Magazine/Catalog Archives?

14 replies to this topic

#1 PMJ

PMJ

Member: 3488

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

Does anyone know of a website with scans of Lego Mania Magazines and Shop at Home Catalogs? Particularly 1999-2002?

If nobody knows, does anyone have scans/the ability to scan them? It would be much appreciated.

Edited by Fugazi, 12 August 2012 - 11:48 PM.
added subtitle

"If it weren't for these dumb neural implants we'd be here smokin' in a crater by now!"
I have a hard time telling when a joke is over. It's over. <----Words from a MOD

#2 TimeCruiser

TimeCruiser

• The problem solver

Member: 28112

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

View PostPMJ, on 22 June 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

Does anyone know of a website with scans of Lego Mania Magazines and Shop at Home Catalogs? Particularly 1999-2002?

If nobody knows, does anyone have scans/the ability to scan them? It would be much appreciated.
Peeron Instruction and Catalog Scans Library (PICSL) has a few catalogs, but more of the small leaflets that came in sets.  I have a bunch of hardcopy magazines and catalogs, but not scanned.  Is there something in particular you are looking for?

#3 PMJ

PMJ

Member: 3488

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostTimeCruiser, on 22 June 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Peeron Instruction and Catalog Scans Library (PICSL) has a few catalogs, but more of the small leaflets that came in sets.  I have a bunch of hardcopy magazines and catalogs, but not scanned.  Is there something in particular you are looking for?
Well I first signed up in 1999, and all my catalogs and magazines up until 2002 were thrown out. I like the magazines and catalogs because of the art and photography.
"If it weren't for these dumb neural implants we'd be here smokin' in a crater by now!"
I have a hard time telling when a joke is over. It's over. <----Words from a MOD

#4 danim

danim

• Smarter than your average walrus

Member: 6740

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have quite alot of catalogs which I could scan into my computer but it would take a while
Thanks Daniel

Posted Image   Posted Image

Street Sweeper                                     Coca-Cola Truck

#5 LEGO Historian

LEGO Historian

• Older than ABS

Member: 1550

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Unfortunately Peeron seems to be on "cruise control", and a lot of new catalog submissions and older catalog submissions are not being added to their database...

Unfortunately Peeron seems to be on "cruise control", and a lot of new catalog submissions and older catalog submissions are not being added to their database...
LEGO "Smarty Pants Extraordinaire" for 54 years!   Can be Emailed at:  istok.gary@gmail.com

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook...ets.Parts.Guide

http://legocollectorsguide.weebly.com/

Posted Image

#6 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

• Honest as Abe

Member: 5831

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostLEGO Historian, on 22 June 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

You can say that again (er, wait)...

Jokes aside, I've also noticed Peeron seems slow to add / update info. I still find it useful, but I do wish it were more up-to-date. There are numerous sets released in the past couple years that don't have inventories yet.

#7 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I wish I knew a place where you could view old Mania Magazines in full... most of the ones from my childhood, including those covering childhood favorite themes, are either in extremely poor condition or missing entirely. Catalogs aren't such a problem for me since my dad was often wise enough to keep the catalogs from me when I was a kid, but I still like to look up online versions of catalogs from before my time as a LEGO fan, or from other countries which in some cases had different set names and story information for even the themes within my lifetime.

Brickset has an archive of Bricks & Pieces magazines, the LEGO Club magazines from the UK in the '70s and '80s.

LEGO.com has a brief archive of LEGO Club Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. Magazine interactive samples from the past couple years, although it's not really kept up-to-date so some of the most recent magazines are absent. You can find the most recent magazines in an abridged, interactive form at the LEGO Club website. A Google search at the host site for those interactive magazines (imc.ceros.com, imm-lite.ceros.com, or nxtbook.com) can bring up slightly less recent ones as well. Some of these, but not all of them, include an option to download PDF versions of the magazine samples, or even just specific pages.

The LEGO Club website used to have a "Magazine Flashback" which included abridged versions of various magazines throughout the years. That is no longer on the live site, but it can be found here courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

For catalogs, Peeron is a good source but I should offer a warning that it will kick you out after viewing a certain number of pages due to an automatic feature meant to bots and web crawlers from slowing down the site. Another source I often use for old catalogs is Brickfactory.info

Hope some of these links help you!

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?

Member: 8966

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostAanchir, on 23 June 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

For catalogs, Peeron is a good source but I should offer a warning that it will kick you out after viewing a certain number of pages due to an automatic feature meant to bots and web crawlers from slowing down the site.
I think this can be circumvented by creating an account with Peeron and logging in.
New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I would like to see a repository of these too. Peeron and Brickfactory (and one or two other sites) are good sources for the small mini-catalogs included in sets, but it's much harder to find the full-size S@H catalogs or club magazines (Mania/Brick Kicks/etc.). They're certainly fun to look at and have back-story material on many themes that you can't get elsewhere. I have the catalogs from 1995-2002 or so, but that's it.

#10 Lego Otaku

Lego Otaku

Member: 13293

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

I submitted scan for instruction book #3 (I have only #3 out of 5 book sets) for set #1092 some months ago.  It still has not been updated.  :thumbdown:

#11 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostAanchir, on 23 June 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I wish I knew a place where you could view old Mania Magazines in full... most of the ones from my childhood, including those covering childhood favorite themes, are either in extremely poor condition or missing entirely. Catalogs aren't such a problem for me since my dad was often wise enough to keep the catalogs from me when I was a kid, but I still like to look up online versions of catalogs from before my time as a LEGO fan, or from other countries which in some cases had different set names and story information for even the themes within my lifetime.

If you look on this (Dutch) page, and scroll a bit down, you can read some mania magazines.  :classic:
There are 11 complete magazines and 1 incomplete.

Edited by legolijntje, 27 June 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#12 Echo

Echo

Member: 504

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'd love to read through some old LEGO magazines and catalogs, (By old, I mean the '90s through early '00s.) but before trying to find some on Bricklink, I'd like to know if there is a website with scans that I could look at instead. Anyone know of such a place?

#13 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I like to read through old magazines too :classic:
Here you can read all kinds of magazines. :classic:  The website is Dutch, but luckily they translated this page into English too. You can find American, Britisch, Dutch and German magazines on that page.
Note that not all magazines are included, only the ones they could get their hands on.

#14 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?

Member: 8966

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

You can also check out this topic for more information.
New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#15 Cult_Of_Skaro

Cult_Of_Skaro

Member: 33235

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

Does anyone know where I can find the jan-feb Mania Magazine? The Dutch site has two copies of the July-August one by accident.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users