Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Problems with the Chrome C3PO?

So today I opened the polybag with the golden C3PO and noticed something...disheartening. I can't check *yoda*'s review since BS seems to be down, and I want to see if anyone else ran into this.

It looks fine when you take it out of the bag, and it looks fine when the arms are perpendicular to the body, but you can't place the arms by the side or you see the regular C3PO torso. That's right, the chrome has huge holes on the sides, leaving large patches of normal 3PO if you try to put the arms down. I'll take pictures if anyone doesn't know what I mean.

So basically I'm asking:

1. Is this normal?

2. Is this a misprint?

3. If it's a misprint, any chance on Lego actually sending me a normal one if I ship this one to them? :-| It looks fine with the arms out like a robot from a bad 70's movie, but this is a robot from a GOOD 70's movie :-D So...thoughts?

Edit: Also the back of the left leg isn't chromed...and I opened a SEALED bag, so this wasn't a fake.

Edited by Starwars4J

That can't be right - I'd get a replacement.

Unless it's likely to be worth loads of money of course. :-)

Can we see some pictures please?

Dr. S.

I don't think they'll replace it, that's highly unlikely. I haven't gotten one yet ( :-( !!) but you can alaways try to find a color that's exactly or close to that of this figure and fill in the spots. This is my best suggestion. Hope it helped :-) .

Awesome '70s movie on!

Here's the front:

droid0001ec7.jpg

Looks normal, right? Well let's look at one arm:

droid0002oa2.jpg

And the other...

droid0003pa6.jpg

And the legs (I had to use the flash to show the difference):

droid0004yw6.jpg

As you can see, something's clearly wrong :-/ If it's worth a lot I won't complain :-D I do doubt it though...a replacement would be nice since this is another clear case of quality control...

Edit: From the pictures it almost looks scratched up, don't worry it isn't. That's I guess my fingerprints...I went over it with a cloth and it's nice and smooth and shiny...except for those three areas *sing*

Edited by Starwars4J

A light layer of model paint could do...

That's so pretty...but those imperfections :-( . Sorry, mate, hope it works out well.

That's not a misprint, that's how they all come. It's basically because LEGO vac-metalise the whole figure instead of doing it part by part.

I won't be moving the arms anyway though, so it doesn't matter to me.

That's not a misprint, that's how they all come. It's basically because LEGO vac-metalise the whole figure instead of doing it part by part.

I won't be moving the arms anyway though, so it doesn't matter to me.

But from what I remember you didn't need the arm out at that angle...even so why is one leg chromed and the other isn't (as in the last picture)? It's still some pretty shoddy quality control

I've seen pictures of somebody else's and its like that too. If I remeber, I'll post pictures, but brickshelf seems to be down for now. :-/ Weird! :-(

I've seen pictures of somebody else's and its like that too. If I remeber, I'll post pictures, but brickshelf seems to be down for now. :-/ Weird! :-(

Even on the back of the leg?

But from what I remember you didn't need the arm out at that angle...even so why is one leg chromed and the other isn't (as in the last picture)? It's still some pretty shoddy quality control

Well, if you don't want it.... X-D

(I do agree though with your point about the leg. I look forward to *yoda* saying what his is like...)

It may be the place where the machined held it while it was being painted.

May I ask, did you find it in a set, or buy it on eBay? (Out of curiosity! ;-) )

Well I might have bought it on ebay ;-) BUT I bought it in the sealed bag from someone with high positive feedback who was quick to get back to me when I had questions. It was for real, I just question that one leg, if the rest is normal, is that too?

Yep, a common problem.

For a vastly overpriced gimmick item, it was incredibly poorly made.

Just one more negative about the whole promotion.

The leg on my one's like that as well. Like ImperialScouts said, it's probably where the machine held the figure.

Alright, thanks guys. That's a little annoying that the quality control and effort put into this was so poor for such a hyped promotion though :-/

True, But not like it bothers me or most EB members as we europeans are likley never to get one....

True, But not like it bothers me or most EB members as we europeans are likley never to get one....

Maybe eventually it will balance out, but for now if you compare the number of members of FBTB who have one to the number here, taking out the friends of LEGO employees who were shilled one free, more people here have them.

The vast majority of those sold on eBay came from a convention where they were handed out (and a surprisingly large number of those went to a small handful of people who then sold large quantities of them at a huge profit).

This whole promotion has been a travesty.

So LEGO give something extra away for free and you're annoyed? Well that's gratitude.

BTW- Everything that is chromed gains a layer of thick 'chrome' (what else) - given how difficult it is to get mini-figure arms on normally I guess this is why the arms were attached first, then they would obvious have to be placed in a position where the part of the minifigure that did not receive a layer of chrome because of the arms was reduced to a minimum, and also to make sure the chrome got between the 'fingers' on the hand. (I'd like to see a machine try to do this - but given the small number of these figures I bet it was done by hand - very expensive - these are free remember.) As for the leg it seems like an unobtrusive place to attach the figure to the machine that it was chromed in.

These figures are not in the boxes in Europe because consumer law here means that you cannot show something on the boxes or in advertisements that is not in the box, so there can be no random placement. I'm sure LEGO would have loved to make this promotion available in Europe, but it

So LEGO give something extra away for free and you're annoyed? Well that's gratitude.

Actually, since he purchased it on eBay, it didn't end up free or cheap, so he can certainly complain.

Further, no company gives anything away free. You can bet that every one of those is being paid for by all of us when we purchase other sets. Might even be why the minifig count seems a bit stingy this year, though I think that's just because they know they can get away with it and we'll still buy.

These figures are not in the boxes in Europe because consumer law here means that you cannot show something on the boxes or in advertisements that is not in the box, so there can be no random placement. I'm sure LEGO would have loved to make this promotion available in Europe, but it

These figures are not in the boxes in Europe because consumer law here means that you cannot show something on the boxes or in advertisements that is not in the box, so there can be no random placement. I'm sure LEGO would have loved to make this promotion available in Europe, but it’s not their call - if you have a problem with this legal prohibition then take it to you local member of the European parliament. (Good luck with that.)

Cheers,

M.

Well I am no lawyer (If you know this im guessin you are) So thanks for the info. I had no idea. God damn law!

Break the law Lego On!

BTW- Everything that is chromed gains a layer of thick 'chrome' (what else) - given how difficult it is to get mini-figure arms on normally I guess this is why the arms were attached first, then they would obvious have to be placed in a position where the part of the minifigure that did not receive a layer of chrome because of the arms was reduced to a minimum, and also to make sure the chrome got between the 'fingers' on the hand. (I'd like to see a machine try to do this - but given the small number of these figures I bet it was done by hand - very expensive - these are free remember.) As for the leg it seems like an unobtrusive place to attach the figure to the machine that it was chromed in.

Hmm, well put. However, could they not have lifted the arms so that they could cover under the arm and side of torso? If you suggested it was done by hand, couldn't they have been more precise and be able to chrome it all? Also, if done by hand, a stick in the leg would seem a practical place to put the stick while chroming the figure.

;-) .

Even on the back of the leg?

Maybe that's where the machine that dips it in the chromer held it.

8-|

I don't know how any of this works at all, so if what I just said is incredibly stupid, don't blame me. The only education I got about chroming was on The Punisher game when I was interrogating some guy. :-P

EDIT:

As for the leg it seems like an unobtrusive place to attach the figure to the machine that it was chromed in.

Oh, I wasn't completely off! Yay! X-D

Edited by iamded