industrial Automaton. Although "astromech droid" is the technically correct term, characters in the Star Wars movies tend to use the colloquial "astro-droid" for short.

Contents:

3929969093_ea71a090ea.jpg

118 pieces of LEGO Star Wars glory, that clone is yelling, put me together.

Printed Pieces:

3929969197_b5f9612bc9.jpg

I love printed pieces and I think most other do too, so I always try to highlight them. Sadly this is the only part of the R2 unit that we get. Hey at least there are no stickers!

Minifigs:

Front:

3930751644_37c6754e1b_o.jpg

The V-Wing clone pilot in all his glory. Alot of printing detail on this helmet makes it worthwhile.

Back:

3929969133_973c7b48b5_o.jpg

Good back printing, all good torsos have back printing :wink:

Helmet off

3929969169_a5d4bf4a44.jpg

One of the black faceless clones. Looks great with the helmet on, but not so much as an individual.

The V-Wing

Front:

3929969295_4be7e8a85b.jpg

For not having any smooth/rounded pieces at the front, this set is still good looking in my opinion. It's a bit blocky at the front, but then again it is still LEGO.

Back:

3930751884_d0ac1c06ed.jpg

Two little thrusters power this agile fighter. Your R2 unit is protected by secure durasteel flaps. Excellent.

Left Side:

3930751936_b105d01fbf.jpg

A fairly sleek fighter if I do say so. Dual blasters on either wing provide ample fire power for those nasty dogfights.

Right Side:

3929969485_a6596cb89d.jpg

What, am I looking through a mirror? No this is the right side, same as the left. Usually this is a given, but not in the world of Star Wars, plus who doesn't like alternate pictures.

Bottom:

3929969855_f474d0ca76.jpg

LEGO dropped the ball here in my opinion. Then again it is a Ten dollar set. No landing gear, just a few studs, this doesn't cut it in my eyes.

Alternate Bottom:

3930752414_1d886ee136.jpg

As you can see the studs almost look like I added them. I really do not like this landing gear. :sceptic:

Open Wings Front:

3929969553_ab408a8bc2.jpg

I added a few bricks to the landing gear to prop it up for the open wings shots. I purposely left the wings askew a bit to emphasize that they are completely movable on their axis and are not on click hinges.

Open Wings Back:

3929969635_2dd17f6ffc.jpg

The flaps over R2 are hinged so they do click into place but the actual wings can go until they hit bricks.

Open Wings left side:

3929969733_9b2322a3c6.jpg

Similar to by beginning shots, but it does show a different angle with the wings open.

Open Wings right rear:

3929969787_d0274f8f61.jpg

One last parting shot, R2 beeps goodbye.

3930751768_13c6f8c38e_o.jpg

The extra pieces are usually quite small in these cheaper sets, but worth noting.

Totals:

Design: 8/10 If the landing gear was different this would have scored higher with me. I do like the wings alot so I can't rate it too low.

Parts: 8/10 The R2 head is always a plus and I am partial to the Red pieces. Good parts for the set, but I don't know if it would be worth buying only for the parts.

Build: 7/10 This was about 5-10 mintues, I didn't really keep track, but like all LEGO it's fun. I have to complain that the canopy is not on a hinge and has to be completely removed to get your fighting clone out.

Minifig's: 6/10 I honestly don't really like these clones so I might be scoring a bit low, but I also went lower since you only get one.

Playability: 9/10 This would easily be a ten if their was functioning landing gear. Ships always score high in my book since they can be swooshed and you could run around your whole house with just one ship, if your imagination fuels you to do so.

Price: 10/10 The piece to dollar ratio is much better than some other sets. I think the higher piece count is due to the sole minifig you receive. Great deal though.

Totals: 48/60 A great set that I just had to buy since it was cheap. It does have some downfalls as noted about. The cockpit, the lack of landing gear, and only one minifig. The pieces are nice, and you do get an R2 head. If you didn't buy this new, I personally would not pay over retail for it.

Great review Big Cam and really good explanations for your veredict :thumbup:. You know this kind of sets and especially THIS one gives me some nostalgia of the old good times when TLC produced some great sets of REAL SHIPS at a cheap price. I really miss those days but hopefully 2010 line-up seems to make them return again :cry_happy: , just let´s hope the supposed "small" sets like the Freeco Bike don

Edited by darkrebellion

Ok, so to have something negative to say about your reviews :hmpf:

I really love when people makes some crazy pic(s) or do as a comic pic or such.

It always makes it fun to read the review. As mentioned before, your reviews really is done by the book.

But it would add some personality to it all. I know it can be hard to come up with sometimes.

But still I enjoy reading your reviews since they have a very high quality to it ;)

Ok, so to have something negative to say about your reviews :hmpf:

I really love when people makes some crazy pic(s) or do as a comic pic or such.

It always makes it fun to read the review. As mentioned before, your reviews really is done by the book.

But it would add some personality to it all. I know it can be hard to come up with sometimes.

But still I enjoy reading your reviews since they have a very high quality to it ;)

I greatly appreciate your feedback, good or back. You can't grow if you don't learn. I have to say I enjoy those types of things in reviews as well, but for me, I guess that's just not me. I like depicting the set the way the reader will get it. Nothing extra. In sets with a few minifigs I have tryed to add a little to the review, but I'm not the kind of guy to bring in other LEGO's tot he set to make a scene. I think I may try taking of Vig making as that would not really require me to mix my sets, which I am really against.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I'm happy you still like them.

Great review! :)

This set was one of my first Lego Star Wars sets (after the TIE interceptor from the same year, and the Episode III Grievous Wheelbike set with Obiwan). It's easily one of, if not my favorite Prequel trilogy ships, the CW Delta-7 being a close second. I almost wish they'd do more small fighters along this line, or even re-issue this one again. If Hasbro can do an "Imperial V-Wing", why can't Lego too?

Great review! :thumbup:

Good pics :thumbup:

Haha this was my second SW set, when I started collecting SW.

I love this set, and your review does it justice :sweet::thumbup:

Well done!

CommanderFox

This was my first SW set. I turned it into a MOC once, and wanted to make two. However, I couldn't find another cockpit. I purchased another one of these for the cockpit, but now I wish I had put the money towards an A-Wing fighter. :sad:

A nice little fighter but with a few flaws especially the landing gear and the wings.

thats why I made a Mod of this fighter:

3613817177_4b703889a0_m.jpg

(pic is link)

Good review, Big Cam :thumbup:

the Inventor

Nice review. You got some very nice angles to your photos that show the built set off quite well.

This looks like a tidy little set and I'm kicking myself for not picking it up from Kmart when I had the chance.

I find the cockpit canopy a little strange ... its the only part of the ship that don't look very sleek to me.

Really nice, descriptive photos and a great review Big Cam.

Great little set and at such a price worth multiple purchases. Can't say I agree with marking it down for only having one minifig; it's a single pilot starfighter and it only cost £7.99 - less than a battle pack. I understand that you don't like the clone pilot minifig though.

Like Dark Rebellion mentioned it harks from a time when LEGO produced lower priced canon sets. Great, but I think demand for authenticity means LEGO creating more detailed and (by proxy) bigger, expensive sets. The forthcoming releases may see a temporary change in that.

A nice little fighter but with a few flaws especially the landing gear and the wings.

thats why I made a Mod of this fighter:

3613817177_4b703889a0_m.jpg

(pic is link)

Good review, Big Cam :thumbup:

the Inventor

I like your rendition alot, It retains the basic shape and design but it's tweeked a little bit.

Nice review. You got some very nice angles to your photos that show the built set off quite well.

This looks like a tidy little set and I'm kicking myself for not picking it up from Kmart when I had the chance.

I find the cockpit canopy a little strange ... its the only part of the ship that don't look very sleek to me.

Hmm, I thought it was fine. It has a nice flow to me, but that's why we are different peole, different points of view. :classic:

Really nice, descriptive photos and a great review Big Cam.

Great little set and at such a price worth multiple purchases. Can't say I agree with marking it down for only having one minifig; it's a single pilot starfighter and it only cost £7.99 - less than a battle pack. I understand that you don't like the clone pilot minifig though.

Like Dark Rebellion mentioned it harks from a time when LEGO produced lower priced canon sets. Great, but I think demand for authenticity means LEGO creating more detailed and (by proxy) bigger, expensive sets. The forthcoming releases may see a temporary change in that.

I think my reasoning for being so harsh with the one minifigure is becasue in the US this set costs the same as a battle pack, but your down 3 figs. I think I am just so used to the ratio. 4 figs for $10 that it dampened my spirits a bit, AND I am actually coming around to the clone pilot, I actually wish I had a duplicate of this set.

Thanks for the comments, click my sig for more SW reviews, and expect more in the future!

Another wonderfully done review, Big Cam :thumbup::thumbup:

and nice mod, Inventor.

i bought this set a few years back, just for the helmet.

it's a shame the R4 droid doesnt have a body (because i never have gotten an R2D2) :hmpf:

Another wonderfully done review, Big Cam :thumbup::thumbup:

and nice mod, Inventor.

i bought this set a few years back, just for the helmet.

it's a shame the R4 droid doesnt have a body (because i never have gotten an R2D2) :hmpf:

Thank you, you know there are plenty SW sets still in production where you can get an R2 unit.

Yes. Yoda is cool on the back of the instructions. But i started collecting lego too late to see him in person on the back of the instruction booklet :cry_sad:

[ I have to complain that the cockpit cover (help me I can't thinkof the word) is not on a hinge and has to be completely removed to get your fighting clone out.

Canopy is the word you seek.

Canopy is the word you seek.

Ahh, yes, thanks. I'll edit my review right now :thumbup:

Nice review, Big Cam.

I like this set a lot. I've always been a fan of starfighters, especially the Star Wars versions. I too hate the landing gear, but I don't care enough to MOD the set.

It would have been really nice if those outer wings rotated for landing. But given the size of the set, that feature would have been tough to pull off.

Gee 'Big Cam' you were busy eh ? :wink:

Thanks for the review - not a bad looking fighter although I'm not really into ROTS - it's still a good design - sad about the pilot !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

To be honest, I don't the think the actual fighter, movie wise, was meant to have landing gear, since they were suppose to be the pre-TIE fighter, I would think that they would be stored like TIEs, in a berth and as such need no landing gear. And that it was other media and for toys that they were given landing gear.

Edited by Knightsword

To be honest, I don't the think the actual fighter, movie wise, was meant to have landing gear, since they were suppose to be the pre-TIE fighter, I would think that they would be stored like TIEs, in a berth and as such need no landing gear. And that it was other media and for toys that they were given landing gear.

If you watch the part near the end with Palatines' shuttle on Coursaunt you can see a V-Wing land behind the shuttle. And the wings rotate for those that thought the wings closed like a pair of scissors (like I did until I seen the part again).

For the set, I do wish the wings had more movie accurate function. Other wise I like the model it kind of reminds me of a Battle-Star Galactica Viper.

If you watch the part near the end with Palatines' shuttle on Coursaunt you can see a V-Wing land behind the shuttle. And the wings rotate for those that thought the wings closed like a pair of scissors (like I did until I seen the part again).

It is a dissapointment that the wings aren't movie accurate, but overally the fighter isn't that bad. :thumbup:

Thanks again for the Great review Cam!

CommanderFox

Gee 'Big Cam' you were busy eh ? :wink:

Thanks for the review - not a bad looking fighter although I'm not really into ROTS - it's still a good design - sad about the pilot !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Were is the key word, I've been slacking lately.

but then again it is still LEGO.

And I'm pretty sure it's going to be LEGO for a long time until evilrecyclers force us to turn them into plastic bottles :tongue: .