Hi!

Reminder: this is my first review and english is kind of a foreign language to me, so be kind! Thanks! *sweet*

Okay, that's what we're talking 'bout:

all.jpg

#1. The Box:

Front:

boxfront.jpg

Back:

boxback.jpg

Open with parts:

boxfull.jpg

Open

boxopen.jpg

Styrofoam! That

These are some very nice pictures and a very thorough pictorial review. Thanks for the effort! And thanks for the reference to my web site as well. 8848 is one of my favorite sets because of its unique functions, especially the lift for the front bucket.

Eric

Great to see a older model reviews. I especially like in-progress pictures where you can see functionality in real life, the picture in the instruction manual make the model look different.

Mig

Tks for that great review! *y*

I love that set for parts!yell.png

~VBBN~halosmilie.jpg

I know this is an old post and I'm sorry if resurrecting it is bad form on the site.

This was the first set I ever owned so when I bought some Technic for the first time in 20 years recently, this was the set I found on ebay and bought!!

I love that it looks like a Unimog but it is not allowed to be called so!

I found this image on the site which shows it in comparison to the new Unimog! Having now seen how big it is, I want one!!

02_8110_8848.jpg

Sorry to revive an old topic...

I have acquired a 8848 in very good condition with box, but it's missing the clear plastic cover that covers everything on the inside. Where would i be able to find one? Does someone have it?

I doubt you will be able to find that separately. You might end up having to buy a whole box off Bricklink.

allanp: it is not.

Blakbird: I have searched bricklink. I have bought the set from there just now. It is complete and in very good condition, just lacks that plastic cover. I have not seen any set with box on BL that has it.

Have a look at Ebay. Some months ago, I bought a very good 8848 set with box in quite good condition, with plastic tray and cover, for less than 50€.

Bricklink is great for parts, but not-so-great for older sets and special parts like transparent covers for the old boxes.

Blakbird: I have searched bricklink. I have bought the set from there just now. It is complete and in very good condition, just lacks that plastic cover. I have not seen any set with box on BL that has it.

I am not suggesting buying another set, I am suggesting buying just a box. You can search for boxes and instructions independently. I think it will be hard to find an available box for a set this old though. Many of my old boxes are also issuing the clear cover.

Great little set, and also one that making that front bucket work correctly was quite a challenge. If I recall the instructions are not very clear.

Also this has to be one of the first links with the Mercedes unimog or at least a compliment to it without paying any loyalities.

It is a set i have always wanted, but it was not sold anymore, so in an age before the internet, i could not have it.

So i decided i need to collect all the classic 80s lego sets, before they become too rare and expensive.

Started with the big trio first (8848, 8859 and 8860)

Edited by nicjasno

Thanks for sharing this. I have noticed a few of this set on eBay of late and I was 50/50 on if I will buy it or not, after reading this I am thinking I might :)

On 12/17/2013 at 1:30 PM, TangersTechnic said:

Thanks for sharing this. I have noticed a few of this set on eBay of late and I was 50/50 on if I will buy it or not, after reading this I am thinking I might :)

It has ONLY taken 10 years but I have this set on the way to me :)

15 hours ago, TangersTechnic said:

It has ONLY taken 10 years but I have this set on the way to me :)

That is really nice to read. Persistence ... I love it. Have fun with the set, and please report here, how you felt upon arrival and opening the box!

(I had to wait for 35 years to get my hands on an original IBM XT ... which I restored to almost factory condition. That was and is an incredible and rewarding feeling)

Best wishes,
Thorsten