Sign in to follow this  
SirSven7

A Look at the Pirate Sets from 1994

Hello Again.

You all might be a little bored of me by now but I have written half of what I call wave 3

this post looks at the sets releasd in 1994. If your interested give it a read, but I will edit it over the next week to also include 1995. (hove now included 1995).

Pirate sets from 1994 and 1995

if there is anything I can do to improve the work please tell me.

any other comments would be great too

Thanks again.

Edited by SirSven7

good review mate.

But you wrote "Sets from 1993" when you are talking about 1994.

I really enjoy your reviews like the big lego pirate fan i am. Is curious when you said both girls in pirate theme(Anne and princess Uhu) were the classic damsels in distress when you play with your lego...i have always see Anne as a dangerous girl, like the pirate she is (but the 2009 pirate girl look more dangerous and evil, with her evil grin and patch in his eye). About Uhu i understand she may be only a indian girl, and i think she may be a damsel in distress then(even we can see her using an arch...she may be a good hunter but not a girl ready to fight)...but Anne is a pirate so i think she may be ready and capable to kill, like a pirate.

well, in your review we can see in 1994 Ironhook was the protagonist of islander subtheme, instead Captain Roger/Redbeard. We can notice about his legs usually change(in 1992-1993 sets he wore black trousers, in set ref.1729 wore blue trausers, in the other sets he wore a pegleg and black trousers) and he often wears blue epaulets.

You said lots of people dislikes islanders. Well, i think adding an island tribe in pirate theme was original, and is coherent because if nowadays there are island tribes in Amazonas and some south american countries like Colombia, in the golden era of piracy there were more of this tribes. The problem, in my opinion was the story that The Lego Company told us was incoherent: they said pirates were interested in steal islanders treasure. Islanders treasure is a coffer full of golden coins like you may notice in some sets (for example: enchanted island). It's an absurd story because an island tribe doesn't use money, so why they have a coffer with gold coins? adding an island tribe to pirate theme wasn't a mistake...the mistake was the official lego story about that. That's the reason i don't like islander sub-theme.

About Skull island is a repeat of Forbidden Cove, i totally disagree. Skull island was much better because you have 2 redcoats(that bring us the redcoats again), a cannon, a crane, bring us Captain Roger/redbeard again(is the only set of 1994-1995 with him, while the other sets had captain Ironhook...i am not saying Roger was better than ironhook, even i like him more...i am saying bring us old minifigs again is cool) and the skull wasn't a simple ornamet, like the forbidden cove statue is, you can move the skull and is a tunnel...and Skull island is bigger. I think the best pirate base was 1991 Rock island refuge, and the second best base was Skull island, even better than 1989 forbidden island(even it has a prison).

About the imperial outpost being a copy of lagoon lock up...i think in fact the 1991 set inspired this 1995 set...but both sets are really good, and different. Lagon lock up has a more simple building, but more minifigs.

Greetings mate :pir-classic:

Edited by Captain Roger

Thanks for the feedback Roger, I'll address the reply in stages

1993 :pir_bawling: , thanks for pointing that out, Im an stupid, have now chnaged it.

when I say I owned two

I meant two Princess (have now made that clearer)I agree with you, Ann was always a killer for my pirates (as is the new girl) :pir-classic:

Ironhook

Thanks for pointing that out, have now included that in the conclusion at the end.

Problem with Islanders

what you said was soo good, I have now included it as a quote in my conclusion, if thats ok :pir_laugh2: (if not tell me and I will remove it)

Skull island

When I say skull Island is a repeat, I mean in the way the Skull rolls to the side and the dock being behind it, thats exactly the same for the islander set, my problem with this is that it just happened a year earlier, I still like the set and am not sure which pirate base is my fave because of it (the crane and roof look great), I would have just liked to see something different.

About the outpost, you could be right I think I have judged that a little too harshly, will edit that to make it fairer. :pirate:

Thanks for reading and feedback it helped alot :thumbup:

So far I must say that these overviews of the pirates theme have been an enjoyable real.

It is also nice to see that people use my “named pirates” thread, but I’m not too happy that it is spreading false information. I have said it before, Uhu is NOT the princess, Uhu is the MALE islander figure, like the one from Crocodile Cage, in LEGO Racers. Maybe I should get a few screen grabs to illustrate it. The female islander is not even in LEGO Racers, you can’t build her.

you said you meant two princess...hum, i think there are only 2 girls in 1989-1997 pirate theme, Anne and islander princess...who is the other princess?

Of course you can add in your blog what i said about islanders...i am glad you want to add it :pir-classic:

Runamuck...you said Uhu is the male islander...and is not the princess...in named pirates thread, someone said uhu is the islander girl...the guy who said that may had a mistake and confused me...in fact the guy who posted all names had other mistakes whith Flashfork and Steve, like i said in the thread, but i didn't know he had another mistake about islanders

are you saying the islander guy is called Uhu in Lego Racers?

Yes Uhu is the male islander in LEGO Racers.

Here is a picture from the level selection.

uhumenu.jpg

And here we have him in the game, I hope you can at least see his face paint

uhuingame.jpg

Here is the list of the competitors from the Danish version

uhudansk.jpg

And here we have the same list in the English version where he is just called islander

uhuenglish.jpg

I hope this clears things a bit up.

Thanks about the Uhu name thing, I'll take it off my posts,

about the princess thing, I meant that I had two of the same model (one from the enchanted island and one from the Cattaerman boat set) they are the same fig just that i had two of them (like i had about 4 kings for example)

This was a fun look at the sets from these two years...it made me even more excited about the Enchanted Island that should be coming to me in the mail soon! :)

I really think 1995 was an underrated year for Pirates. Sure, there were only three or four sets, but they were great ones with fun features and really solid designs. All the sets released in that year are among my favorite Pirate sets.

TC

Another nice comprehensive review! I shall blog this along with your thoughts on 1992-1993 sets. Good work!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]