Samrd'dha City on the Isle of Gorr

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Member: 15677

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Posted Image

The City of Samrd'dha situated in the tropical centre of the beautiful island Gorr.  A busy and popular city with many tourists and holiday makers coming here for it's stunning views.
The mountains, called Jhilamilata, direct to the north and east provides plenty of stone for the city.  The jungle, called Pracurata, to the south east provides plenty of wood for the city.
With all of the local resources and being a tourist hot spot the city has flourished and is now the great city it is today.  The main industry that drives the city is tourism and the main trade is tropical fruit from the Pracurata jungle, it also trades spices from the spice islands and stone from the Jhilamilata mountains.
The meandering Zenagi river proves tricky to traverse to the novice navigator and if you stray up one of the many tributaries you could find yourself with more than you bargained for, for the locals the river is not a problem and dozens of boats sail it everyday.
Samrd'dha has many tradeconnections, mostly with coastal cities such as Mpya Stedor, Ras-el-Akhen, Berigora, Na Ghitan, Stone Town, Barqa, Eastgate and Messahmuk.
Samrd'dha also trades with the other mainland cities such as the capital Patraea and Queen's Cross, but it takes longer to reach these places so it's quicker and easier to trade with the coatal cities, quick trade means quick money and along with the cities tourism industry it has made Samrd'dha a very rich and powerful city.

Posted Image

Outside the City

Mines, Iron, Coal, Copper, Stone, Sandstone, Quartz, Gems, Gold, Silver (Mountains)
Lumberyard (Jungle)
Plantations, Almonds, Bananas, Coffee, Cotton, Dates, Oil Palms, Sisal (Twine & Rope), Sugar Cane, Tobacco (Jungle)
Native Tribes (Jungle)
Vineyard (Desert)
Farms, Goats, Cattle, Ostriches, Sheep, Pigs (Jungle)
Ruins (Jungle)
Crypt (Desert)

Inside the city

1. Gatehouse, City walls and watchtowers
2. Barracks and Officer's house
3. Market
4. Embassy
5. Royal and dignitaries houses
6. Palace
7. Docks
8. Taverns and Inns
9. Glassworks
10. Apothecary, Baker, Blacksmith, Butcher, Green Grocer, Bow maker and Fletcher, Cartographer, Jeweller, Fish Monger, Wizard Shop, Carpenter, Clothier, Wine Merchant, Candle Maker,
11. Warehouse
12. Houses
13. Public Baths
14. Grand Hotel
15. Guild row, Wizards Guild, Warriors Guild, Crafting Guild, Traders Guild
16. Beach houses
17. Ship yard
18. School
19. Tourist Information and travel agency
20. Spice house
21. Dye house
22. City Forge
23. Stables
24. Laboratory
25. Coliseum
26. Slave and Animal Trader
27. Siege Workshop
28. Auction House
29. Library
30. Alchemist
31. Inventor's Workshop
32. Temple
33. Lighthouse
34. Tannery
35. Abattoir
36. Printing House
Paper Mill, Silk Weaving Mill, Sugar Mill, Windmill, Watermill,

Small Buildings
Fountains
Wells
Statues
Gallows
Norias (Irrigation for farms)
Ruins

I plan on doing most of these over the course of Historica, I'll be making a start after I get my embassy done.

*Update* 27/01/12
Updated map and list of buildings.  Smallers buildings can be incorporated in larger mocs.  When I think of more I'll add them.

If anyone has any ideas of some buildings I haven't listed please post them and I'll update the map, also if there are any inaccuracies please let me know, cheers.

Posted Image

All great cities need leaders, I present The Maharaja Supara Adami, unlike most leaders has a wife rather than concubines.  His wife, Queen of Samrd'dha, is called Kutiya Adami and has as much say as Supara in the affairs of the city.  The citizens of Samrd'dha call Supara and Kutiya well balanced leaders and have helped the city thrive during their reign.  The Maharaja and Queen are accompinied by their most loyal and trusted guards aswell as the High Court Wizard Jadu Padana and Royal Advisor and family friend Bara Mastiska.

My Sword and Shield to Kaliphlin.
Kcaj Nosnikta

Edited by CptMugwash, 27 January 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Please check out my Flickr and MOCpages.
Kcaj Nosnikta of the Kaliphlin Guild

#2 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Member: 22634

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I am looking forward till the first buildings of Samrd'dha! I especially hope you'll make the colosseum as I think nobody else ever tried that :tongue:

Lord Damaximus of Stedor, loyal to the guild of KALIPHLIN!

East Stedor  - West Stedor

Posted Image   Posted Image
my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/76053512@N04/

#3 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Ambitious!

I like it!
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#4 Fred Daniel Yam

Fred Daniel Yam

• Thinks dead fish can drool

Member: 20078

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

This sounds a bit familiar to another city in the West. :tongue:

"Your mind is a curious combination of insanity and genius. I simply removed the genius."

Playing as William Harkenshire in Sandy's Heroica RPG Stats

#5 Basiliscus

Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looks exciting! Can't wait for you to start building it  :thumbup:

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Flickr

#6 Jakon

Jakon

Member: 23492

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

It looks very nice, and also, I want to know, would you be interested in forming trade relations with my home town and other cities in Mitgardia through my company? We are severly lacking in spices in the north, and fruit is rather hard to find as well.
Sincerly, Jakon B. Rytight
Lord Jakon Rytight
Leader of the Iron Rangers, Frost Berserker
Founder of the Frozen Peaks Trading company
Posted Image

#7 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the comments, I'll definately be trying the coliseum, but I'll start small first.  I'll be starting off the city with the Sultan once I take some pictures.
VolcanicPanik If you mean Albion in Avalonia, then maybe but this is more of a personal project and challenge for me.
Jakon Ofcourse, we are very interested in strengthening our trade relations with Mitgardia, our embassy is currently being built in Konugard and once built we will be able to discuss further.

Thank you kindly.
Kcaj Nosnikta

#8 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Very nice, lots of variety here.  I have a couple of questions - is the lake salty (for the salt fields)?  If so, it would imply a pretty massive tidal range, which would be unusual in a mountain river.  Where do you get fresh water from?  I ask because The PGTC is itching to try out its heliotropes on a desalination project somewhere.

Is the river navigable by ocean-going ships?  Or they need trans-shipment at Barqa for blue water voyages?

Great stuff Kacj, I am glad you have a laboratory, maybe an inventors` workshop, an al-Khymist and a shipyard, as well as some clothiers, wine merchants could add to the mix.

:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

View Postrobuko, on 16 January 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Very nice, lots of variety here.  I have a couple of questions - is the lake salty (for the salt fields)?  If so, it would imply a pretty massive tidal range, which would be unusual in a mountain river.  Where do you get fresh water from?  I ask because The PGTC is itching to try out its heliotropes on a desalination project somewhere.

Is the river navigable by ocean-going ships?  Or they need trans-shipment at Barqa for blue water voyages?

Great stuff Kcaj, I am glad you have a laboratory, maybe an inventors` workshop, an al-Khymist and a shipyard, as well as some clothiers, wine merchants could add to the mix.

:classic:
Actually I never really thought about it, I might have to change it because it makes more sense if it is fresh water, just thought it was a bit different.  I imagine the river to be deep and wide enough for most ships, just not the really really big ones so a trans-shipment at Barqa could be possible.  Those shops are great, inventor's wrokshop, alchemist's, clothier's and wine merchant's, there's already a shipyard #17, thank you for the comments.

#10 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

• Constellation Encyclopedia

Member: 14945

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostCptMugwash, on 16 January 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Actually I never really thought about it, I might have to change it because it makes more sense if it is fresh water, just thought it was a bit different.  I imagine the river to be deep and wide enough for most ships, just not the really really big ones so a trans-shipment at Barqa could be possible.  Those shops are great, inventor's wrokshop, alchemist's, clothier's and wine merchant's, there's already a shipyard #17, thank you for the comments.
I think it would be pretty unlikely that ocean water would make it that far upstream, so it's probably fresh. Robuko/Rasputin, if you want a location for a desal plant, Basiliscus'/Wahil's Stone Town is probably a good bet. It's on the coast, and I don't think there are any rivers there (yet).
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#11 Jakon

Jakon

Member: 23492

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostCptMugwash, on 15 January 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Jakon Ofcourse, we are very interested in strengthening our trade relations with Mitgardia, our embassy is currently being built in Konugard and once built we will be able to discuss further.

Thank you kindly.
Kcaj Nosnikta
Ahh, I see, also, may I suggest that you put plenty of fireplaces in your embassy, its rather cold up here, and even more so for your people.
Lord Jakon Rytight
Leader of the Iron Rangers, Frost Berserker
Founder of the Frozen Peaks Trading company
Posted Image

#12 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostJakon, on 17 January 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Ahh, I see, also, may I suggest that you put plenty of fireplaces in your embassy, its rather cold up here, and even more so for your people.
Thank you for the advice, it can get quite cold in the desert too but we are prepared for Mitgardia.

#13 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostCptMugwash, on 19 January 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Thank you for the advice, it can get quite cold in the desert too but we are prepared for Mitgardia.

Cold in Kaliphlin? Here in Mpya Stedor, it's almost always hot :tongue:

#14 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostDaMaximus, on 19 January 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Cold in Kaliphlin? Here in Mpya Stedor, it's almost always hot :tongue:
Night time in the barren desert is incredibly cold aswell as along the coast.

#15 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostCptMugwash, on 22 January 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Night time in the barren desert is incredibly cold aswell as along the coast.

maybe it is because we got a micro-climate in our bay. Oh well, we don't complain :tongue:

#16 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostDaMaximus, on 22 January 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

maybe it is because we got a micro-climate in our bay. Oh well, we don't complain :tongue:
Ofcourse, they're all over the place, when night decends on the city everyone goes into the taverns, you can't beat the warmth of a good beer in your belly, here, here.

Updated, map and list and the king of the city.

Edited by CptMugwash, 27 January 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#17 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Finally an addition to the city, it may be small but it's a start!

Local Wine Bar

Posted Image

The Front, nothing fancy for a small local bar, a sign outside along with a drunk.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Bar, a bit cramped but cosy.  A local chatting to the barkeep about current events and Kcaj in the corner with a colleague enjoying some plonk

Posted Image

The Barkeep's Room, the barkeep must have saved up to buy that four poster bed ;)

Posted Image

The Roof, a place to enjoy the tropical sunshine.

Posted Image

and it's modular.

Notes: Origionally this was going to be part of another moc but ended up going with something else.  The walls are a bit bland, wasn't sure what to do with the windows, just a kind of freebuild I guess, tried to compensate by adding details here and there.  I'll try and up my game for the next challenge though!

Comments and Crits Welcome.

More photos on Flickr.

Cheers.

#18 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I like it. My only suggestion would be to perhaps add a hinged back wall.

Also like the roof drainage opening. Hope no one spills anything up there as the drunk might get wet...:laugh:

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Mikel

I thought about adding a removable backwall when I started taking photos, but I shall keep it in mind for future builds.  Don't worry about the drunk, given his current state I don't think he'd mind, he needs a wash  :laugh:

#20 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Looks like a fine place to drink!

though at first I had thought the bed was for customers... as I do get sleepy after a few kegs...  :drunk:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#21 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

SI Thanks, the idea was for it be a local's bar set in the residential area so the drunks won't have too far to stagger  :tongue:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users