Sign in to follow this  
Elephant Knight

Cross Bone Frigate

Basically, it's a mix of the Black Pearl, and the Cross Bone Clipper (Clipper? that thing is properly a dingy...)

Front:

20076235418_f47d1a378a.jpgCross Bone Frigate (2) by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

pirates-indexed.gif Principally Square-rigged, Three Masts 20C

Stern:

19641609514_6a6237ba9d.jpgCross Bone Frigate (4) by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

This MOC came about because I wanted to use all those official red striped sails together.

As usual, comments and criticism are welcome.

EKnight

The ship looks good, but the green accents look bad. Especially with the red sails.I think red accents might look better.

I agree. Shape and rigging are really fine, but the green does not work together with the red.

But what I really miss is: MORE PICTURES! pir_laugh2.gif

(some close-ups?)

I have to agree on the color, although I do like the ship as a whole very much. It looks solidly built and well planned.

I guess I am alone in liking the colour scheme, but the Cross Bone Clipper was my first Pirate ship (I got it way back in 1998 or so, so one of my older sets, to boot) so I have a bit of nostalgia for that ship.

More pictures can be found by clicking on the pictures, taking you to my photostream.

EKnight

Shape looks good. Red and green is not bad. It can work for a holiday pirate boat display. :classic:

I do not think the colors looks bad. Your target make a big ship in refference to the Cross Bone Clipper is reached. The colors had to be like you did. The mixed sails suprisly are looking good together. I like the slant you bild on the upper deck at the stern and the anchor-details most . :thumbup: :thumbup:

Overall this is a very nice vessel. The shape of the hull and custom rigging look good. The green is fine the way it is, especially considering that realistic sails wouldn't have red stripes and therefore wouldn't clash. This is far better than the Cross Bone Clipper but pays homage to its spirit. Well done.

the Cross Bone Clipper was my first Pirate ship (I got it way back in 1998 or so, so one of my older sets, to boot) so I have a bit of nostalgia for that ship.

This MOC is a great improvement over the Cross-Bone Dingy set. I thought the set was terrible. The ship's layout and its rigging look real nice together. The MOC looks pretty good with its tumblehome. :thumbup:

I don't mind the green at all.

Would it be difficult to have the steering functional?

Thanks for the comments! Glad to see I am not alone in thinking the colour scheme isn't terrible.

I'm not really one for functional steering. Sometime I would like to fill in the cabin with details, but I doubt I will actually do it. Not to mention, I don't really know any good ways to conect the rudder to the wheel.

EKnight

Interesting tumblehome technique. Less brick consuming and easier than hinge tumblehome technique i think. Might try it i guess. Overall a solid build.

I like the green! There's hardly any green ships on this page! Keep the green, but make your own sails to ditch the red!

I like the green too, gives it an eerie feeling somehow... not sure if thats what you were going for, but i like it.