Sign in to follow this  
Horatio-Caine

LDraw to POV Ray Color Rendering Problem

Sorry to be a pain again, I fixed my last problem as I found a thread with the solution, but there's now another problem that I need some help on.

After fixing the color values by using notepad to modify the code by changing the srgb tag on each color to just rgb I managed to render my latest MOC (I've got to say I'm liking the potential I see here when using POV-Ray), however the main color of the model is black, however when rendered, it is a dark grey color, as you can see here.

05-StealthOriginalYellowScheme.png

I'm pretty stuck on what it might be that is causing this, no doubt it is something simple probably. Just so you know I am using POV-Ray 3.6. Perhaps upgrading to 3.7 will solve it however I'd like to try and find a solution with 3.6. If it helps as well I have the POV file I can send if someone is willing to render it and compare it to the point where the issue could be uncovered.

Many thanks for any help, really hope I can get this sorted as it looks so much more realistic so can't wait to see what it looks like on my past and future LDraw MOC's.

Edited by Horatio-Caine

I had this problem too, a long time ago. My brain is trying to remember what the problem/solution was, but I can't remember it :hmpf_bad:

I believe it had to do with fog, or background color or something like that that was too close and made the colors wrong. Or something like that, I can't remember :wall:

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep trying the odd little things, chances are as you said probably some setting when it is in LDView. The fog isn't on in LDView when I did it, although I'll fiddle around with the background color settings which you mentioned, as it sounds like something small like that might be the culprit here. Thanks again for your input.

Update: After some background color fiddling still no luck sadly.

Edited by Horatio-Caine

POV-Ray 3.6 is essentially "broken" when it comes to correct colour handling. I would very much recommend that you upgrade to 3.7, which has other benefits too.

Once you've done that, I would then go back and set all of the colour values in the "lg_color.inc" file back to SRGB. Your image should then appear as expected.

Alternatively -- and this is only a work-around, and not a long-term solution -- try entering the following near the beginning of your POV-Ray 3.6 file:

global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }

This should give you the colour values you're expecting.

Thanks for your help, I decided to take your advice and download 3.7.

Update, I have now sorted everything, thanks for your help!

Edited by Horatio-Caine