Bricks

[Review] 8039-Venator

Rate the set  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion on this set (not the review)

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

post-4655-1243610763.jpg

Greetings, LegoManiacs!

I've opened already a WIP topic for my review, but now I make this new topic by the advice of 'KimT'.

So I hope you'll enjoy this review and if you have any questions ask me please :classic:

Data:

Name: Venator-Class: Republic Attack Cruiser

Number: 8039

Pieces: 1170

Price: 139,99€

Released: 2009

Links: Brickset

-Box(front):

dsc_208913m0.jpg

-Box(rear):

dsc_2090x6oj.jpg

-Instructions:

dsc_209425wp.jpg

-Minifigure bodywork:

dsc_2099x1zd.jpg

-The outline of the Cruiser:

dsc_2100h0on.jpg

-The minifigures (front):

dsc_210128z2.jpg

-The minifigures (rear):

dsc_2107s2kv.jpg

-Close-up: Palpatine&Senate Guard:

dsc_2103n2cf.jpgdsc_2106v6fo.jpg

-The finished Venator:

dsc_2109k6qk.jpg

-From above:

dsc_2111d77m.jpg

-Frome the back:

dsc_211376bd.jpg

-From the front:

dsc_2118l2lm.jpg

-From the side:

dsc_2119d2qq.jpg

-You can open the front part of the deck:

dsc_2120b3kz.jpg

-And see the room of Chancellor Palpatine:

dsc_2121f5zo.jpg

-You can also open the airfoil of the ship:

dsc_2122s325.jpg

-And see the heavy cannon of the ship:

dsc_2127k65s.jpg

-The middle part have a nice bomber inside:

dsc_212885bq.jpg

-Close-up of the bomber:

dsc_2132r6xi.jpg

-The function is very nice. You must twirl the yellow sharps and the little bombs (to the right of the bomber) can fallen down:

dsc_213313h6.jpg

-The ship have also an handle, which we already know from the Dropship:

dsc_2135f1wk.jpg

-The little pilot-cabine is between the two ''towers'':

dsc_213747if.jpg

-You can open a little door at the rear site too...:

dsc_2138k0nl.jpg

-...and you can fetch a capsule:

dsc_2139l4zu.jpg

Overall:

This set is really nice. And you have more functions, which you didn't see at first blush.

Especially nice are two new minifigures. The 'Senate Guards' have nice helmets, which are really adapted to the movie-version.

The 'Palpatine' have this new nice tan-hairs and the same head as the 'Imperator', just in flesh.

The whol ship measures abput 45cm and is similar to the 'Star Destroyer' of 2006.

Marks:

Parts: 9/10 [some new really useful parts, like the new big tile:]

img_7362.jpg

Minifigures: 8/10 [The two really new figures have a great adapted CloneWars-style, bur for such a expensive set-five figures are to less]

The Build: 10/10 [No problems. Easy to understand]

Price: 6/10 [A bit too high for the quantum of parts and figures]

Overall: 9/10 Points

So I hoped that you liked it. And I'm sure some of you have already some questions left--so feel free to ask tem!

Regards 'Bricks'

Edited by KimT

Kids, don't do drugs or else you'll end up looking like Uncle Palpatine. :grin:

I agree aren't there stickers?

Orion Out :skull:

I agree aren't there stickers?

I don't know if these are the only stickers, but I'm pretty sure you can see them on the 6x6 tile pieces on the photo where Bricks shows off the Venator's hand-of-god handle. They're the two red semi-circles on a tan field. Those who are more well versed in Star Wars factions can tell you which faction the symbols represent.

Great review! Thanks for the excellent shot of Palpatine's private chambers. Kinda stinks he has to run from the front of the ship to the back of the ship to reach his escape pod :tongue:

I'll be adding this my collection. It's 2nd on my buy list after the Endor Bunker set.

Edited by bamaker

I really do not like this ship one bit. Well I like the minifigures and the 'cute' little gun turrets on the top of the ship but thats about it. It was however a pretty good review :thumbup:.

An awesome review and a very good set I like very much!

Did you already join the Reviewers Academy?

Good review :thumbup: I might buy this if I have some left over dough after the summer is over. The chancellor looks terrible, but then again he always looks that bad if not worse :tongue:

Edited by Broadside

9/10 for this model ? O_o

IMO, 3/10 or 4/10 is enough for this set. -_-'

Edited by Anio

Why does Palptine's office have a hole in the floor?

I presume some kind of star trek style oribital skydive is planned for the clones :wacko:

Edited by TheBrickHitHouse

Sorry to post for a second time so soon. I don't want to use the edit button since I have a question that I don't want to get missed because it's in an old post.

Bricks, on the official photo on the box & instruction manual the handle lays flush with the Venator's hull when it's not in use. I noticed in your photos where you display the front and side views of the ship that the handle sticks up a little bit. Does it have to be forced or locked into the flush position?

Edited by bamaker

9/10 for this model ? O_o

Hey.

This is my estimate.

Don't like...?

Use your time to make your own review and not on spending for stupid comments -_-

Why does Palptine's office have a hole in the floor?

It's the edge, where the airfoil from the side and the base come together.

So there is a little ''hole'' but just at the brink of the office.

Sorry to post for a second time so soon. I don't want to use the edit button since I have a question that I don't want to get missed because it's in an old post.

Bricks, on the official photo on the box & instruction manual the handle lays flush with the Venator's hull when it's not in use. I noticed in your photos where you display the front and side views of the ship that the handle sticks up a little bit. Does it have to be forced or locked into the flush position?

Thanks buddy!

I think I missed that point.

Yes of course it must be like it is at the photo from the box.

I've just noticed that've attached the ''Technice-parts'' a little bit wrong.

So you can use to hold the model and if you don't hold it, the boom normal lays flush.

Many thanks for that.

Regards 'Bricks'

Thanks Bricks, a very nice review, worth the wait. :thumbup:

I'll have to enjoy the reviews untill my sets arrive. :grin:

Great reveiw Bricks! this is one of my most anticipated sets of the summer! Ive got a couple of questions though.

the box is hidden in a secret room behind palps office, right? can you take a pic of it? unless its all techneic :hmpf_bad:

um could u also take a pic of the desk, behind the chair (wall) and the whole office empty? I may be asking for a lot so sorry about that.

All and all, great reveiw!

Keep it up, Bricks

Overall, I am not very impressed. It doesn't have nearly as much space as the Imperial Star Destroyer. Also, the figure count is pretty weak compared to the Star Destroyer. While it does have 2 new figures and one hard to find (the gunner), I still think a new Jedi could have been included.

I guess the main question is, is it stronger than the 6211 - ie, do bits keep dropping off if you move it around?

To be honest, this set looks like a bit of a mess to me. The added play features seem kind of ugly - little square bomb boxes or strange pilot access points - and don't feel as if they integrate very well into the set at all. At least the 6211 had a decent interior, where this seems to be more of a Technic frame in which play-boxes have been forcibly inserted.

The ridiculous price for the amount of minifigs is also well-documented. There's only 2 new ones. They could have at least thrown in some extra Senate guards. The Indy Ambush in Cairo set has four completely new figs in a US $11 set so I don't buy arguments that these things are so incredibly expensive that they throw out the production cost so enormously.

On the upside, I love Palpy's desk! :wub:

Great review of this set Bricks!

I like this set very much since it is first of all from the real movies.

That it then gets a lot of "air" in CW is also good.

That the whole design is puched together is very negative for this model.

But if they where to build it in better size, it would have cost so much more.

I still like it, so don´t get me wrong.

Think this is one set that will grow on you when you build it, and fumbles around with it a bit afterwards.

i like this set, but its not as good as the minifig ISD. great review but the pics could be bigger IMO

Hey.

This is my estimate.

Don't like...?

Use your time to make your own review and not on spending for stupid comments -_-

9/10 is for an awesome set.

If this model get 9/10, most of the other sets get 10/10.

So, this model is really ugly. A Venator really doesn't look like this. Moreover, it uses stickers and no printed parts.

Design : 2/10

The minifig are quite good (2 Clones, 2 Guards, Palaptine), even if I don't really like how CW minifig are designed.

Minifig : 7/10

The parts are good. But definitely not amazing. If you want many tile 6x6, call Lego Direct. One of these tile costs about 0,5€. So, you don't need to buy this ugly model to get this new tile.

Parts : 6/10

The model is over-priced. IMO, it is not very attractive.

Price : 5/10

The model has a good playability. May be too much. That is the reason why it is so ugly.

Playability : 7/10

Overall : 4/10.

This model is really too expensive, and too ugly (the ulgiest SW model ever ?).

9/10 is a mark for an awesome model. And this Lego is not awesome.

IMO, the Classic SW model are much more interesting. The battle of Endor can get 8 or 9/10 for example.

Nevertheless, your review is well written and show everything we have to see.

But giving a good mark to all the reviewed model strikes me (I always see, 8/10, 9/10, 10/10 what for ?).

If a model is bad, I think it is important to say it, and so, to give a bad mark.

Edited by Anio

I actually like this set. I love the new palpatine and senate commandos. I don't know why, but I like it more that the ISD... I may be hated for it, but I find this set to be a great buy... :thumbup:

9/10 is for an awesome set.

If this model get 9/10, most of the other sets get 10/10.

So, this model is really ugly. A Venator really doesn't look like this. Moreover, it uses stickers and no printed parts.

Design : 2/10

The minifig are quite good (2 Clones, 2 Guards, Palaptine), even if I don't really like how CW minifig are designed.

Minifig : 7/10

The parts are good. But definitely not amazing. If you want many tile 6x6, call Lego Direct. One of these tile costs about 0,5€. So, you don't need to buy this ugly model to get this new tile.

Parts : 6/10

The model is over-priced. IMO, it is not very attractive.

Price : 5/10

The model has a good playability. May be too much. That is the reason why it is so ugly.

Playability : 7/10

Overall : 4/10.

This model is really too expensive, and too ugly (the ulgiest SW model ever ?).

9/10 is a mark for an awesome model. And this Lego is not awesome.

IMO, the Classic SW model are much more interesting. The battle of Endor can get 8 or 9/10 for example.

Nevertheless, your review is well written and show everything we have to see.

But giving a good mark to all the reviewed model strikes me (I always see, 8/10, 9/10, 10/10 what for ?).

If a model is bad, I think it is important to say it, and so, to give a bad mark.

Hey Anio, I know your new here, but when bricks said "make your own reveiw" he meant in a different topic. AKA make your own and post it there. also you gotta stop saying how ugly or unattractive this set is... your kinda bringin the set down for the rest of us. I know those are your personal feelings, and I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

I actually like this set. I love the new palpatine and senate commandos. I don't know why, but I like it more that the ISD... I may be hated for it, but I find this set to be a great buy... :thumbup:

Dont worry i aint hate'n :tongue: I really like 8039, not just for the figs either. Personally I'd rather have a new commandr (Gree?) instead of the senate guards. Cant wait for it to come to my TRU.

Hey Bricks, do you think you could get some comparison pics too? thanks again!

Edited by Mocha

This set looks alright. Its quite expensive where i live which sucks! The minifg selection is really good with palpatine and senate guards. It seems quite small though compared to the imperial star destroyer which is a disappointment.

Palpatine's office looks really good especially his desk! :classic:

Great review of this set also :tongue:

This is one I definitely won't be getting, for multiple reasons. As a representation of the "real" ship, it looks way off: squashed, deformed, and misshapen. The minifigs aren't that exciting for me either: I'm not keen on the blue guards at all).

m19

Thanks for the (short and not really detailed...) review, Bricks.

I still need to see a more detailed review (like xwingyoda's) to decide if I want this set or not.

I really like those stickers; really detailed.

The minifigures are just fine, though. Not that special as I thought.

Hey Anio, I know your new here, but when bricks said "make your own reveiw" he meant in a different topic.

What for ?

Bricks did good photos. He presents well the model.

It is definitely useless to redo the same photos.

I just disagree with his opinion at the end of the review. So, I gave explanations to say why I disagree. :classic: