andrewganschow

External Resources used when Building

Now that I have my computer setup at my desk with all my beams and bricks, (I have a separate desk for gaming), I've started using more online resources when I build, various ones include sariels gear ratio calculator, his blueprint scaler, and online building instructions to help design mocs and modify sets, so what resources do you all use when you build?

Beer, Lego digital designer, google image search, paper + pen, sometimes photoshop.

Beer, and occasionally ouzo, tequila or rum; what else do you need. A good light, and occasional consultation with LDD, although I prefer printed instructions.

Edited by JGW3000

Google images, the netcarshow app, and I also like using the LEGO size grids from BrickGun.

Beer, and occasionally ouzo, tequila or rum... and occasional consultation with LSD

That's quite a combination. I've never tried building with LSD yet ;)

Yup, I don't have time either. I'm about to finish my latest MOC, it was a quite rapid development in comparison with my previous builds. So after 7 months, another medicore crap is coming from me...

Differs for me: As I work in two stages. I have to working sets: a) Putting bricks together: It's the offline Task and uses a table with my bricks and when working on a scaled modell a calculator, a ruler, pens, blueprints and sometimes the internet to use things like sariels little helpers. There is often something to drink, a cat to comfort my self (sleeping ready for kuddling).

b) Digitizing the assembled bricks: For that i use my kowledge of the modell and rebuild it in LDD (if possible) therefore: something to dring, the staged modell, my computer

Sevenstuds - autocorrect, fat fingers, and Sam Adams were responsible for that typo!

Edited by JGW3000

Sevenstuds - autocorrect, fat fingers, and Sam Adams were responsible for that typo!

Well, it did make me laugh. As Steve Jobs also tells us, LSD is an excellent "external resource". :drunk:

Edited by SevenStuds

A computer for pics of any real-life images of models I'm making. Occasionally I look up mechanisms or cars that I could use as future MOCs.

The tablet I am writing these words for google image search - and thats it actually. The rest is putting bricks together and separating them again till I am happy with the result.

Most recently. Palfinger website, youtube and goolge images.

H

Edited by Horace T

Beer and music are the resources I use most when building! Admittedly, it is often a root-beer or ginger ale for the daytime, but I like something with a few more hops when I get my build on in the evening.

I also keep my tablet to hand, so I can pick up and check if a part I think I need for a MOC comes in the colour I need and if so, do I own the set. I do try to avoid referring too much as I feel it stifles creativity, but sometimes it is the only solution.

I tend to build the models in LEGO Digital Designer, then order all the parts, open the file, and build it (without converting it to instructions) from the LDD file. Like many of you, I also partake in a good stiff drink (I prefer scotch) while doing this, though my intake is usually proportional to the difficulty of the assembly.

I also partake in a good stiff drink (I prefer scotch) while doing this, though my intake is usually proportional to the difficulty of the assembly.

That means more difficult, more booze? :wink:

Edited by Littleworlds

That means more difficult, more booze? :wink:

Correct. Usually preceded by a string of expletives and a rousing game of "Why did I design this so hard?"

I have an iMac in one corner of my building space. The online resources I use the most are probably Flick for inspiration and EB for feedback on WIPs and finished models.