From the dawn of time they have been at war. No one knows how it started or why. Whatever the reason, every molecule in their ABS plastic is filled with contempt and disgust for the opposite side. For the safety and harmony of brick loving folks everywhere this animosity is held in check by the most advanced technology and the toughest moderators much of the year…but inevitably this much rage can’t be contained and it explodes into…..
The Second Annual Redcoats vs. Bluecoats Tournament of Retribution!
General purpose: The primary purpose of the Tournament is to have FUN at the expense of the opposing side (Redcoats vs. Bluecoats).
The Tournament objective: Create a comic of up to 10 panels depicting the funniest, most brutal, outlandish stories of your side causing the most humiliating, physical, and/or emotional harm to the other side (as represented by their sides minifigures Red vs. Blue).
Note: For the purpose of this competition Redcoats and Bluecoats represent no national origin so pick which minifigure you like best.
Warning: If you are a sensitive soul who is easily offended or grossed out, if the thought of winning fabulous prizes makes you sick…Then the Tournament of Retribution may not be for you! We suggest a nice clean book of poems and a warm soft kitten.
If you enjoy bathroom jokes and horror movies, if you believe a Lego cutlass makes a fine tooth pick, if you have always wondered what exactly a minfigure’s brains look like, if you love Lego Pirates…Then you are honor bound to grab your uniform and your musket and enlist now to fight for your side!
How the Tournament will work this year:
- This year combatants will compete as individuals representing their side (Redcoats or Bluecoats).
- Competitors will have approximately 3 weeks to sign up in the official entry thread beginning June 8th, 2010 at whatever time we are sober enough to post the thread. You will provide your user name and declare what side you are on (Redcoat or Bluecoat). READ ALL the RULES BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!
- Competitors will submit their entry by opening up a new topic in the Pirates MOC Forum. The topic should be entitled “Tournament of Retribution II Entry” and should have an appropriate subtitle of their choosing.
- The first round of the Tournament will open on June 15, 2010ish. Competitors will be given 4 weeks to submit their comic. The deadline is July 13, 2010 at whatever time we feel like it so don’t wait until the last minute. July 14th a voting thread will be open to all Eurobricks members for one week. Only the top 5 Bluecoat entries and the top 5 Redcoat entries will be invited to compete in the final round of the Tournament.
- Round two (the final round) will be open on July 22, 2010. Competitors will be given 2 weeks to submit their second comic. The deadline for this final round is August 5, 2010. August 6th a voting thread will be open to all Eurobricks members for one week. Prizes will be awarded to the top 6 vote getters.
The Rules: They’re more like Guidelines.
- No clone brands. Real LEGO, custom decals/stickers/string/sails, and aftermarket products (like Brickarms and Brickforge) only.
- Each entry may have up to 10 photographs or images in their comic strip depicting a sequence of events. Each \"panel\" is considered a single image or photograph whether it is a stand alone image or part of a comic strip spread. In other words, your entry may be just one image containing up to 10 separate panels or 10 individual photographs. Regardless of you style, each posted image may be 800x600 maximum.
- Each panel should have text associated with it in most instances. The text can be dialog of the characters or a narrative description similar to what would be found in a comic strip or a combination there of.
- Each comic must contain at least one Redcoat & one Bluecoat soldier (from the Lego Pirates theme) (old or new figures are accepted, decals are OK as substitutes for Redcoat and Bluecoat soldiers as long as they look recognizable as the Lego version). Participants may use any other Lego factions, themes, minifigures etc. within their comic in support of their story.
- Note: The new dark blue governor torso will be accepted as either a Redcoat or a Blue Coat (does that make him a turn coat?).
- The use of avatars in comics is encouraged and permitted but limited to the avatars of those who have entered the Tournament, Tournament Hosts and Classic-Pirates Crew Members. Eurobricks members who wish to allow the use of their avatar in the Tournament may do so by signing up in a special topic that will be opened. By joining the Tournament or authorizing the use of your avatar you are agreeing to have your avatar abused in whatever way competitors and Tournament Officials see fit to abuse them.
- This is a comic contest NOT a building contest. Competitors should attempt funny story telling through the use of Lego depicting senseless violence and other nonsensical behavior by Redcoats and Bluecoats toward Redcoats or Bluecoats, build as much or as little as you need to tell your story.
About Spectators: Spectators are asked to :
- Get into the rowdy spirit of the Tournament.
- Take the energy level of their posts and comments up a notch and focus on the story and not just the building techniques.
- Fans should have as much fun as possible…it really can be rewarding….to be an active spectator!
Tournament Hosts: Commodore Hornbricker for the Redcoats and Captain Blackmoor for the Bluecoats will serve as this year’s Tournament hosts. The hosts will be responsible for settling any questions , disputes or other issues, interpreting and enforcing rules and deadlines, and presiding over all hangings, floggings and other social gatherings within the context of the Tournament including disqualification. In addition, as hosts, the contest gods have also granted us special powers….tune in to the Tournament to find out more!
IMPORTANT Tournament Threads
The Rules (this thread)
Official Sign Ups